New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 20, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #6,451 of 9,411
I'm a little crazy and prior to my promise of not buying any more audio gear, I picked up a DX220 and am currently burning it in. I have around 50 hours and it sounds very promising. I used to have the DX200Ti and I felt it matched up to the SP1000 although it had a different signature, more hardcore impact while the Sp1k was smoother. I'm hoping the DX220 is similar because it is lighter and smaller and has Roon support...:)

Please keep us posted as to your thoughts of the DX220.

May 20, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #6,452 of 9,411
Please keep us posted as to your thoughts of the DX220.
I own the SP1000 and it's been in service twice in about 6 months. A fellow head-fi'er friend recommended I get a DX220.
So far I don't like it.
1: The interface isn't ideal. It's confusing to play music, it's like using a cellphone to play music if you've never used that operating system before. It has an internet browser and other apps. Once I learned to use the "Mango player" it's ok now, but going to my "music folder" and clicking on a song won't result in playing music. You can only play music by launching the mango app and then navigating to the songs you'd like to play. After learning this, you might like the customization of the operating system.

2: It needs to be burned in. My SP1000 sounded great from the beginning, and perhaps got a little better after use. My DX220 sounded bad from the beginning. In the beginning is sounded worse than my iphone or old ipod classic. The only way to describe it was that it sounded cheap. After 24 hours of burn in, the sound significantly improved, but nowhere near the SQ of SP1000. I'd say the songs sound raspy where there should be no raspiness. My friend warned me that it needs 200 hours of burn in time. I'm only 4 days of 24/7 burn in using the supplied 2.5 balanced burn in cable, and my other headphones. After 4 days it still sounds raspy.

3: The supplied leather case is bad. My case was misfigured so it jets out away from the screen instead of close fitting. It's moot since I can't use my 2.5 cable and the leather case at the same time. The hole at the bottom isn't big enough to use my DHC 2.5 cable.

4: The screen wasn't calibrated to a finger. I press a song, and the song underneath it would play. My friend told me to reset the dx220 that worked. Turning it on/off didn't help. I had to delete and start over.

5: The screws securing the amp look tampered, as if someone used a flat head screwdriver that was ill-fitted to the screw. Perhaps it's an oversite on quality control in the manufacturing process, perhaps I bought a returned unit and there is more to it's story.

On an optimistic level it could be a good backup if SQ improves. The modular amp portion can be swapped out and I could have 3.5, 2.5 or 4.4 connectors. As an AK owner I like the 2.5 option. I kind of regret the DX220 at this point, and would like another AK player, but I am disappointed in AK build quality right now. I'm just unlucky I suppose.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #6,453 of 9,411
I own the SP1000 and it's been in service twice in about 6 months. A fellow head-fi'er friend recommended I get a DX220.
So far I don't like it.
1: The interface isn't ideal. It's confusing to play music, it's like using a cellphone to play music if you've never used that operating system before. It has an internet browser and other apps. Once I learned to use the "Mango player" it's ok now, but going to my "music folder" and clicking on a song won't result in playing music. You can only play music by launching the mango app and then navigating to the songs you'd like to play. After learning this, you might like the customization of the operating system.

2: It needs to be burned in. My SP1000 sounded great from the beginning, and perhaps got a little better after use. My DX220 sounded bad from the beginning. In the beginning is sounded worse than my iphone or old ipod classic. The only way to describe it was that it sounded cheap. After 24 hours of burn in, the sound significantly improved, but nowhere near the SQ of SP1000. I'd say the songs sound raspy where there should be no raspiness. My friend warned me that it needs 200 hours of burn in time. I'm only 4 days of 24/7 burn in using the supplied 2.5 balanced burn in cable, and my other headphones. After 4 days it still sounds raspy.

3: The supplied leather case is bad. My case was misfigured so it jets out away from the screen instead of close fitting. It's moot since I can't use my 2.5 cable and the leather case at the same time. The hole at the bottom isn't big enough to use my DHC 2.5 cable.

4: The screen wasn't calibrated to a finger. I press a song, and the song underneath it would play. My friend told me to reset the dx220 that worked. Turning it on/off didn't help. I had to delete and start over.

On an optimistic level it could be a good backup if SQ improves. The modular amp portion can be swapped out and I could have 3.5, 2.5 or 4.4 connectors. As an AK owner I like the 2.5 option. I kind of regret the DX220 at this point, and would like another AK player, but I am disappointed in AK build quality right now. I'm just unlucky I suppose.
I do agree on the AK UI, its really good. The DX220 takes some getting used to.

And I have to admit, my SP1k didnt really need burn in either but the iBasso unit really improves with burn in.

I would see about demoing the Sp1k with the i4; you may like the sound with minimal EQ. Or, you could get the DX220 and return if you dont like it; they may be a restocking fee though.

May 21, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #6,454 of 9,411
I've ordered a dx220 to use for work and out and about. The sp1000 ss is for home use.

