New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,816 of 9,433
I don’t know why he is referring to different sound qualities of the firmware. It is my gut feeling that the sound has never changed since day 1. Also I am convinced, that it is not AK’s philosophy either.

Oh, that guy is full of cr@p, why would you even waste your time reading hundreds of his reviews? :p

But seriously, the review is not about A&K philosophy or someone else's opinion. It's based on how I hear it, derived from my experience, and it's obviously a subjective opinion. If you don't hear the difference between fw changes or you prefer to follow your gut feeling, then problem is solved, there are no changes :D

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #4,817 of 9,433
Oh, that guy is full of cr@p, why would you even waste your time reading hundreds of his reviews? :p

But seriously, the review is not about A&K philosophy or someone else's opinion. It's based on how I hear it, derived from my experience, and it's obviously a subjective opinion. If you don't hear the difference between fw changes or you prefer to follow your gut feeling, then problem is solved, there are no changes :D

I do not think that he is full of crap as I enjoy reading his articles but I am just wondering as I am new to this business.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #4,818 of 9,433
I do not think that he is full of crap as I enjoy reading his articles but I am just wondering as I am new to this business.

Well, in that case, "welcome to this business, sorry about your wallet" as we greet people on Head-fi :D You certainly picked a good DAP to start with! And just in case, I'm "that" guy who wrote "that" review :wink:

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #4,820 of 9,433
Gentlemen, I am currently struggling a little with qobuz 5.1.3 since the latest ak update. Which version of qobuz do you use? @JasonNYC is there any chance to find out for you with which version of qobuz ak software has been tested?

Unfortunately it is something to do with the application.- I contacted the Qobuz Android support. They told me to delete the application completely and (and all offline data will be deleted) install it again. So far it seems to have solved the issues, crashes etc. but my whole local downloads are gone.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4,821 of 9,433
It's a bug in the 1.15 firmware that was not present in the 1.13 firmware. Already confirmed it will be fixed via firmware update in a few days.

Today on my SP1000 there are two versions of TIDAL:
IMG_4442.jpg

-version1 obtained (if I remember correctly) from AK connect

-version2 obtained by downloading the APP through MAC.

In this case I don't understand how to get the MASTER songs ... I don't see blue dot, I don't see green dot, I don't see letter M and in SETTING I can't select MQA. I have correctly downloaded the last UPGRADE 1.16..I missed a few steps?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,822 of 9,433
Unfortunately it is something to do with the application.- I contacted the Qobuz Android support. They told me to delete the application completely and (and all offline data will be deleted) install it again. So far it seems to have solved the issues, crashes etc. but my whole local downloads are gone.

Thanks. I just switched back to 5.1.2 and completely swiped cache and downloaded files. Cache and download-folder are set to internal memory. Compared to 5.1.3, 5.1.2 runs smoother without any errors in the GUI so far. Downside is, that the cache in 5.1.2 is limited to 100 MB. Let‘s see what the next updates will bring. I now can live with the performance so far. @JasonNYC

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,823 of 9,433
Today on my SP1000 there are two versions of TIDAL:

-version1 obtained (if I remember correctly) from AK connect

-version2 obtained by downloading the APP through MAC.

In this case I don't understand how to get the MASTER songs ... I don't see blue dot, I don't see green dot, I don't see letter M and in SETTING I can't select MQA. I have correctly downloaded the last UPGRADE 1.16..I missed a few steps?
MQA track on Tidal will only currently be available on the embedded Tidal app. If you are playing a MQA encoded track, it will show Master on the playback screen. There will be no blue or green dot showing, just Master.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,824 of 9,433
Thanks. I just switched back to 5.1.2 and completely swiped cache and downloaded files. Cache and download-folder are set to internal memory. Compared to 5.1.3, 5.1.2 runs smoother without any errors in the GUI so far. Downside is, that the cache in 5.1.2 is limited to 100 MB. Let‘s see what the next updates will bring. I now can live with the performance so far. @JasonNYC
I've been the one doing the primary testing on the Qobuz app with AK players. I've had the most luck with 5.0.1. I did upgrade to 5.1.2 and used it for a few hours and felt it ran much better. Since I am in the US, I have a beta account that just stopped working and disappeared about 2 weeks ago, so I didn't get much play time with 5.1.2. The Qobuz USA team finally just set me up with a new beta account about 30 minutes ago so I will be able to share some feedback soon. Speaking to the Qobuz team, they are aware of issues with the Android app and have been working to push updates out quickly, which is why there have been so many versions the past few weeks.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 20, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,825 of 9,433
I've been the one doing the primary testing on the Qobuz app with AK players. I've had the most luck with 5.0.1. I did upgrade to 5.1.2 and used it for a few hours and felt it ran much better. Since I am in the US, I have a beta account that just stopped working and disappeared about 2 weeks ago, so I didn't get much play time with 5.1.2. The Qobuz USA team finally just set me up with a new beta account about 30 minutes ago so I will be able to share some feedback soon. Speaking to the Qobuz team, they are aware of issues with the Android app and have been working to push updates out quickly, which is why there have been so many versions the past few weeks.

Just found a little time to check what’s currently the best Qobuz-version for AK-users: all 5.x.x-versions tested (swipe cache and cleaned downloaded files after each installation). 5.1.2 (data and cache on internal drive) is currently the version of choice for AK-users: runs smoothly, barely any hick-ups. An update before Christmas would be a nice present :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #4,826 of 9,433
MQA track on Tidal will only currently be available on the embedded Tidal app. If you are playing a MQA encoded track, it will show Master on the playback screen. There will be no blue or green dot showing, just Master.
Many thanks Jason.
This means that albums downloaded from TIDAL on internal storage (offline use) can not be played in MQA. It's correct?

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #4,828 of 9,433
Is anyone using their sp1000 as a source in their 2 channel set up? I was looking into a desktop dac maybe yggdrasil or a pro idsd, and a headphone amp. If anyone has external dac how much if any improvement do you notice over the sp1000.

I really wish there was a dock like they made for the ak380 with the balanced out puts on it. If they did I would not even have a thought about another dac. Is there anyone making a cable for balanced line out. I know that there used to be one on the ak site but it was around $1,000.

I'm using the sp1000m as a source for my stereo system, using a balanced connection. I swear that the sp1000m is better as a DAC than my Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC but I can't make a comparison yet as my Alpha DAC is in for repairs. I'll make an A/B comparison when I get the Alpha DAC back. It will also be interesting to see how it is using the sp1000m as a source vs. my computer server.

I got my cables from LQICBLES for about $150.
[URL='https://lqicables.com/products/esprit-up-occ-silver-plated-copper']Esprit Series UP-OCC Silver Plated Copper Headphone Cable
Regular price $149.99[/URL]

When I first hooked up the SP1000M to my pre-amp, I thought that the sound was really crappy. But in playing around with the SP1000M, I run into the Line Out setting. I turned it on, set it to 2V to match my pre-amp and, lo and behold, wonderful sound! Also, having the 3.5MM hooked up or not did not seem to make any difference.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #4,829 of 9,433
I did not realise there was a Qobuz app for AK?

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #4,830 of 9,433
Can I get a warranty clarification. If I buy a SP1000m from authorized dealer in Hong Kong but end up having a warranty issue in Canada, can I send the device to NA iRiver? If it is out of warranty then I assume it is OK to send to NA iRiver for service?

Shot in the dark. Anyone have 1st hand experience matching the UERR with the SP1000m? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back