New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #8,806 of 9,409
I mean, depends on pricing. Sub $1500 like they usually go for and its a great player. Maybe there are better sq/$ deals if you get something like an opus #2, but those players very much so feel crazy old and the sp1000 just doesn't. Plus, tbh, it goes well with most stuff. Clears, Arya, mest, VX, diana V2, and basicaky everything I own works well on the sp1k. Are there better portable pairing for each? Yes. Are those better pairing availible under 1.5x what a sp1000 goes for used? No, they tend to be in the 3-4k usd + range.

TLDR - not worth at retail, very worth at used pricing
Thanks, definitely appreciate you sharing your perspectives.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #8,807 of 9,409
Thanks, definitely appreciate you sharing your perspectives.

Np at all. Tbh, in this end of the market, its kinda hard to go wrong imo. Yes there are better and worse deals but even the "worst" of the totl daps 2019 or newer are damn damn good. Only thing I would watch out for is roon doesnt work on sp1000M and you can't use USB dac mode while using the amp. Tjose are my personal only 2 complaints.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #8,808 of 9,409
Np at all. Tbh, in this end of the market, its kinda hard to go wrong imo. Yes there are better and worse deals but even the "worst" of the totl daps 2019 or newer are damn damn good. Only thing I would watch out for is roon doesnt work on sp1000M and you can't use USB dac mode while using the amp. Tjose are my personal only 2 complaints.

Yeah, the lack of a Roon update on my SP1000M was an absolutely astonishing occurrence. I'm still furious about it. I mean it's the exact same hardware... Grrr... And, of course, there has been no substantive update on status. Believe it or not the "Roon Ready" update and the SP1000M were announced at the same time.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #8,809 of 9,409
I mean, depends on pricing. Sub $1500 like they usually go for and its a great player. Maybe there are better sq/$ deals if you get something like an opus #2, but those players very much so feel crazy old and the sp1000 just doesn't. Plus, tbh, it goes well with most stuff. Clears, Arya, mest, VX, diana V2, and basicaky everything I own works well on the sp1k. Are there better portable pairing for each? Yes. Are those better pairing availible under 1.5x what a sp1000 goes for used? No, they tend to be in the 3-4k usd + range.

TLDR - not worth at retail, very worth at used pricing

Edit: good point about apps, but keep in mind android 5 to Android 6 was a massive massive change. Once Android 6 is not supported you will proabaly need Android 8+. Plus, tbh, roon just works and is better than the tibal app anyways 🤷‍♀️
I'm looking for a way to use roon on my SPK when when I'm outside, and not connected to the same wifi with my NAS Synology.
All my music is stocked on the Nas.
Maybe could you or anyone here help me !?

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #8,810 of 9,409
I'm looking for a way to use roon on my SPK when when I'm outside, and not connected to the same wifi with my NAS Synology.
There is no way to do this without another device acting as the wifi source taht is directly directky tethered in using VPN or the like and even still you would be better off running a second server off of a local device (and just using unlp to access the files remotely). Imo, a small windows tablet/mini laptop is probanaly the best way to go about this, bit its still highly unideal

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #8,811 of 9,409
Roon is designed to have Roon Core and Roon endpoints on the same network. Roon currently does not support remote or mobile connections. If you follow their community boards, it is something they are considering implementing sometime in the future, but there is no current plan by Roon to do so.

There are people who have gotten it to work mobile or remotely through the use of VPNs, but it is not officially supported by Roon.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #8,812 of 9,409
There is no way to do this without another device acting as the wifi source taht is directly directky tethered in using VPN or the like and even still you would be better off running a second server off of a local device (and just using unlp to access the files remotely). Imo, a small windows tablet/mini laptop is probanaly the best way to go about this, bit its still highly unideal
Roon is designed to have Roon Core and Roon endpoints on the same network. Roon currently does not support remote or mobile connections. If you follow their community boards, it is something they are considering implementing sometime in the future, but there is no current plan by Roon to do so.

