New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 23, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #8,087 of 9,406
Today I installed update 1.52CM on SP1000, it took about 15 minutes. No problems!

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #8,088 of 9,406
The newest update works perfectly. It was the one before it that created issues with the microcard.

It makes sense that you can't use one big file with multiple tracks governed by a cue file to make a playlist. The device can't read the tracks. As I mentioned before, if you simply break up the files into tracks the device can then easily read them without the need for a cue and you can also make playlists from them. There are lots of free apps that can accomplish this, and it doesn't take much time at all. As to .wv support, I wouldn't hold my breath. The last file format addition to my knowledge was MQA.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #8,089 of 9,406
I’m also using the latest update 1.52CM without any issues. I have also installed several Open Services streaming applications without any issues including .apk and .xapk files. I am very impressed with AK support and development efforts. Cheers to AK. A phenomenal set of products. Great sound quality as well.

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #8,090 of 9,406
olddude, or anyone, Jason? I have question for you guys regarding MQA files. I purchased a new amp and wanted to use the SP1000 as a DAC and get the benefit of MQA in Tidal.
However as you can see from the image below it seems that in Roon, "I purchased the lifetime sub", that It only allow for the decoder and signaling, it seem using the USB dac out it doesn't do the full MQA unfold. is this accurate? Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 8.07.39 AM.png

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #8,091 of 9,406
Sorry, I only use MQA files "physically" in my device. I can't speak about streaming services. But it sure looks like yours is throttling the signal. Maybe shoot Roon an email?

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #8,092 of 9,406
Thank you, ill await some more feedback. appreciate you.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #8,093 of 9,406
olddude, or anyone, Jason? I have question for you guys regarding MQA files. I purchased a new amp and wanted to use the SP1000 as a DAC and get the benefit of MQA in Tidal.
However as you can see from the image below it seems that in Roon, "I purchased the lifetime sub", that It only allow for the decoder and signaling, it seem using the USB dac out it doesn't do the full MQA unfold. is this accurate? Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 8.07.39 AM.png
It’s my experience that all unfolding and decoding is done pre dac in the SP1000. In usb dac mode there is no MQA decoding. it is only a straightforward dac. In your (and my) case, Roon does the first unfold and sends that to the dac. The dac must be mqa enabled to further process. Also, if you use the SP1000 as a source to another dac through usb then it only does the first unfold. When used with the internal dac it does the first unfold and the final decode foe full mqa. Hope this helps.

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #8,094 of 9,406
Got it, I wasn’t sure, now I’m clear thank you guys for the feedback.

Apr 25, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #8,095 of 9,406
Sorry, I only use MQA files "physically" in my device. I can't speak about streaming services. But it sure looks like yours is throttling the signal. Maybe shoot Roon an email?
Can you please share some of your mqa files with me? Pm me please

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #8,096 of 9,406
I only have two albums, Donald Fagan's Nightfly and The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed. Can't say I am enamored of MQA on either. I wouldn't get another in that format. In fact, I like the 16/44 of the Stones better and the original 24/44 of Nightfly better.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #8,098 of 9,406
People posted that the Gold was slightly warmer, due to the materials in the case. But I think the Blue is just paint. Thus it would be the same as the rest of the M's.

I have a 1000SS which is slightly less warm than a CU. There's not much of a difference.

A lot of the "differences" can be extremely minor. Given that the Gold is impossible to find new (unless things have changed), it likely goes for more used than do the other M's.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #8,099 of 9,406
The sound of the SP1000M is still fresh in my mind. I'm not sure how much of that was attributed to my Layla's but the detail retrieval in familiar music was interesting. It's always surprising to hear new details in music you're familiar with. Nonetheless, I appreciate your input.

Hello Jason. I happens to run into the same problem and thanks to your post, it gave me the pointer to look into the issue. I hope you have solved your problem, and in my case, I have found that the problem to be related to my router, where I have set up my SSID to allow auto switching between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

What I did was I setup a new guest SSID that do only 2.4Ghz and have my SP 1000 connect to that instead. This seems to solve the reboot problem for my case, in case you or anyone have the same problem are looking for a fix, this might give you an option.

best regards.

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #8,100 of 9,406
People posted that the Gold was slightly warmer, due to the materials in the case. But I think the Blue is just paint. Thus it would be the same as the rest of the M's.

I have a 1000SS which is slightly less warm than a CU. There's not much of a difference.

A lot of the "differences" can be extremely minor. Given that the Gold is impossible to find new (unless things have changed), it likely goes for more used than do the other M's.
Thanks, bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back