New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #8,821 of 9,406
I have the exact same problem. When I have wifi enabled it just reboots randomly, sometimes it gives me enough time to download a full album off apple music, sometimes it restarts as soon as I get connected to my wifi.

Edit: I had a hunch of whats going on. I think if your wifi router combines 2.4G and 5G then you'll have this problem. If you configure your router and split the SSIDs then the problem goes away. I'm currently connected to a 2.4G only router and so far so good. Haven't had a restart in almost an hour now.

@JasonNYC Hi Jason, could you please pass this information on to the devs. This problem, I believe is caused by 5G wifi or 2.4G/5G mixed wifi. I can't remember which firmware introduced this problem but it's been a while. Thanks.
Hey Ken!

Finally someone else with the same issue!! And I think you could be right! I used to have 2.4/5G separate on my previous router and then when I got FTTP and a new Asus XT8 wifi 6 mesh I combined them! I bet the SP1000 is only stable over 2.4G and when it tries to connect to the 5G is crashes!! Finally!!!!!

Nice one Ken, hopefully the devs can work this issue into a firmware to stop it happening, as i'm not splitting my SSID's for 2.4/5G.

walshy

May 10, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #8,822 of 9,406
I have the exact same problem. When I have wifi enabled it just reboots randomly, sometimes it gives me enough time to download a full album off apple music, sometimes it restarts as soon as I get connected to my wifi.

Edit: I had a hunch of whats going on. I think if your wifi router combines 2.4G and 5G then you'll have this problem. If you configure your router and split the SSIDs then the problem goes away. I'm currently connected to a 2.4G only router and so far so good. Haven't had a restart in almost an hour now.

@JasonNYC Hi Jason, could you please pass this information on to the devs. This problem, I believe is caused by 5G wifi or 2.4G/5G mixed wifi. I can't remember which firmware introduced this problem but it's been a while. Thanks.
I can confirm I have the same exact issue on my wifi connection that shares the same SSID for 2.5/5ghz. I assume this is the issue as it works fine on my backup internet connection where the 2.5ghz and 5ghz wifi have different SSIDs. Thank you for this info, I passed it onto the dev team as this looks to be what is causing the issue.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 11, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #8,823 of 9,406
I can confirm I have the same exact issue on my wifi connection that shares the same SSID for 2.5/5ghz. I assume this is the issue as it works fine on my backup internet connection where the 2.5ghz and 5ghz wifi have different SSIDs. Thank you for this info, I passed it onto the dev team as this looks to be what is causing the issue.

Great news....let's hope the dev team can fix this issue for the upcoming FW.

Cheers

May 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #8,824 of 9,406
Have a few issues I've noticed since the last firmware update:
- mentioned this before, but the SP1000 doesn't work any more as a DAC. My Mac recognizes it for a split second, then it disappears. Pretty frustrating.
- since I can't use as a USB DAC, I started using it as a Roon endpoint. However, after enabling Roon Ready, the auto-shutoff timer doesn't work any more. It's set to 30 mins, but the device will stay on until the battery runs out, so I have to remember to turn off.

May 11, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #8,825 of 9,406
Have a few issues I've noticed since the last firmware update:
- mentioned this before, but the SP1000 doesn't work any more as a DAC. My Mac recognizes it for a split second, then it disappears. Pretty frustrating.
- since I can't use as a USB DAC, I started using it as a Roon endpoint. However, after enabling Roon Ready, the auto-shutoff timer doesn't work any more. It's set to 30 mins, but the device will stay on until the battery runs out, so I have to remember to turn off.
Our US support team tested 3 different SP1000s running the latest firmware with Mac and all are recognized and output sound without issue.

Can I ask what version of MacOS you are using? Also are you using an Intel-based or M1 based Mac?

SP1000 USB DAC Mac.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 11, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #8,826 of 9,406
Quick update on firmware for embedded Tidal app.

Still on target for this month, but I still do not have a concrete release date. I was told last night there would be more info at the end of the week.

The following 13 models will receive firmware updates to fix the embedded Tidal issue in May:

SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SE200, SE180, SE100, KANN ALPHA, SR25, SA700, KANN CUBE, SR15, ACTIVO CT15, ACTIVO CT10.

The AK Connect app for iOS and Android will also be updated to fix the embedded Tidal issue. The updated apps will be available in the Apple and Google app stores after the player updates.

May 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #8,827 of 9,406
@JasonNYC

Any chance that a "Roon Ready" update is on the way for SP1000M? I am trying to be patient... :relaxed:

May 13, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #8,828 of 9,406
Is the SP1000/SP1K still considered a worthwhile purchase or would users suggest I consider alternatives? Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried the SP2000. But my SP1000 is awesome. It even drives my Audeze LCD4's pretty capably, and as loud as I need. It is also an unbelievably high quality and convenient source in my car and I have a pretty serious aftermarket system with Hertz speakers and three hertz 802 amps and a Helix Ultra DSP.

It isn't as good as my Burson Conductor or Chord Qutest/Sparko Aries. But it is a portable.

