New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #4,051 of 9,409
has a separate thread been opened for it? I have tried searching but nothing found.........guessing it hasn't but my searches aren't always great!!

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #4,054 of 9,409
OK, here is my first impression after about 3hrs of burn in, including the comparison between SP1000 SS (SPK) and SP1000M (SPK-M).

- SPK-M is definitely smaller, lighter, and more compact. Easy to use in one hand where my thumb can reach across the entire touch screen (just think of it like iPhone SE vs newer iPhone models with bigger screen).
- You quickly realize how you got spoiled by SPK where you can easily turn the screen on/off by pushing the volume wheel, while in SPK-M you have a separate power button at the top and the volume wheel is just that, to turn the volume up/down.
- SPK-M transport control buttons are different, have a narrow rectangular shape and spaced closer, taller, and easier to feel without a case on, but with a case on it's the usual struggle since buttons imprint is not as well defined. Not a show stopper, just an observation, and I'm sure Dignis, MITER, and others will have an aftermarket case soon.

- The latest interface seems to be as fast as the original one.
- I love the new Floating Back button, which can be easily enabled/disabled.
- Stream services are there (Groovers+, Tidal, Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, and Sound Cloud).
- All this will be coming to SPK as well, so it's just a teaser of the upcoming update.

Now, regarding the sound. This is just an initial impression after a few hours of burn in. I will keep it on playback for a few days, to see if anything will change. But right now playing the same song with the same pair of IEMs (U18t w/Horus cable) from 2.5mm BAL Out, I hear SPK-M to be a little more powerful; while volume matching the difference is about 3 clicks. Both have the same soundstage depth, while I hear the original SPK to be a little wider, with an overall soundstage a little more holographic. I tried it with a few other IEMs, and with some the difference in soundstage is more subtle, while with U18t it's more noticeable to my ears.

In terms of technical performance, they have a similar retrieval of details, separation/layering of sounds, resolution, etc. But there is some difference in tonality. Very subtle difference in mids where SPK is a little more revealing while SPK-M is a bit more organic, and a more noticeable difference in treble where SPK is crisper and airier, while SPK-M is smoother. That treble difference is actually more noticeable, though I don't know if anything going to change after the burn in. I did talk to someone who attended RMAF and he also mentioned that he enjoyed SP1000M pair with his IEMs better due to a smoother treble.

Can I draw a conclusion now which one is better? I don't think it's even possible. But what I can say based on this first impression after playing with SP1000M loaner for an hour after about 3hrs of burn in: if you already have SP1000SS/CU - I don't see any reason to sell it, unless you are really bothered by the size and the weight of it. But if you have been eyeballing SP1000 for a while, now you have a choice to save money without sacrificing much of the performance, with an exception of a few differences which some might not even hear (i pick it up cause my ears are more trained).

I will keep SPK-M on a burn in for a few days, and then will finalize my findings.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #4,055 of 9,409
OK, here is my first impression after about 3hrs of burn in, including the comparison between SP1000 SS (SPK) and SP1000M (SPK-M).

- SPK-M is definitely smaller, lighter, and more compact. Easy to use in one hand where my thumb can reach across the entire touch screen (just think of it like iPhone SE vs newer iPhone models with bigger screen).
- You quickly realize how you got spoiled by SPK where you can easily turn the screen on/off by pushing the volume wheel, while in SPK-M you have a separate power button at the top and the volume wheel is just that, to turn the volume up/down.
- SPK-M transport control buttons are different, have a narrow rectangular shape and spaced closer, taller, and easier to feel without a case on, but with a case on it's the usual struggle since buttons imprint is not as well defined. Not a show stopper, just an observation, and I'm sure Dignis, MITER, and others will have an aftermarket case soon.

- Stream services are there (Groovers+, Tidal, Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, and Sound Cloud).
- All this will be coming to SPK as well, so it's just a teaser of the upcoming update.

Now, regarding the sound. This is just an initial impression after a few hours of burn in. I will keep it on playback for a few days, to see if anything will change. But right now playing the same song with the same pair of IEMs (U18t w/Horus cable) from 2.5mm BAL Out, I hear SPK-M to be a little more powerful; while volume matching the difference is about 3 clicks. Both have the same soundstage depth, while I hear the original SPK to be a little wider, with an overall soundstage a little more holographic. I tried it with a few other IEMs, and with some the difference in soundstage is more subtle, while with U18t it's more noticeable to my ears.

In terms of technical performance, they have a similar retrieval of details, separation/layering of sounds, resolution, etc. But there is some difference in tonality. Very subtle difference in mids where SPK is a little more revealing while SPK-M is a bit more organic, and a more noticeable difference in treble where SPK is crisper and airier, while SPK-M is smoother. That treble difference is actually more noticeable, though I don't know if anything going to change after the burn in. I did talk to someone who attended RMAF and he also mentioned that he enjoyed SP1000M pair with his IEMs better due to a smoother treble.

Can I draw a conclusion now which one is better? I don't think it's even possible. But what I can say based on this first impression after playing with SP1000M loaner for an hour after about 3hrs of burn in: if you already have SP1000SS/CU - I don't see any reason to sell it, unless you are really bothered by the size and the weight of it. But if you have been eyeballing SP1000 for a while, now you have a choice to save money without sacrificing much of the performance, with an exception of a few differences which some might not even hear (i pick it up cause my ears are more trained).

I will keep SPK-M on a burn in for a few days, and then will finalize my findings.

Thanks for this! Looks like my SS will stay with me then. :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #4,056 of 9,409

This is what I expected; very minute differences with the size and portability going to the M. I guess once the amp module comes out, the SPK might sell more...who knows?

Thanks for the review!

:L3000::L3000:

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #4,058 of 9,409
Thanks for the review, twister6. I think it took 50-100 hours of burn-in for the sound of my SS to settle, so it’ll be interesting to hear if your impressions change. I recall the mids, in particular, improving post burn-in.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #4,059 of 9,409
+1 and also know when we'll get it in Europe!

In Germany, my dealer told me that I can receive it within this week. But he also said, they will have a limited number of units in the first batch in EU, as most of the first units will go to Asian countries. Then it might be until December that no new units are delivered.

As I don't have the original SPK, I will just compare it to Hugo2 (w/ LCDi4 and HD800). Last time I tried it briefly but 1) not my music, 2) not my HP/IEM. If in case I don't like it, before sending it back I can first ask you people if you want to have it for -10% (€2025) of the original price, which is €2250.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #4,060 of 9,409
In Germany, my dealer told me that I can receive it within this week. But he also said, they will have a limited number of units in the first batch in EU, as most of the first units will go to Asian countries. Then it might be until December that no new units are delivered.

Thanks for the heads up!

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #4,064 of 9,409
I had some spare brass and was going to get the sp1000m, I was told it had noticely better sound than the sp1k, (less noise and more clarity.)

You should take your spare brass knuckles (?!?) and have a talk with whoever told you that fable :D

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #4,065 of 9,409
On the sp1000m the anolog line is very short that has less noise than the sp1k resulting in clarity+
oooooo thats way the Shanling M0 is the best player in the world , is so small everithing is so close....my God...i don't understand much but i thing that the components need a minimum of space to work right, otherwise Sony didn't have to make this last player that looks almost like a desktop to make it better than the 1Z...the only logic A/B comparation is when the Sp1000 ss or cu have the latest firmware like the M ,yes this can make a diference if people compare they own sp1000 without it ,of course that are diferences, the firmware updates changes the sound ,at least for me...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back