New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 23, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #4,861 of 9,406
Hi All !

It seems that nobody saw my question that was embedded in a reply :)

I have a question on SP1000m vs AK380 : do they have the same warm sound, what about soundstage width and music «speed» please ?
I had the opportunity to test the SP1000 and not only I found it too big but also found it's sound to be too "clinically perfect", without the color and soul that you can find with the AK380.
SP1000m seems to have the right size, price is less unreasonable than SP1000 (even if 128 Gb of memory at this level of price is really not a lot), I like the better the screen compared to AK380 and the fact that you can stream and save music from Qobuz which I am a huge fan.

Thanks for your help and time !

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,863 of 9,406
Quick question: I’m trying to locate a supported Pandora Radio APK on pure app, but can’t seem to find it. A google search finds several versions, including several hacked ones, so does anyone have the link to the supported stable version? Thanks and Happy holidays.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,864 of 9,406
Hi Jason,
I am facing an issue with my SP1000M since this morning. The screen is not reactive. I was just listening to music and browsing music when the screen suddenly was stuck. Even if i want to switch off, the switch off screen pops up but I push Ok or cancel and nothing happens. The only thing I can do now is waiting battery drains which will take a lot of time because the DAP is not playing music. What should I do?
Thanks for your help
Press and hold the power button to perform a soft reset. Hold the power button down for about 15 seconds and the player will shut down. Press the power button again to turn back on.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 24, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #4,867 of 9,406
Oh, that guy is full of cr@p, why would you even waste your time reading hundreds of his reviews? :p

But seriously, the review is not about A&K philosophy or someone else's opinion. It's based on how I hear it, derived from my experience, and it's obviously a subjective opinion. If you don't hear the difference between fw changes or you prefer to follow your gut feeling, then problem is solved, there are no changes :D

Hahah! I had to do an about take when you said what you said before I realised you were saying it tongue in cheek about yourself. :wink:

But totally agree with you. At the end of the day, trust your ears on your chain. :)

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #4,868 of 9,406
Hi All !

It seems that nobody saw my question that was embedded in a reply :)

I have a question on SP1000m vs AK380 : do they have the same warm sound, what about soundstage width and music «speed» please ?
I had the opportunity to test the SP1000 and not only I found it too big but also found it's sound to be too "clinically perfect", without the color and soul that you can find with the AK380.
SP1000m seems to have the right size, price is less unreasonable than SP1000 (even if 128 Gb of memory at this level of price is really not a lot), I like the better the screen compared to AK380 and the fact that you can stream and save music from Qobuz which I am a huge fan.

Thanks for your help and time !
I have time experience AK 380, the black version and from my memories the AK380 is close to SP1000 interm of transparency in mid and low mid range. Its speed control is good but I feel it lack the extension of the high-end which make it the feel of warm signature. The driving ability is one step behind the SPK family, when having the amp, it will improve the bass texture and force.
In my option, I had better go on SPK family.

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #4,870 of 9,406
Is anyone aware of anything being in the works for recording audio onto the spk? Had I known then what I know now, I would probably have bought a 380 with an amp and recorder, my uncle has 1,400 albums that I'd love to have on my dap.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,871 of 9,406
Thanks, interesting that AKconnect let's you stream masters from another phone but the SP1000 cannot access masters directly. Its fiddly but at least can see the MQA bit rate etc

The SP1000 can access Masters directly by using the built in Tidal app but not the apk app. I am not sure to what level it decodes them. It will show a MASTER icon when playing these files. @JasonNYC was going to get some clarification from the factory last week on the different levels of decoding based on the usage. i.e. built in app, streamed from a dlna server (AK Connect or others), or played through the usb or optical to another dac.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #4,872 of 9,406
Thanks, interesting that AKconnect let's you stream masters from another phone but the SP1000 cannot access masters directly. Its fiddly but at least can see the MQA bit rate etc

Side load app and stock app setting are shown in pics.
We see master/hifi max of each.

Sideload apk is completely same as smartphones version, so it doesnt have master setting option.
I think moded apk maybe support for both smartphone (that not be LG's) and AK dap.

Akconnect access to tidal master bcs it doesnt relate to smartphone version. It access by itself, but it can not browser to where master locate on tidal server.
To do so, use smartphone vesion to browser to master album then mark it as fav, then akconnect will see them
20181224_232604.jpg
20181224_232710.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,874 of 9,406
Hi all. I am experiencing a strange (I am guessing) character encoding issue. Originally it looks like this:

20181224_204646.jpg

But if I add a few more characters to the end of the album name, it is displayed correctly:

20181224_204608.jpg

It is also displayed correctly for files with titles including a nonstandard character:

20181224_205356.jpg

Is this a known bug or am I missing something? Trying to set an "Encoding" field in the id3v2 header did not help.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back