New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,932 of 9,409
I don't really know what "better" means. Better better, or "the new shiny blue color tickles your eyes, which in turn tickles your ears and it feels funny but sounds good" better. :)

I really like this product, especially the size of it. It is a bit thicker but smaller otherwise. There was also a SE100 on the desk which looked really bulky in comparison. For me it ticks nearly (except the Bluetooth receive mode) all the boxes - especially with the APK loading. I frankly could not justify the price difference between Hugo2 and the original SP1000, as I always carry around a mobile phone and a small bag with me. I will most probably sell my Hugo2 when I receive my SP1000M.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,933 of 9,409
The M better than sp1000cu or ss? Only if AK is crazy...i don't believe that...from other hand there are people that says that the Sony 1A plays better than the 1Z....the hell not...the 1Z is miles ahead...so be calm...don't believe in everything that is said, better sound for some is not for all

Seems like a great strategy to me. The SP1000 has already been out a while so the majority of people who were willing to spend that much already have. Now the people who previously found the SP1000 too expensive will consider buying the M, and even existing owners will be tempted as well.

Considering it has the same DAC chips and according to WhatHiFi it even has a upgraded audio block layout, it would be odd if they made it sound worse than it was capable of sounding. Maybe they could justify that if it only had 1 DAC chip like the AK300 compared to the AK380, but as the components are pretty much identical I don't see any reason they should make it sound worse.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #3,936 of 9,409
its difficult for me to imagine A&K producing a DAP that sounds better than the SP1000. Fair play if they have as I for one think the SP1000 sounds incredible.

That's the reason I don't understand why people are so concerned if the M sounds better, the SP1000 is still a great sounding player and nothing will change that. Whatever you buy there's always going to be something that is newer and better.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #3,937 of 9,409
Why shouldn't be possible that the M sounds better? I guess someone who spent a lot for the ultimate device is disappointed if something better for less is coming along. That things get better for less was happening constantly in the digital camera market and there were a lot of customer complaining that they were just buying a camera and then more megapixels with more functions are available just a short time after they got their toy.
There will be a better one a few month after one gets the SP1000M but does that matter if that player is enjoyable and has the functions one wants.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #3,939 of 9,409
Not very comparable at all. Something like the AK70 is a more subtle upgrade, but the SP1000 will sound very different from any phone. A better comparison is something like the Ultrasone Naos, which IMO still isn't as good as the Sp1000 but also only $250.

So in other words I will be able to tell a difference between the HTC10 phone and SP1000M with a high-end IEM?

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,940 of 9,409
If anyone here is attending RMAF this weekend in Denver, we will be demoing the SP1000M, along with the new firmware for the SP1000 and SE100. We'll be in the CanJam section.

This might be a weird question, but how can I have Chinese keyboard in my SP1000 Cu? I have a decent amount of chiChin songs that I can't search in my sp1000. I mean there are roughly 10,000 chineCh songs in it. I need a way to search Chinese really bad.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #3,941 of 9,409
This might be a weird question, but how can I have Chinese keyboard in my SP1000 Cu? I have a decent amount of chiChin songs that I can't search in my sp1000. I mean there are roughly 10,000 chineCh songs in it. I need a way to search Chinese really bad.
Due to new regulations in the Chinese market, we were forced to devide firmware by region. The only difference is what languages and keyboards are used.

CM
- Countries : Europe, USA, Japan, Russia, all other countries expect for CN version
- Language : English, Korean, Japanese, Russian, German, French, Spanish
- Keyboard: English, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Spanish

CN
- Countries : China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea
- Language: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional
- Keyboard: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional

You can have the firmware changed to a different version by sending it into one of our regional service centers. This cannot be done by the user.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #3,942 of 9,409
Due to new regulations in the Chinese market, we were forced to devide firmware by region. The only difference is what languages and keyboards are used.

CM
- Countries : Europe, USA, Japan, Russia, all other countries expect for CN version
- Language : English, Korean, Japanese, Russian, German, French, Spanish
- Keyboard: English, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Spanish

CN
- Countries : China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea
- Language: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional
- Keyboard: English, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional

You can have the firmware changed to a different version by sending it into one of our regional service centers. This cannot be done by the user.
Hi Jason

How should I do it? And what about upgrading firmware after that?

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #3,943 of 9,409
Hi Jason

How should I do it? And what about upgrading firmware after that?
Based on your profile, it looks like you are located in the US. You would need to send the player to our offices in Irvine, CA. We will change the firmware and send the player back to you. There is no charge for us to change it.

Future firmware updates after that are the same as before. You will get prompted when a new firmware is available and the upgrade would be the same language version of firmware you have installed on the player at that moment.

You can email our US support at support.inc at iriver.com to get the process started.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #3,944 of 9,409
Size wise SP1000M's most appealing out of three contenders but if it sounds similar or inferior to SP1000,
there's not much merit in getting one for SP1K owners.

SP1000m
67.9 x 117 x 16.9
LPGT
68.6 x 119 x 21
Cayin N8
70 x 128 x 21

* SP1000
75.8 x 132 x 16.2

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #3,945 of 9,409
Why shouldn't be possible that the M sounds better? I guess someone who spent a lot for the ultimate device is disappointed if something better for less is coming along. That things get better for less was happening constantly in the digital camera market and there were a lot of customer complaining that they were just buying a camera and then more megapixels with more functions are available just a short time after they got their toy.
There will be a better one a few month after one gets the SP1000M but does that matter if that player is enjoyable and has the functions one wants.
It's not a matter of my SP1000 not being great anymore because the M comes along. Personally, if the M sounds better, hey more power to new M owners.

It's just a discussion of good business practice by AK because some of us are interested in the audio company that sells the audio products we love so much. Assuming AK still has a good amount of SP1000 units (I could be wrong about this), if the M is really better sounding, NO ONE is going to buy an SP1000 at $3,500 but will buy the M at around $2,400 (I forget the price), ie., it isn't worth an additional $1,100 to just get more battery life and a dock for a not-even-announced amp unit.

Just my two cents worth.

Just got my SP1000 back from AK so I'm enjoying it immensely. AK was kind enough to throw in some MQA files and a really fancy leather micro SD card holder. AK replaced my CPU processor due to my stupidity in trying a magnetic USB cable.

Cheers!

CJ
:L3000::L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back