New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 17, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #4,788 of 9,406
Who is using hard to drive headphones portably?

Which hard to drive ones? He6?

By the way i own both mojo and spk....

Well since you reply to my first post I would’ve assumed you had read it before strangely suggesting Dave as an amplifier and a portable DAC option. But it’s seem that’s not true. Maybe you can look back and revisit my original post for the list of headphones I am planning to drive with a external amp.

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,789 of 9,406
Sorry but i dont see the point of 3k transport for mojo whatever you Want to drive portable.....

Dave is as portable as much as hd800 if you think

“ what is portable?”

Something go to office and comes back everyday? Or önce in a while to summer house..

İt is not for commuting thats for sure

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,790 of 9,406
Sp1000 connect to Mojo. <- No problems, it definitely works.
Have you tried running the headphones from the balanced output of Sp1000 instead?

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #4,791 of 9,406
Sorry but i dont see the point of 3k transport for mojo whatever you Want to drive portable.....

Dave is as portable as much as hd800 if you think

“ what is portable?”

Something go to office and comes back everyday? Or önce in a while to summer house..

İt is not for commuting thats for sure

What you’re discribing is transportable. I’m talking about walking around my house. Putting something in my pocket and taking it to my girlfriends place. Maybe even walking to work on beautiful afternoons. Anyways the Dave isn’t even transportable.

This conversation is so ridiculous it’s doing my head in. Until AK release is an amplifier that mates directly with the SP1000 I would be more than happy to use the Mojo until they do. I imagine it will be around another six months before they release said amplifier. I already own a device that sounds good enough for those random times I take headphones (not earphones) to my girlfriends house. I understand one device cost a lot more than the other one. But I don’t see a reason to buy another dedicated amplifier to use for just six months. Let alone an amplifier that would complement the SP1000. Seriously, you’re suggesting I should buy a $2,000+ amplifier just to use for six months?

Aside from all that other nonsense. I live in China. Having more and more gear sitting around my house isn’t really necessary. Considering I have a tube amplifier, 10 pair of properly high-quality earphones and headphones. Now let’s talk on all my photography gear, three computers for work, and then clothing.

Now that I think about it, I was silly for even doubting you. What I need to do is buy a very expensive amp to use for six months and then buy the dedicated amp from AK.

I’m not going to ask you what amp I should buy. I definitely should find another expert for that. I’ll go to another part of this forum to see if I can find another know-it-all that will tell me exactly what I should buy, knows more about myself than I do to tell me what to do with my life, and money.

Thank you and have a merry Christmas

Hopefully that’s all over now.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #4,792 of 9,406
Does the balanced or SE output on the SPKM offer better audio quality? I have the zeus xr on order but not sure which connect to get.
For me balanced is cleaner, better separation. Once I tried balanced with a silver litz cable, I swore I would 'never look back". But. I recently got andro SS and it came with silevr unbalanced cable, so after my 1000M (which I got a week earlier) and my andros were 'burned in and sounding fabulous, I went back to the unbalanced cable 'just to see' Well, I have had a change of heart. Where before the balanced cable sounded 'cleaner', I now feel it sounds sterile. The unbalance silver litz to me sounds 'warmer' 'fuzzier' in a good way; more 'musical', and more enjoyable. As of right now I have no desire to use the 'balanced' cable again. Maybe this is a faze, but now I'm perfectly happy with my 'unbalanced' cable, hope this helps.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #4,793 of 9,406
I was testing out the SP1000M last week and used an OTG cable from the SPKM to the Mojo. I’m thinking I could use the SPKM or SPK as a transport when using my HD800s, Ether C, or LCD-XCs. I’d guess the SPKM could power the Ether C but not the others so I’d need the Mojo for those.

So my question is: Can I use the SP1000 as a USB transport for the Mojo?

Could you please recommend open back headphones for the SPK? I would like to have one which could be driven by the SPK directly without an amp.
Thanks!

I have found that you can power the LCD X and Focal Clear with the sp1000. I am using the lcd x with the balanced output. I find the clear is ok from the se output but I usually pair it with the ALO CV5 with line out set at 2v. I find it to be a great amp for both the lcd x and clear. Actually I think it sounds better than the amp in the mojo. I know that it is a bit more expensive but sometimes you can find a deal on the cv5. I picked it up on black friday for 1/2 price.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #4,794 of 9,406
Could you please recommend open back headphones for the SPK? I would like to have one which could be driven by the SPK directly without an amp.
Thanks!
Focal clear, I guess.
Or maybe semiclose like B&W P9

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #4,795 of 9,406
Who is using a Dave portably. How ridiculous.

Until AK releases an external amp for the SPK for hard to drive headphones, that would be my best option. Thanks for your insight.

I think it is quite foolish. Because Hugo2 can compare to sp1000 not mojo.
To drive IEM, even hugo2 is inferior than SPK

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #4,797 of 9,406
I was testing out the SP1000M last week and used an OTG cable from the SPKM to the Mojo. I’m thinking I could use the SPKM or SPK as a transport when using my HD800s, Ether C, or LCD-XCs. I’d guess the SPKM could power the Ether C but not the others so I’d need the Mojo for those.
The answer is yes. SP1000 can play as source and output digital signal to mojo.
But, it is not proper setup because the sound quality and the driving power of mojo is inferior to SP1000. That is the point.
You can testing, for fun, it is OK. But considering sound quality, does not do that.

For portable amp, have a look at Mass Kobo.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #4,798 of 9,406
But, it is not proper setup because the sound quality and the driving power of mojo is inferior to SP1000. That is the point.

Um, no. Mojo is more powerful than the SP1000 according to the specs, measures better too. If you have a personal preference for the SP1000 that's great but why try to convince someone of your preference with misleading facts?

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #4,799 of 9,406
with regards to the Mojo Relic is correct, Ive own the Mojo sold it when I decided on the SP1000. However I enjoy the sound of the SP1000 more. the Mojo is terrific and an engineering marvel. The sound signature are very different and I prefer the SP1000 signature more, the mojo is smooth as silk and has more power output.

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #4,800 of 9,406
Um, no. Mojo is more powerful than the SP1000 according to the specs, measures better too. If you have a personal preference for the SP1000 that's great but why try to convince someone of your preference with misleading facts?
Mojo output 7V or atleast 5v.
Iriver said sp1k output 4v but I never ever see this power.
It IS 2.0V
Btw mojo is not beyond sp1k in sq, imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back