New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #5,701 of 9,411
Did you try it with SP1000ss ? linked to Bespoke Ares ll 8-wire 2.5mm Balanced cable ?
Yes on the player; nixe on the cable...

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #5,702 of 9,411
Yes on the player; nixe on the cable...
I'm currently in my bedroom, all around me is silence.... and I'm enjoying my favourite songs, far away from the day stress ...
in this context, sure you will discover what the trinity have inside themselves :)
if we were in the same Aera, I would lend you my setup.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #5,703 of 9,411
I'm currently in my bedroom, all around me is silence.... and I'm enjoying my favourite songs, far away from the day stress ...
in this context, sure you will discover what the trinity have inside themselves :)
if we were in the same Aera, I would lend you my setup.
I'll fly in tomorrow...

Mar 11, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #5,704 of 9,411
Why would A&K change from 2.5 balanced? I'm not reading tons of posts here (or even a few) from folks who have broken theirs. Lots of cable makers Including Jerry Harvey and EA still like 2.5. As stated above, 2.5 is smaller. And what would be the response if suddenly the newest A&K flagship was available only with 3.5 and 4.4? Everyone who had expensive (or even not so expensive) cables in 2.5 would have to sell them, re-terminate them, or stick them in a drawer. So what would drive A&K to change to that format? I suppose it's possible, since it has moved away from music files only to streaming (which I didn't think would happen, either). I guess we will see, but I wouldn't put any money on it, and I would likely move to a different TOTL brand if that were the case.
JH sells mostly low cost cables. They'd probably enjoy selling 3.5, 2.5, and 4.4.
I'd guess people with options to reterminate will, others may adopt the new size at a slower pace, some will just have an adapter made.
What would drive A&K to do this? I suppose the market would have to demand it, or they'd have to experience problems with the current design.
What happened to firewire when USB2.0 came out? What's happening to apple's lightning when usb-c proves to be superior?

I know I have a slightly bent 2.5 in my moon audio cable. I'd champion a 4.4 as I'm afraid of a high dollar 2.5, but I put my AK sp1000 in my pocket and walk around with it.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5,705 of 9,411
I've had three Moon Dragons of varying types, never had a problem with a plug. I had some insulation wear and tear above the plug from the cable rubbing agains my clothes when I walked, but never a plug issue.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #5,706 of 9,411
A kind of cry near the hight end audio cable makers !
8 cores cables, 16 cores cables are really great with iems and totally improve the sound quality, soundstage, now just asking them to work hard on the design, and make those cables portable.
because, most of the time, these cable are very heavy, to be wear!
the design of linium cable is very nice, but what about the sound quality with iems like Trinity ss ?
I'm about to jump on Linum® 2Pin SuperBaX Balanced 2.5mm TRRS. : https://www.linum.dk/shop/buy-now/ for the trinity ss.
but due the hight cost, I'm looking for advice and suggestion.
thanks

I received my Linum 2Pin SuperBax Balanced 2.5mm TRRS cable in the post yesterday. Not cheap at £292 (US$383) but it sounds absolutely fantastic right out of the box with my SP1000-I previously had the Linum 2Pin Bak Balanced 2.5mm cable which I had happily used for over 3 years but this is a significant upgrade and sounds amazing-I had in the past had other 2.5mm balanced cables (including Moon Audio) and for my money this new Linum cable is in a different league.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #5,707 of 9,411
I received my Linum 2Pin SuperBax Balanced 2.5mm TRRS cable in the post yesterday. Not cheap at £292 (US$383) but it sounds absolutely fantastic right out of the box with my SP1000-I previously had the Linum 2Pin Bak Balanced 2.5mm cable which I had happily used for over 3 years but this is a significant upgrade and sounds amazing-I had in the past had other 2.5mm balanced cables (including Moon Audio) and for my money this new Linum cable is in a different league.

I forgot to add that I am using the new Linum cable with JH Audio 16Pro Freqphase IEMs

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #5,708 of 9,411
As much as I like and enjoy my SP1000m, I surely expect AK can add Bluetooth receiver mode in the next firmware update.

I know with openAPK we have offline Tidal which is already super convenient, but I like to try new music on the go. Now I sync and download new suggested playlist every night before bed, but I can’t favorite or edit my playlist during the day in offline mode.

Also while SPKM is tiny as a portable DAP, it fits better in my backpack than my tight jeans pocket.

I will certainly sacrifice the SQ during commute in exchange for the convenience:)

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #5,710 of 9,411
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone uses Roon for audio with their SP1000(SS) and could help me out with settings to get the most out of the DAC. Thanks!
Roon? I thought it was still in testing?

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,712 of 9,411
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #5,713 of 9,411
SP1000 CU is the copper SP1000, I suppose CU is coined from the elemental abbreviation for copper being CU. The copper is supposed to be the warmer sounding variant of SP1000 with the SS stainless being more neutral. To my ears the copper is more natural; and the stainless seems brighter, in some songs my ears cringe from brightness. SS doesn't have a problem, I'm just sensitive to brightness. When I demoed between both, I suppose SS didn't have good synergy with the headphones I demoed with. I bought the copper, no regrets in sound quality or battery life. My wife prefered the SS version when she demoed side by side with me.

If you have time, twister has some amazing write ups between the two. Other head-fi'ers wrote reviews too, but twister's review is side by side, and rather special.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the explanation, much appreciated!!! It sounds like I want the SP1K Cu

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #5,714 of 9,411
A kind of cry near the hight end audio cable makers !
8 cores cables, 16 cores cables are really great with iems and totally improve the sound quality, soundstage, now just asking them to work hard on the design, and make those cables portable.
because, most of the time, these cable are very heavy, to be wear!
the design of linium cable is very nice, but what about the sound quality with iems like Trinity ss ?
I'm about to jump on Linum® 2Pin SuperBaX Balanced 2.5mm TRRS. : https://www.linum.dk/shop/buy-now/ for the trinity ss.
but due the hight cost, I'm looking for advice and suggestion.
thanks

I have the Linum G2 SuperBax and Bax 3.5mm MMCX Cables and they're great and very comfortable. Easily the most comfortable MMCX Cable I've ever owned. But if you want to try something cheaper first, before shelling out over $300 for the Balanced SuperBax, try the FiiO LC 2.5c first.

It's an 8-core, Monocrystaline Silver Plated Copper OCC MMCX Cable, and it sounds amazing, especially for it's price of only $70 USD. It's EASILY the best match for my Andromedas out of the 15 or so MMCX Cables I've tried, including the Linum G2 3.5mm stuff.

I'll probably throw down on the SuperBax Balanced eventually too for my other IEM's, because I love the Linum company, but I think that a lot of you would be VERY surprised at the quality of the FiiO LC!!! It's very underrated. It's a warm sounding cable that really thickens up a neutral or brighter sounding IEM, however it's not a good match with my Dorado's. For $70 USD, you really can't go wrong IMO

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #5,715 of 9,411
Thank you VERY MUCH for the explanation, much appreciated!!! It sounds like I want the SP1K Cu
I have the blue 1000M; i think the copper ias the best sounding out of all the A&K stuff, even the new brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back