There are people who have gotten it to work mobile or remotely through the use of VPNs, but it is not officially supported by Roon.
Thanks to @JasonNYC and @eskamobob1 for your responses.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #8,813 of 9,409
Yeah, the lack of a Roon update on my SP1000M was an absolutely astonishing occurrence. I'm still furious about it. I mean it's the exact same hardware... Grrr... And, of course, there has been no substantive update on status. Believe it or not the "Roon Ready" update and the SP1000M were announced at the same time.

I almost bought one thinking it had roon and the deal fell through. Glad I dony have it now as it was my entire use case...

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #8,814 of 9,409

Just to reiterate to the guy that intial asked, you can do it, but uts super tough and one of the major hiccups is roon doesn't like endpoint latency, so you have to truck it about so it doesn't just endlessly fastforward stuff.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #8,815 of 9,409
I asked Roon support about the DSD and PCM rate restrictions on there AK SP1000.
Below is their reply. They say It is due to bandwidth concerns but was imposed by AK not them:

john john Roon Labs: Support
April 28
Hello @stewart_crowther,

The maximum PCM and DSD rates on the SP1000’s Roon Ready implementation were determined by Astell & Kern after extensive testing. Roon Ready playback traverses the network in a fully uncompressed state (like WAV or raw DSD) which potentially places more stress on the network verses other methods.

-John

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #8,816 of 9,409
I asked Roon support about the DSD and PCM rate restrictions on there AK SP1000.
Below is their reply. They say It is due to bandwidth concerns but was imposed by AK not them:

john john Roon Labs: Support
April 28
Hello @stewart_crowther,

The maximum PCM and DSD rates on the SP1000’s Roon Ready implementation were determined by Astell & Kern after extensive testing. Roon Ready playback traverses the network in a fully uncompressed state (like WAV or raw DSD) which potentially places more stress on the network verses other methods.

-John
This confirms my thoughts. Wifi strength has always been the most limiting part of my AK experience. I use HQPlayer and it sends files upsampled to the dacs highest rates. Even with the best wifi implementations I experienced dropouts after 192k. So far the roon ready on the SP1000 has been flawless so it was a good choice by AK.

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #8,817 of 9,409
I tell you what, people might have a love hate relationship with A&K (mainly for being the cause of crazy dap price trends) but when they release a high end player it makes a sizable dent in the industry.
That's cos they are s*h*i*t hot. Even the entry level AKs are great. I have an AK70, AK SP1000M and a FiiO M11 Pro. All awesome for what they are and cost. The SP1000M is simply sublime by any standard and a real test and standard setter for full size gear. Plugged into my Helix Ultra it is absolutely unbelievable. It also drives my Audeze LCDi3, LCDxc and LCD4s amazingly well for a portable. Not as good as my Burson 3 Reference and my Chord Qutest/ Sparko Aries is a step up again. But seriously, that's high level full size mains powered competition.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #8,819 of 9,409
I'm not sure when this changed, but Amazon Music UltraHD is now recognizing my SP1000M at 24/192 without any workarounds. Amazon Music version is 17.8.5.

May 5, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #8,820 of 9,409
@JasonNYC any update from the engineers as to why my SP1000 crashes and reboots when wifi enabled? All the time. Renders my SP1000 useless for ROON.
Cheers
I have the exact same problem. When I have wifi enabled it just reboots randomly, sometimes it gives me enough time to download a full album off apple music, sometimes it restarts as soon as I get connected to my wifi.

Edit: I had a hunch of whats going on. I think if your wifi router combines 2.4G and 5G then you'll have this problem. If you configure your router and split the SSIDs then the problem goes away. I'm currently connected to a 2.4G only router and so far so good. Haven't had a restart in almost an hour now.

@JasonNYC Hi Jason, could you please pass this information on to the devs. This problem, I believe is caused by 5G wifi or 2.4G/5G mixed wifi. I can't remember which firmware introduced this problem but it's been a while. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back