New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #4,876 of 9,409
Hi all. I am experiencing a strange (I am guessing) character encoding issue. Originally it looks like this:

But if I add a few more characters to the end of the album name, it is displayed correctly:

It is also displayed correctly for files with titles including a nonstandard character:

Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Trying to set an "Encoding" field in the id3v2 header did not help.

Any ideas?

I’ve gotten the crazy character glitch too.
A&k support blames my file, but it only show on my sp1000 player and nowhere else.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,879 of 9,409
I’ve gotten the crazy character glitch too.
A&k support blames my file, but it only show on my sp1000 player and nowhere else.

I tried several id3 taggers and players (easytag, musicbrainz picard, kid3, deadbeef) and different versions of the id3 (v2.3 and v2.4) and different encodings (UTF-8 and ISO8859-1) and none of them fixes it. Besides, the issue seems to be "fixed" in a strange way, like the word length or nonstandard characters in the title. I am not an expert id3 tagging, but I think we need to have a logical explanation here.

@JasonNYC, would it be possible to ask the development team why that could be? Thanks.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #4,880 of 9,409
I tried several id3 taggers and players (easytag, musicbrainz picard, kid3, deadbeef) and different versions of the id3 (v2.3 and v2.4) and different encodings (UTF-8 and ISO8859-1) and none of them fixes it. Besides, the issue seems to be "fixed" in a strange way, like the word length or nonstandard characters in the title. I am not an expert id3 tagging, but I think we need to have a logical explanation here.

@JasonNYC, would it be possible to ask the development team why that could be? Thanks.

I tried also different file formats (FLAC, M4A, MP3) which all have different tag formats (vorbis, m4a, id3v2.3/2.4) and different character encodings (ISO8859-1, UTF-8) and the result is the same. The text is not properly rendered. The reason that is encountered in some files and not in others is possibly related to what I have mentioned before: Depending on the word length and the nonstandard character existence in the title it may or may not be rendered correctly. I have the same effect for all types of file headers and it is quite easy to reproduce.

@JasonNYC, I can provide you the file examples.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #4,882 of 9,409
What are some options I should use when cleaning AK copper players?

If you are talking about the sp1000cu, it doesn't need to and I wouldn't recommend any polishing compounds as it may wear off the protective layer on the player. I have it over a year and no tarnishing signs compared to the AK380cu. Just have a soft cloth to wipe the player when needed. If you are concerned of scratches developing, you can purchase the healing shield. Its a clear wrap pasted around the player edges.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #4,883 of 9,409
28B43CEC-9D83-4D85-A4DE-A327BFC61A38.jpeg
Here’s mine. @JasonNYC
Andrew at A&K support already has two of these files from each of the split album names. I had a much larger issue which was resolved with a replacement so this issue was brushed aside.

It would be nice to hear the album front to back the way the artist intended though.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #4,884 of 9,409
Is anyone aware of anything being in the works for recording audio onto the spk? Had I known then what I know now, I would probably have bought a 380 with an amp and recorder, my uncle has 1,400 albums that I'd love to have on my dap.
If album in the form of CD.
You can use EAC to RIP it. Then edit tag by your self, it will take time.
If it is LP, it is much complex

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,885 of 9,409
I've retagged most of my music. When punctuation issues arise (as above), one way to alleviate them is to remove the punctuation. I find that problems often occur on only a few tracks, not globally. Sometimes I've tried re-encoding the file (run it through a converter) to fix the issue, but mostly re-tagging works. Take the original (long) track and remove the punctuation.

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4,886 of 9,409
I was making up a playlist and just found a track with the same exact series of symbols. Clearly, apostrophes can create issues in some files (other files show no issue). I didn't bother to change it, because, well, it doesn't affect anything except any OCD I might have.

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #4,887 of 9,409
I was making up a playlist and just found a track with the same exact series of symbols. Clearly, apostrophes can create issues in some files (other files show no issue). I didn't bother to change it, because, well, it doesn't affect anything except any OCD I might have.

It is not the apostrophes, it is the arrangement of the character and different character sets, and the obvious related bug. The apostrophe you want us to remove is part ot the language (in his case, French). In my case, the characters are part of the Spanish language. And you cannot just change characters, which would change the words, and make basterdized versions them. Especially not on a $3000+ device which should handle this correctly - it obviously has a bug there.

Especially, for me it is a big problem, as I listen to a lot of folk music and guess what: Folk music is not English/US only but it means music of many different folks and languages of the world. And as a respect to that particular culture I _always_ use their character set. All my collection through the years has grown with the same respect in mind. I don't simplify names to their English character subset. And the GNU/Linux community which Android is based on, has the same respect and supports multitudes of languages and character sets.

I am not going to "simplify" the words on my collection I gathered in years to workaround an A&K bug. It has nothing to do with OCD, because the player incorrectly inserts 2 albums instead of 1 because of this bug. And it is annoying and if I encounter this bug on a $3000+ player, I have the right to ask for a fix, I believe.

Peace. :)

Dec 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #4,889 of 9,409
Hi all. I am experiencing a strange (I am guessing) character encoding issue. Originally it looks like this:

But if I add a few more characters to the end of the album name, it is displayed correctly:

It is also displayed correctly for files with titles including a nonstandard character:

Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Trying to set an "Encoding" field in the id3v2 header did not help.

Any ideas?
@DarginMahkum Thank you for the details and images. Passing this onto the dev team. It helps a lot with the images you provided. A few people are still out for the holidays, so it may be a few days before I hear anything concrete.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 26, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #4,890 of 9,409
I tried also different file formats (FLAC, M4A, MP3) which all have different tag formats (vorbis, m4a, id3v2.3/2.4) and different character encodings (ISO8859-1, UTF-8) and the result is the same. The text is not properly rendered. The reason that is encountered in some files and not in others is possibly related to what I have mentioned before: Depending on the word length and the nonstandard character existence in the title it may or may not be rendered correctly. I have the same effect for all types of file headers and it is quite easy to reproduce.

@JasonNYC, I can provide you the file examples.
@DarginMahkum If you wouldn't mind PMing me with some file examples, that would be great. Thank you.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back