New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 29, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #9,017 of 9,409
I’ll try the factory reset. I’m normally not too fussy but this particular bug is SO very noticeable to me that it’s genuinely affecting my enjoyment.

edit: sadly this did not work. The effect is not subtle. I tested with VE Monks and the sound quality change is obviously apparent even with them.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #9,018 of 9,409
I passed along the reports about the DAC filters to the QA team and it is being looked into.

I have done testing myself, about 45 hours with the SP1000SS and 30+ hours on the SP1000M, numerous headphones and IEMs and rolling between current and previous firmware and have not had any issues.

I do factory reset before moving between firmware versions. Has anyone tried a factory reset and still experiencing the same issues?
I could try that, however I don't think previous FW versions are publicly available.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #9,021 of 9,409
I have done testing myself, about 45 hours with the SP1000SS and 30+ hours on the SP1000M, numerous headphones and IEMs and rolling between current and previous firmware and have not had any issues.
Boot up the device;
Pick some track in redbook format, not hires like 48Khz or above;
Start playback - the difference is not dramatic, lows and mids are natural, there's a gradual slope in hf starting somewhere at 10+Khz;
Go to settings and switch during the track playback from pre-selected filter to any other, with sharp roll-off filters the difference should hypothetically be more noticeable;
You should immediately hear that highs become more "shimmering", YMMV of course;

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #9,022 of 9,409
I passed along the reports about the DAC filters to the QA team and it is being looked into.

I do factory reset before moving between firmware versions. Has anyone tried a factory reset and still experiencing the same issues?
Many thanks, Jason, this is most appreciated.

I can confirm, I've tried factory reset today (twice, actually) and the problem persists.

(BTW: I have v1.65CM on my device. I can't seem to get the device to pull v1.66. It says "There is no new software" when tapping the entry and it says "Running the latest version" next to the version info. It's a lapis blue SP1000M. Not sure whether that's relevant information.)

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #9,023 of 9,409
Many thanks, Jason, this is most appreciated.

I can confirm, I've tried factory reset today (twice, actually) and the problem persists.

(BTW: I have v1.65CM on my device. I can't seem to get the device to pull v1.66. It says "There is no new software" when tapping the entry and it says "Running the latest version" next to the version info. It's a lapis blue SP1000M. Not sure whether that's relevant information.)
Apart from localization differences v1.65CN and 1.66CM should be identical in behavior.

Sep 30, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #9,024 of 9,409

Just a quick follow-up: I've rolled back to v1.52 and the problem is gone (and so are all the nice new features and roon support of course :)): But, most importantly, sound signature is "back to normal". To me, this somehow confirms that it appears to be a problem that has been introduced with the "DAC filters selection" feature.

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #9,027 of 9,409

Did factory reset and this did not change the behavior, just restarting it helped. I guess what is happening is that wrong parameters are sent to the dac chip and in some strange way it switches to mono, ie canceling out high frequencies as a consequence. First I though impressive the impact of filters, but then you could not switch back again, eg remains dark

Oct 3, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #9,028 of 9,409

Yep. Did the factory reset before updating to the new firmware. The issue still persists as the default dark sound is still there.

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #9,029 of 9,409
I can confirm it is the latest firmware. 2 SP1000M, side by side, one with the most recent firmware, one is an update before it. Loading the exact same song, the 1000M with the latest firmware is noticeably darker sounding.

Super slow roll off filter does not have this issue, at least on the SP1000M. Or changing filter like mentioned before will also temporarily solve the issue.

This behavior (changing the filter and back) is not consistent from my testing though, sometimes when I plug in a new IEM and change to recent tracks (from swiping on the bottom of the screen, those have been played in the same session), it will not have a dark sounding issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back