New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 7, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #4,637 of 9,406
I would be happy with a dock for the sp1000. No need for a new dap every year the sp1000 is already great. Unless they get the battery life to that of wm1z and add the nutubes from the cayin n8.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,638 of 9,406
I would be happy with a dock for the sp1000. No need for a new dap every year the sp1000 is already great. Unless they get the battery life to that of wm1z and add the nutubes from the cayin n8.
That would still be a new DAP ? No ? Regardless of technology, what everyone want is lower noise floor, better crosstalk, better power output, higher dynamic range, better details retentions

So, AK4499EQ would be an awesome drop :D

I do agree, 2x Korg Tubes would be awesome, but why did they not implement balanced out Korg ? Too much power drawn ...lol

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,639 of 9,406

I wish to see something more in the direction of FiiO Q5. But something with TOTL audio circuitry and wireless receive mode. Battery life and bluetooth receive mode like WM1Z, sound quality like SP1000, but no internal storage, screen or applications - no DAP functionality, and form factor like Q5. I find a player with a screen a waste, as today mobile phones are much more powerful to run the applications and all kinds of services. Not that I don't love the SP1000, but I wish to see more progress in this direction.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #4,640 of 9,406
That would still be a new DAP ? No ? Regardless of technology, what everyone want is lower noise floor, better crosstalk, better power output, higher dynamic range, better details retentions

I do agree, 2x Korg Tubes would be awesome, but why did they not implement balanced out Korg ? Too much power drawn ...lol

I think most of these issues can be addressed with a more robust amp section. It would be great if they had an add on amp like with the 300 series. I currently use the ALO c5v when using full sized cans.

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4,641 of 9,406

Well A&K already mentioned that a version of the SP1000 will be released next year. If they announce it by May it will already have been 2 years since the original SP1000 was first announced. That’s a reasonable amount of time to justify a new model. It doesn’t seem like a dock or amp is likely at this point.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #4,642 of 9,406
Well A&K already mentioned that a version of the SP1000 will be released next year. If they announce it by May it will already have been 2 years since the original SP1000 was first announced. That’s a reasonable amount of time to justify a new model. It doesn’t seem like a dock or amp is likely at this point.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a chord dave. It is starting to get like the cellphone race with a new dap coming out every 6 months from Ak.

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #4,644 of 9,406
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a chord dave. It is starting to get like the cellphone race with a new dap coming out every 6 months from Ak.
Nah, not only Chord or anybody else, it is just that the technology market is blooming fast. If you didn’t know why our so called high-end are so expensive nowadays. That was because the high demand of high-fidelity music, and it surged in the demand for high precision and quality components, which were previously only developed for military, medicinal, and space engineering purposes, which were very rare to come by to the market to make high-end device.

This reason drove the pricing for components to another level in consumer technology, and yet, this surge of demand has not stopped but grew even bigger. Now, big companies are realizing and adopting it, they are developing high quality components and other things in silicon and micro technology to bring us just this.

It just only means that we will no longer be seeing expensive high-end much longer, and we would no longer have to wait for 3 years or so for the “upgradatis diseases” that we have. In contrast of this, the real high-end for music components down into IC developments are booming, but to produce it is very very expensive nowadays. Who would have thought that producing high-fidelity and high-quality components can be so complicated and expensive ? Could it be that we are not audiophool...but real enthusiasm?

As I always said, human senses are their greatest blessing from the gods. So listening to music is just enjoying the blessing

Did you know that even Tantalum and Ceramic capacitors can create noises and jitters ? That is correct, and the new Jitter-free and minimizes noises are being produced....but they are super duper expensive, and we are talking about literally $9 a piece....where there are hundreds of them in a high-end device. Do you want to know what is building with all these quality new components ? It is DMP-Z1...

I don’t mean to derail the thread, but just wanting to state the Fact. On a serious note, I am sure A&K is aware of this, and soon will be implementing all of these high quality components into the next generations and to keep the high-end price tag. But I am so very excited to see what A&K will bring to us in the next generations

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #4,646 of 9,406
Well A&K already mentioned that a version of the SP1000 will be released next year.

Any further info on this?

Many thanks for your reply!
Your words help me much to decide.
Do you listen to Tidal MQA as well?

Tried it, and its pretty good, but MQA is a lossy format, so it feels a little silly if the purpose of the player is to dedicate it to Tidal.

I fly pretty much 24-7: Europe, America, Asia. Not many people would honestly match my schedule of travel, and for me its awesome to have Tidal and the flexibility of listening to new music without having to plug into a PC to update.

That said, depending on the song, you can hear big differences between the FLAC and the MQA versions. You won't notice them at the start of a new song, but the one you leave on repeat for a flight and fall asleep to, download a couple of weeks later and play again, it can sound like a new song.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back