May 21, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #6,455 of 9,411
Hello SP1000 and SP1000M users. I have 2 questions for you:
  • is there a way to control SP1000M from a smartphone through Bluetooth? I know it is possible to control it with AK Connect if they are in the same network, but I would like to control it when I'm out
  • I always charge SP1000M with fast charger. Is this a good practice? or it should be exceptional? I guess fast charging is not good for battery life
Thanks

May 21, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #6,456 of 9,411
Hello SP1000 and SP1000M users. I have 2 questions for you:
  • is there a way to control SP1000M from a smartphone through Bluetooth? I know it is possible to control it with AK Connect if they are in the same network, but I would like to control it when I'm out
  • I always charge SP1000M with fast charger. Is this a good practice? or it should be exceptional? I guess fast charging is not good for battery life
Thanks
Hi.
A friend of mine has the smaller AK (SR15?) and uses AK connect to control his DAP via his phone when on the move. He found an unlimited data package from the cellphone company and just streams music on the move via Bluetooth. He leaves the AK in his bag with IEMs attached and then does all the controlling and streaming from the phone. So it sounds exactly like what you’re suggesting.

Not sure bout the charging. I just use. USB - USB C cable from my USB charging hub. I don’t think it matters too much but will leave others to share data.

May 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #6,457 of 9,411
Even though the SP1000 and many other AK DAP have some of the best EQs found on portable devices it still produces listener fatigue for me. I become tired of listening within 30 minutes. Not even counting the listener fatigue, most if not all EQs on portable devices and even some low-quality recording software totally destroys textures, transients, subtle dynamics of volume, and just the overall realism of the recordings.

I can’t imagine seeking for something that can fulfill my absurd passion and need for portable audiophile bliss, and then remove that 5-10% I achieved by spending $1000 more. We all know the law of diminishing returns.

All the footwork going to HiFi shops in different cities, reading things on forums, selling and buying gear every six months trying to get to the place where I feel content. I am now with my home system and portable system. I’m sure not the only one here that’s driven a fast car that I could probably afford, and didn’t buy it, or turned down a way too attractive girl that drunk at the bar, yet bought a pair of headphones because I couldn’t leave the store without them in my life.

Yes. this is a rant that’s somewhat comical yet also completely my honest feelings about the destruction caused by digital equalizers.

May 21, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #6,458 of 9,411
Even though the SP1000 and many other AK DAP have some of the best EQs found on portable devices it still produces listener fatigue for me. I become tired of listening within 30 minutes. Not even counting the listener fatigue, most if not all EQs on portable devices and even some low-quality recording software totally destroys textures, transients, subtle dynamics of volume, and just the overall realism of the recordings.

I can’t imagine seeking for something that can fulfill my absurd passion and need for portable audiophile bliss, and then remove that 5-10% I achieved by spending $1000 more. We all know the law of diminishing returns.

All the footwork going to HiFi shops in different cities, reading things on forums, selling and buying gear every six months trying to get to the place where I feel content. I am now with my home system and portable system. I’m sure not the only one here that’s driven a fast car that I could probably afford, and didn’t buy it, or turned down a way too attractive girl that drunk at the bar, yet bought a pair of headphones because I couldn’t leave the store without them in my life.

Yes. this is a rant that’s somewhat comical yet also completely my honest feelings about the destruction caused by digital equalizers.
And yet true. I knew equilizers destroyed sound Q back in 86.

May 21, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #6,459 of 9,411
And yet true. I knew equilizers destroyed sound Q back in 86.

Indeed, '86 was a very bad year of equilizers, a lot worse than '85 :D

May 21, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #6,460 of 9,411
May 21, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #6,461 of 9,411
Help needed on good and recommended dealers in London who stock A&K players, amps and rippers.

I am going to London over the weekend and coming from a country where there is no dealers of A&K players I do hope that there could be at least one dealer in London that stock A&K equipment. Until now I have bought all my players on trips to Berlin. However I would appreciate it if there would be similar opportunities in London.

Any suggestions from fellow head-fi-ers in London would be highly appreciated and very much welcomed - thank you.

Br - Brian

May 21, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #6,462 of 9,411
Help needed on good and recommended dealers in London who stock A&K players, amps and rippers.

I am going to London over the weekend and coming from a country where there is no dealers of A&K players I do hope that there could be at least one dealer in London that stock A&K equipment. Until now I have bought all my players on trips to Berlin. However I would appreciate it if there would be similar opportunities in London.

Any suggestions from fellow head-fi-ers in London would be highly appreciated and very much welcomed - thank you.

Br - Brian
You can find a list of our authorized UK dealers here - https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...onal=GB&posX=&posY=&zoom=3&naKey=GB|||3&word=

I'm sure a few people here can chime in on specific dealers they've had experience with in the London area.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 21, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #6,464 of 9,411

Br - Brian

Contact Phil at audioconcierge.co.uk
Great guy.

May 21, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #6,465 of 9,411
You can find a list of our authorized UK dealers here - https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/whereToBuy/list.asp?national=GB&posX=&posY=&zoom=3&naKey=GB|||3&word=

I'm sure a few people here can chime in on specific dealers they've had experience with in the London area.

Thanks for the link with UK dealers. However many of the dealers in London on this list does not advertise with A&K on their web site. One of the dealers that do advertise A&K on their web site I have visited twice previously - and coming out empty handed two times - as none of the devices listed on their website that I were looking for were in stock. Might be I have been out of luck twice but a bit of support from people with first hand experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back