New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #6,781 of 9,411
Gentlemen, don't you really hear the difference in the sound of the last two firmwares or don't you want to admit to yourself that it is? That's how only marketers, not engineers, can stimulate the purchase of new devices. I'm sorry, but no longer will I be buying new Astell&Kern devices.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #6,782 of 9,411
Frankly, this "latest firmware changed the sound" history has been coming out at every damn firmware update, since the very first A&K player. I never noticed any change, if you want to believe all those who feel the same are a bunch of manipulated idiots, well...up to you. It's not the most clever way to introduce yourself at your 5th post here.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #6,783 of 9,411
I've already dropped the sound question here, but I'll ask you again. In fact, nobody hears the changes in the sound of the player for the worse, after installing the firmware 1.19?

P.S. Factory reset does not solve the problem. The magic of Astell&Kern sound has disappeared.

A&K already confirmed that they don't change the sound signature with firmware updates. So yes, nobody hears the changes because there aren't any.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,784 of 9,411
I always thought that the concepts of "say" and "hear" could lie in different planes. A&K can say anything. I repeat once again - the rollback of the firmware returned the sound to the previous level of "magic".

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #6,785 of 9,411
I always thought that the concepts of "say" and "hear" could lie in different planes. A&K can say anything. I repeat once again - the rollback of the firmware returned the sound to the previous level of "magic".

How did you download the old version of the firmware, the firmware page on AK site does not have a link for download,

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #6,786 of 9,411
Unless you had AK put an old firmware back in (which I have never heard of them doing), how did you you get in there and roll the firmware back? Other companies do change sound sig with updates (Fiio especially) but AK does not. Now your player might have been a bit corrupted and the new firmware, being clean, might have sounded different. But I've had three AK's and have never heard a sound sig difference (And that would be at least 15-20 updates).

If you choose to stop using AK, that's certainly your prerogative. No one is forcing you to use it. It's pretty easy to sell stuff here in the For Sale section.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #6,787 of 9,411
I have the firmware in the form of an "update.hex" file. Yes, it can't be downloaded from the official A&K website. I rolled back the firmware by simply copying the specified file into the player's main memory and performing the update procedure. Summary - I believe only in my ears.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #6,788 of 9,411
I have the firmware in the form of an "update.hex" file. Yes, it can't be downloaded from the official A&K website. I rolled back the firmware by simply copying the specified file into the player's main memory and performing the update procedure. Summary - I believe only in my ears.

Thx for the reply. i am not able to find it on the AK site. Let me PM you.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #6,791 of 9,411
Hoping Roon upgrade will be rolling out soon. That will change things but not the sound.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #6,792 of 9,411
Unless you had AK put an old firmware back in (which I have never heard of them doing), how did you you get in there and roll the firmware back? Other companies do change sound sig with updates (Fiio especially) but AK does not. Now your player might have been a bit corrupted and the new firmware, being clean, might have sounded different. But I've had three AK's and have never heard a sound sig difference (And that would be at least 15-20 updates).

If you choose to stop using AK, that's certainly your prerogative. No one is forcing you to use it. It's pretty easy to sell stuff here in the For Sale section.
I couldn’t agree more. I have personally never heard a difference in firmware, and I to, have had a handful of AK players.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #6,793 of 9,411
Gentlemen, don't you really hear the difference in the sound of the last two firmwares or don't you want to admit to yourself that it is? That's how only marketers, not engineers, can stimulate the purchase of new devices. I'm sorry, but no longer will I be buying new Astell&Kern devices.

If you like the sound of the old firmware , why don't you just stick to it and not update to the new one?

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #6,794 of 9,411
I couldn’t agree more. I have personally never heard a difference in firmware, and I to, have had a handful of AK players.
If you don't hear the difference in sound, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If you like the sound of the old firmware , why don't you just stick to it and not update to the new one?
That's what I'm doing right now, staying on the old firmware.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #6,795 of 9,411
Frankly, this "latest firmware changed the sound" history has been coming out at every damn firmware update, since the very first A&K player. I never noticed any change, if you want to believe all those who feel the same are a bunch of manipulated idiots, well...up to you. It's not the most clever way to introduce yourself at your 5th post here.
It happens with every fw update, and it happens with every device that has upgradeable fw.
I don't hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back