May 13, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #8,829 of 9,406
Is the SP1000/SP1K still considered a worthwhile purchase or would users suggest I consider alternatives? Thanks in advance.

I’ve owned the following: SP1000, AK380+amp, SE200, Kann Cube.

I’ve listened the SP2000. The resolution is amazing, a real step up from the SP1000. But the super warm sound signature put me off. I was already looking to replace the SP1000 with a colder, more powerful DAP.

Feels like that part of the price difference on the SP line comes from that super premium experience: wooden box, amazing finish, etc (I love that kind of experience btw). But when it comes to sound there are margins for your personal preferences.

My favorite sound is still the AK380+amp. I want to own another one as soon as I can. Hope the price goes down since Tidal dropped the ball and A&K does not have enough clout to fight for us on that matter. Still feels like AK has not yet released a spiritual successor to the AK380’s sound signature and it does not want it to, they’re taking a different path.

Another thing to take into consideration: I’ve bought my SP1000 two years ago and I already HATED the sluggish UI back then. And when you use the same interface with newer AK DAPs the SP1000 gets more unbearable to use. Not everything is about the sound.

I’d say the Roon endpoint update gave it a little bit of extra life, but too little too late. So, at the end, what made me sell the SP1000: way too warm signature to my taste, unforgivably slow UI and the two years delay on the roon implementation (and when I sold felt like AK scammed was and that was never going to happen).

I’ve switched then to the SE200. UI works as it should, multi-dac fun, filters were SE200 exclusive back-then, more powerful. Not a luxurious experience but the sound was more to my taste.

Had to sell it but when the time came to buy another DAP I went with the Kann Cube. I’m not one to use DAPs when commuting or walking down the street so the size factor did not matter to me. I need a really powerful DAP as I have some annoyingly demanding CIEMs (almost desktop CIEMs lol) and the Kann Cube has power to spare AND I really liked the sound signature when I listened to it during my SP1K days. Colder, more analytical. The only reason I did not go for the Kann Alpha yet is because I still have not heard it and I got a better deal at the Cube which I was already familiar with.

And I did not even listened to the SP1000 amp. Close friends with similar tastes to mine really enjoyed that combo.

So yeah, sorry for the long text. Coffee kicked in. Conclusion: A&K has plenty plenty of different options to all kinds of tastes and experiences. What they suck in some areas (ROON delay cough, lack of transparency in that matter cough cough) they make up for releasing one or two different cool DAPs per year. The SP1000 may still be worth to you. There is only way to find out for sure: go to the closest A&K dealer and try ’em all. If I had the means I’d own a bunch of them at the same time. For all I criticize A&K I’m still a huge fan of their sound and products.

Or just shoot in the dark. Buy one used, listen to it, read about it, read about some others, sell it, buy another one. That’s part of the journey and part of the fun!

Ps.: is the SP1K Android 5.0 or what? I don’t remember. Tidal dropped support, remember that when considering the SP1K. Still works, but no more APK updates. Same with the Kann Cube. I’ve switched to Qobuz just in time.

May 13, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #8,830 of 9,406
Thanks Sam, what a choice selection of gear you have! Brax is lovely stuff.
Thanks :) yes Brax is very nice. I'd like some more, like a car full, but that would be greedy LOL. The hybrid of brands, Hertz, Brax, Helix and a Kenwood Head unit I have in the car works great and it gets a lot of use, far more than my home speaker-based hifi that sadly gets used for home theatre 95% of the time.

Note the SP1000 doesn't drive the LCD4s to uncomfortable levels or distortion. I'd say it gets them to "comfortably loud" if I had to put words to it. It is about the same volume as the headphone socket of my full size Marantz CD80. On my Burson Conductor and my Marantz PM80 integrated I can get the LCD4s unbelievably loud. And just for the record I need to sell the Audeze LCD3s as I bought the LCD4s as an upgrade. But the LCDxc are what I use the most as closed-back keeps my wife happier :)

But the Audeze are planars and not very efficient. I suspect the SP1000 would drive most conventional headphones beyond comfort.

I was lucky enough to sell hifi part-time at a top-end hifi store in Australia while I was at Uni in the early '90s. Ten minute walk between Uni and work. Awesome job for a 20yo music fanatic. So once I had heard really good gear there was no going back, and back then I could get gear at wholesale prices. I bought a pair of Sennheiser headphones at the time, about AU$350 RRP which was a shirtload of money in the early '90s especially for a uni student, maybe the HD580s from memory. Plus I still have my Marantz CD80 player and PM80 amp, a 200wpc Rotel RB1080 power amp, some Dalisuite 3.5 floorstanding speakers and Dynaudio Image 1 two-way bookshelf speakers from that time.

