New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #8,881 of 9,411
If you know the real prices for SP1000M you’d not be surprised…

The SP1000M is expensive. I managed to pick one up for half price vaguely recall about AU$1750, it was AU$3500 RRP. It is absolutely stellar SQ and drives all my headphones well including Audeze LCD3s, and is a great source in my car too. But Roon isn't an issue for me, I have a massive CD collection dating back from 1984 start, so I'm sticking with that platform for now.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #8,882 of 9,411
The SP1000M is expensive. I managed to pick one up for half price vaguely recall about AU$1750, it was AU$3500 RRP. It is absolutely stellar SQ and drives all my headphones well including Audeze LCD3s, and is a great source in my car too. But Roon isn't an issue for me, I have a massive CD collection dating back from 1984 start, so I'm sticking with that platform for now.
Brand new ?

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #8,884 of 9,411
Our US support team tested 3 different SP1000s running the latest firmware with Mac and all are recognized and output sound without issue.

Can I ask what version of MacOS you are using? Also are you using an Intel-based or M1 based Mac?

Can you confirm whether the SP1000 is meant to be working with the M1 based Macs? I've tried using mine with two different M1 Macs and neither will work with the SP1000 in DAC or USB mode. The Intel Macs I've tested with work fine. I'm running latest available firmware on the SP1000 and latest OS on the Macs. Can confirm specifics for each if that makes a difference.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #8,885 of 9,411
Have used both Tidal and Qobuz with my SP1000. Until recently both would happily download files to their local caches. But with the firmware upgrade this last month, this has become very erratic – despite the apps continuing to stream music just fine. It turns out that the SP1000 was reporting “no internet connection” – despite linking with the access points and streaming just fine. What.

I have a rather sophisticated network infrastructure which helped sleuth the issue. It seems likely that the SP1000 tests the internet connection by “pinging” a server in Taiwan. The route from here in Oz to there travels through Hong Kong. China is a massive source of malicious internet activity – my network gets probed on a daily basis. My network infrastructure blocks those probes – and, as the A&K traffic goes through Hong Kong, also the “ping” response that I suspect tells the SP1000 in is online. The firmware I have to guess then tells the Tidal/Qobuz app that it’s not online – at least for some aspect of downloading – and the downloads stall.

The work around is to set the network content firewall to allow the bypass the China geographic blocks while leaving all the malicious attack prevention in place. Then all back to normal. But it would be nice if the Firmware had not changed what was working fine. Obviously, this is all surmise; but it’s clear that with some China traffic blocked, the SP1000 doesn’t think it has an internet connection – and when the block is removed it is happy….

To be clear, this is very much an edge case – at least for now. I really can’t imagine that any Aussie customers are going to have a problem – but I can imagine at a global level there will be some who might and are not sure why things are now not working as before.

Hope this helps someone...

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #8,886 of 9,411
Having a SP1000M myself and hearing you drive headphones with it easily, I sometimes wonder what volume is too loud to listen safely with my vision ears ve8 (22 ohm impedance and 120 dB SPL sensitivity).
AK software says over 55 can damage your ears but somehow I’m thinking that may be the case for headphones and not for a sensitive IEM? I guess over 25 is maybe potentially harmful? Not sure if it’s possible to calculate the safe listening volume?

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #8,887 of 9,411
Can you confirm whether the SP1000 is meant to be working with the M1 based Macs? I've tried using mine with two different M1 Macs and neither will work with the SP1000 in DAC or USB mode. The Intel Macs I've tested with work fine. I'm running latest available firmware on the SP1000 and latest OS on the Macs. Can confirm specifics for each if that makes a difference.
A workaround that I discovered that worked for me, in case it is an issue for anyone else, is to plug the SP1000 into a generic USB 2.0 hub, and then it's recognised by the computer.

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #8,889 of 9,411
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #8,891 of 9,411
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #8,893 of 9,411
Anyone else lose sound from one channel on an intermittent basis since the latest firmware update? I'm using a SP1000m

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #8,895 of 9,411
I also only use locally stored files. Hopefully the new firmware 1.62 fixes the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back