New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 17, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #8,056 of 9,411
dff and dsf files usualy very bad or not tagged at all. Go in folder mode and find the music were it is stored. I hope track numbering is in the name.

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #8,057 of 9,411
Yeah, didn't mention that. I do have cue files. that's why i don't understand the problem. Should I move .cue files from the initial album folder somewhere else?..
Again, I think there is a folder for cue files in root (Internal) but I haven't tried it. If you did put cues there you would likely need the attached albums also in Internal, not in your micro SD card.

.wv files? All I found was this and I doubt the SP will read them.

https://file.org/extension/wv

Apr 17, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #8,058 of 9,411
dff and dsf files usualy very bad or not tagged at all. Go in folder mode and find the music were it is stored. I hope track numbering is in the name.
Again, I think there is a folder for cue files in root (Internal) but I haven't tried it. If you did put cues there you would likely need the attached albums also in Internal, not in your micro SD card.

.wv files? All I found was this and I doubt the SP will read them.

https://file.org/extension/wv

Currently, all my music is on the internal memory, in "music" folder. I haven't moved .cue files anywhere yet, I hope A&K representative will provide more insight on how the system works or what should i try/how to get to the root/cue files
I am using search by folder, but the only files I see music itself, without .cue. Yet it is there when I look at sp1000 memory via my laptop.

About .wv Yeah, I actually didn't notice that music was in this format before, as I didn't have any problems with reading it with both foobar and dx80
Firstly, I thought that the problem was with 1.0.0. firmware, as dx80 also learned to separate songs with .cue on some albums not from the beginning (although it was mystery why some it did, and some didn't). So I updated sp1000 to the latest version but it didn't help.

Nevertheless, thank you both for the help.

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #8,059 of 9,411
Regarding cue files. I have got a lot of albums like that. I mean there is one flac and one cue file in the folder.
SP1000 reads these cue files without a problem, but the only way to see these files (cue files split, visible as particular songs) you have to go to the "Album" section from the main menu of the SP player.
At the top right corner find the icon called CUE (grayed out by default I think). Just click it (enable) and there you go. You can see all your cue files as an individual songs.

If that is what you were looking for.

Here Main Menu/Album screen: (CUE icon grayed out, default)
2020-04-17 19-22-46e.jpg

Here the same location but CUE icon enabled:
2020-04-17 19-22-14e.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #8,060 of 9,411
Regarding cue files. I have got a lot of albums like that. I mean there is one flac and one cue file in the folder.
SP1000 reads these cue files without a problem, but the only way to see these files (cue files split, visible as particular songs) you have to go to the "Album" section from the main menu of the SP player.
At the top right corner find the icon called CUE (grayed out by default I think). Just click it (enable) and there you go. You can see all your cue files as an individual songs.

If that is what you were looking for.
Here Main Menu/Album screen: (CUE icon grayed out, default)

Here the same location but CUE icon enabled:
Thanks a lot, mate, It works! But why they made it like this, when .cue work only in Album search?... This is not a very intuitive approach as by me

Also, note for someone, who may find it valuable - in album->cue mode .wv can be read!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #8,061 of 9,411
No, It is not intuitive at all.
I wish cue files were visible in the other menus as well.
Most likely I use Artist search and it would be great to have it there as well.

Jason, could you please ask such question? Would it be possible to have cue files visible not only in Album menu?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #8,062 of 9,411
That's tagging. If you have a full album not broken up, the SP can't read individual songs unless you have included a cue sheet. If you do have a cue, it should read it (I believe there is a cue folder down in root but maybe someone else can weigh in on that). If you have a Mac, download freeware XLD and it can break the album down into songs using the cue. That way you're sure to get songs.

If you are saying you have a single album listed as, say Abbey Road.FLAC, and no cue, I don't see how the device can read the songs as they aren't tagged. Only the album is.

As to SACD and WAV files, the device can read them, so again I suspect tagging issues.

Tagging editors are free or cheap. When you tag, it should be Song Title, Artist, Album at the very minimum. That way the device can sort everything and then find everything.

Hello, how do you manage your AK Dap to read SACD files ?

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #8,064 of 9,411
Hello, how do you manage your AK Dap to read SACD files ?
Ah- I see what I did. I meant to say "can't" read SACD but can read .wav. sorry about that. The only way I know to get SACD files is to convert using an old PlayStation. But then they are not in SACD format. :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #8,066 of 9,411
Ah- I see what I did. I meant to say "can't" read SACD but can read .wav. sorry about that. The only way I know to get SACD files is to convert using an old PlayStation. But then they are not in SACD format. :)
No longer limited with only using PS3 for the SACD ripping.
A compatible SACD player allows it to be ripped to ISO.

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #8,067 of 9,411
No, It is not intuitive at all.
I wish cue files were visible in the other menus as well.
Most likely I use Artist search and it would be great to have it there as well.

Jason, could you please ask such question? Would it be possible to have cue files visible not only in Album menu?
Yeah, I mean soundwise sp1000 is almost perfect. Although I found sp2000 a little bit better for my taste, but not significantly. And I would still buy it just for the sound....But it's still a bit disappointing that player for 3,5k USD has worse file reading than cheap old ibasso dx80 for 300 USD.

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #8,070 of 9,411
I've been using my SP1000cu via the 3.5mm (ground) out and 2.5mm out, connected to my amp, XIAudio Broadway via XLR connections. The sound is great. The cable is made by an eBay seller, stinky1965, and is made with Furutech connectors and Cardas 4 x 23.5 awg cable. See pic below. If anyone is interested, let me know. He charges around $250.20191123_123255.jpg
I would like the same cable for my sp1000. Could you help me out. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back