We sold Dali, Spendor, Bose, Rotel, Marantz, Dynaudio, Sony, Yamaha and a few other brands. We had Nakamichi Including a 200wpc pre-power combo that was about AU$10,000 and that was the early '90s. And the legendary Nakamichi Dragon four head cassette player. The Marantz PM95 integrated amp and two-piece CD12 player were astonishing. Spendor S100s were genius at classical and the Dali 40 floor standing speakers are still pretty much as good as anything I've ever heard and the Dali DaCapo ribbon hybrids were simply breathtaking with full length ribbons maybe 1.5m long. The midrange and treble above the 400hz crossover is still the most realistic reproduction of piano, violin, most other acoustic instruments, and the human voice I've ever heard. We sold so much Bose, not so refined but awesome party gear and the designs were so innovative. Things like the Bose 901s and AM5 satellite/sub combo blew people away.

I picked up a Musical Fidelity Nuvista pre amp with the legendary metal nuvistor tubes, one of 500 made, 2nd hand maybe about the year 2000??? That and the Rotel RB1080 are just beyond spectacular together. I've always wanted the matching nuvistor power amps but they never come onto the market and are insanely expensive if they do, about the same price as a new mid size Toyota car :wink:

The Musical Fidelity nu-vista tube story is a great read:

"His travails in merely acquiring enough nuvistors to make sufficient numbers of a specific model would make interesting reading, but space precludes it. Suffice to say, none of the tube suppliers took him seriously until he produced the funds up front to prove his intent. Hey, presto – thousands of the little gems were suddenly on their way to Olympic Trading Estate, enough to put four in each of the 500 examples he will produce of the Nu-Vista pre-amplifiers, with Musical Fidelity keeping in storage a complete set of replacement nuvistors for each one; this accounts for 4000 of the little bleeders. And with nuvistors enjoying a life estimated at around 100,000 hours, well, MF reckons that’s good for 12-15 years. So, even with heavy use, Nu-Vistas on the second set of nuvistors should be working until 2025. If the planet’s still working."

Ken Kessler review (Hi-Fi News & Record Review, August 1998)

I have an AK SP1000M and it is astonishingly good. It drives my Audeze well, LCD3, LCDxc LCDi3 and LCD4. Unbelievable source for my home hifi's at a pinch and so good in the car with a top end system, Brax, Hertz and Helix combo. My AK70 is even respectable for all those purposes. Actually, I'll try the SP1000M out again with the LCD4's to check. But the SQ is outstanding, if it comes up short with the LCD4s it's just the little extra volume you want very occasionally. I can plug it into my Burson Conductor 3x or Sparko Aries as a line level source in my home systems and it's great. Not as good as the Chord Qutest or the Burson Conductor 3x DAC but it's more than respectable. Portables have come such a long way.

But I'm sure the SP2000 is an absolute cracker. I guess it's a matter of price vs performance and features. I did start with an AK70 which I love and that is an awesome bit of kit, and I thought it was so expensive when I bought it. I never would have gone for a SP1000 without the AK70 as a stepping stone. The AK70 gets used for music when I'm running and at the gym now.

I hope that all doesn't sound too much like gloating, you've sent me down memory lane which is really nice. I will say two things that have worked for me. Wherever possible buy high quality and buy it once and keep it. And 2nd hand and superseded models can get you outstanding quality while saving you an absolute fortune.

May 13, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #8,831 of 9,406
Ps.: is the SP1K Android 5.0 or what? I don’t remember. Tidal dropped support, remember that when considering the SP1K. Still works, but no more APK updates. Same with the Kann Cube. I’ve switched to Qobuz just in time.

The SP1KM is definitely using higher than Android 5 as the latest Tidal apk still works. I suspect it is Android 6 but can't verify. I don't own a SP1K but I believe it is the same base OS.

May 14, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #8,832 of 9,406
I mean, depends on pricing. Sub $1500 like they usually go for and its a great player. Maybe there are better sq/$ deals if you get something like an opus #2, but those players very much so feel crazy old and the sp1000 just doesn't. Plus, tbh, it goes well with most stuff. Clears, Arya, mest, VX, diana V2, and basicaky everything I own works well on the sp1k. Are there better portable pairing for each? Yes. Are those better pairing availible under 1.5x what a sp1000 goes for used? No, they tend to be in the 3-4k usd + range.

TLDR - not worth at retail, very worth at used pricing

Edit: good point about apps, but keep in mind android 5 to Android 6 was a massive massive change. Once Android 6 is not supported you will proabaly need Android 8+. Plus, tbh, roon just works and is better than the tibal app anyways 🤷‍♀️
Opus#2 is much cheaper both used and new, and I still love the sound of that. You're correct that the main problem is that it feels like a much older device, and I'm having major battery issues on mine.

May 14, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #8,833 of 9,406
I was away for a few months and came back to my SP1000M with the battery swollen and separated the back from the body. Has anybody had this happen to them. I've been trying to find how to get this fixed but can't seem to find anything in the A&K website. Does anybody know how I can get this repaired? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #8,834 of 9,406
I was away for a few months and came back to my SP1000M with the battery swollen and separated the back from the body. Has anybody had this happen to them. I've been trying to find how to get this fixed but can't seem to find anything in the A&K website. Does anybody know how I can get this repaired? Thanks!
Contact A&K-US in Irvine CA - cost me $65 to replace the battery. took about 3 weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back