New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #3,587 of 9,409
just got my new micro sd card 400GB. want to use it with my sweet and lovely SP1000. my current 200GB is already full and I need more space ...
which format should I use with the 400gb card (under Mac OS)? I think that I should format it before I use it ..
thanks
Should work just like that out of the box (mine did), but A&K suggests to format it as FAT32.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,589 of 9,409
It's never about 2X better sound for 2X bigger price. At these price levels the improvement is incremental, and there are many people who can't hear the difference. But some can and they are willing to pay 2X for those incremental differences. Which is why there is an SP1000, or a Sony Z or an LPG. Some users want to squeeze every bit of quality attainable out of the sound files and are willing to pay for the privilege. Count me as one of those. But if not, the lower-cost models are very very good. And improving all the time.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,590 of 9,409
thanks,
i decide not to format the card and use it directly.
how many GB do you really see in the DAP, from the 400 GB micro sd card Sandisk ?
because, when I insert in the SP1000 I have only 366,76 GB when I check into the DAP menu. where are the 40 GB ?
and when I check into commander one I can see : 393,08 GB available.

secondly, I have always one new folder in my DAP : LOST.DIR
I'm using Mac OS.
even if I delete that folder it appears as soon as I restart the DAP. how can I definitively delete that folder ?

thanks

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,591 of 9,409
thanks,
i decide not to format the card and use it directly.
how many GB do you really see in the DAP, from the 400 GB micro sd card Sandisk ?
because, when I insert in the SP1000 I have only 366,76 GB when I check into the DAP menu. where are the 40 GB ?
and when I check into commander one I can see : 393,08 GB available.

secondly, I have always one new folder in my DAP : LOST.DIR
I'm using Mac OS.
even if I delete that folder it appears as soon as I restart the DAP. how can I definitively delete that folder ?

thanks
The LOST.DIR folder is automatically created whenever a microSD card is inserted into an Android-based device (AK players run a modified version of Android OS). There is no way to delete it as Android will recreate it next time the player is turned on. It does not affect space on the drive.

The difference in amount of free space is because of the file system on the card once formatted and the way manufacturers show capacity of cards. Most base it on 1GB = 1,000 MB, but in reality it is 1,024 MB for every GB, so technically the card holds less that 400GB even before formatting.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 8, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #3,592 of 9,409
The LOST.DIR folder is automatically created whenever a microSD card is inserted into an Android-based device (AK players run a modified version of Android OS). There is no way to delete it as Android will recreate it next time the player is turned on. It does not affect space on the drive.

The difference in amount of free space is because of the file system on the card once formatted and the way manufacturers show capacity of cards. Most base it on 1GB = 1,000 MB, but in reality it is 1,024 MB for every GB, so technically the card holds less that 400GB even before formatting.
Thanks @Jason ! for your support, we really appreciate.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #3,593 of 9,409
Hi

I'm currently using an LPG with an audeze sine.

The sine recommended power input is 500mW to 1W.

I' considering to replace it by an SP1000 but I don't know if the power output unbalanced will be enought. The power is expresssed in Volt not in Watt.

Also the battery is mutch bigger on the LPG for about the same playing time.

Second point : i've read many comments about the useless EQ on the Sp1000 but it's no so evident reading the manual. I'm a big fan of the parametric EQ of the LPG.

Does anybody can develop the point ?

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #3,594 of 9,409
I found a calculator that convert 2V at 32 ohms equal to 125mW.

So LPG is 4 time more powerfull than the SP1000 ?

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #3,595 of 9,409
Second point : i've read many comments about the useless EQ on the Sp1000 but it's no so evident reading the manual. I'm a big fan of the parametric EQ of the LPG.

You want a really great EQ? Don't buy the SP1000 (or any AK). What they have is not "useless," but it surely isn't
dramatic. The AK sound signature is what is delivered by the company. AK has no desire for the end user to mess with that sound beyond slightly. Go back in this thread a few pages and read what Jason (of AK) wrote. Read what users wrote. Go by that.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,596 of 9,409
Hi

I'm currently using an LPG with an audeze sine.

The sine recommended power input is 500mW to 1W.

I' considering to replace it by an SP1000 but I don't know if the power output unbalanced will be enought. The power is expresssed in Volt not in Watt.

Also the battery is mutch bigger on the LPG for about the same playing time.

That set is flat almost across Bass and mids yeah?
If you want to use an EQ to change the sound profile and add some bass or something the AK in not the DAP for you. Get an Ibasso and load Neutron and use the PEQ on that app

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #3,597 of 9,409
Hi. I've read jason response and I must admit that product is not for me.

Or I change my headphones cause listening to the sine flat, it's impossible : way too bright.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,598 of 9,409
See- you just saved $3500 and some aggravation. It sounds like you are in the market for new headphones. Why not check with the folks on the LPG thread(s) and ask what they use.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,599 of 9,409
Hi. I've read jason response and I must admit that product is not for me.

Or I change my headphones cause listening to the sine flat, it's impossible : way too bright.

Instead of switching/upgrading your source, you need to look first into a new pair of headphones that fit your sound preference. And btw, LPG has a slightly boosted treble which doesn't help in your situation :wink:

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,600 of 9,409
Hi,

I have good news about a new micro sdxc SD card for the SP1000.

Although in dire need of more storage capacity, I have refrained from purchasing the present 512 GB cards because their writing speed is too low and because I didn't trust their reliability ( indeed according to amazon reviews they seem prone to die after a few weeks), which were not issued by renowned companies.

Now the good news:
while looking at the information on Samsung site about the new Galaxy Note 9 smartphone ( I will order the version with 512 GB UFS onboard storage, which will provide 1 TB of storage in combination with a 512 GB SD card!), in the section about performance,
I noticed that Samsung is anouncing as well a 512 GB micro sdxc card in their praised EVO plus series: this is what I have been waiting for to upgrade my Sandisk 400 GB ultra cards, e.g. for my SP1000.

Have a nice weekend,
bidn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back