New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 24, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,353 of 9,409
New Gold edition of SP1000??
BB45735A08FB4BB97AE1EADDFAA99540.jpg

May 24, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,354 of 9,409
May 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3,355 of 9,409
New Gold edition of SP1000??
This is just one off special edition as a gift to a Japanese olympic gold medal figure skater, Hanyu Yuzuru. AK has no plan to sell this model according to Japanese news source.

May 25, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #3,357 of 9,409
OK, here it is, hot off the press, my full A&ultima SP1000 review!!! Sorry, it's a long read with a lot of detailed analysis, comparisons and pair ups.

a&k_sp1000_00.jpg

May 26, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #3,358 of 9,409
Very nice review, right on the mark. I've had the SS model for a good long while now and continue to be amazed by it. No buyer's remorse, no desire to try something new (well, it would be nice to have the CU version for those tracks that need more bass and timbre due to mixing and mastering- I demo'd it at CanJam and heard what you report re middle and lower end differences when compared to the stainless model). I liked how you kept using the word "transparency"- that's what impresses me the most with the SP. It's not producing a thick sound, you can hear inside the music. Paired with my Zeus XR I can, as you suggest, spend hours picking apart all of the details in each track. It's wide as all get out, has incredible detail, and presents the music in a way that makes me smile. I also agree with you that A&K doesn't want users fooling with the sound characteristic. Their devices deliver a specific sound and that's what they expect you to listen to. I've had the 120ll. the 240SS and now the 1000SS and they just keep getting better. GUI is wonderful, battery life is better even when using hi-res tracks, the feel is solid, and the sound is sublime. The only downside, and it's not the fault of the player, is that with poorly mastered or mixed tracks you can hear just how poorly they were done. But for decent or better tracks, you will hear new sounds on familiar tracks. Yes, the SP is heavy, but I carry mine in a belt case and don't suffer for it. It's basically the size (area) of my iPhone 7+, just a bit thicker and a fair amount heavier. It pairs well with my UERM, it paired well with my Angie, and it's very good with my Phantom (I'm still not sure the Phantom pairs well with me, but I'm working on it). I tried the Legend X at CanJam, lasted about a minute with it, made Jack laugh at how quickly I said "nope." The Zeus, to me, is the perfect match for the SP. I got the Aries ll in single 3.5 with both EE models (later bought a 2.5 for the Zeus and Jack swapped out the one on the Phantom for a 2.5 when he got a new shipment in) and agree that balanced is the way to go with this device. It's a noticeable sound difference, for the better.

For those of you reading Twister's review, all I can say is that his reviews led me to buy both the 120ll and the Angie, and I was very happy with both (I beat him to the SP, though :) ). If you are considering buying it, this review is a good way to make up your mind to take the plunge.

May 26, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,359 of 9,409
When using Dignis Design's Patina case, sometimes more than two buttons are pushed unintentionally. And it causes troubles.
iriver's original cases don't cause this trouble.The difference of the shapes of cases does it. In my case, the screen of "setting"
became blank and I could not change the setting. Reboot did not solve this problem. After some trials, I had to use u boot menu
and wipe setting. So be careful when you use tight cases for SP1000.

reboot.jpg

May 26, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #3,360 of 9,409
I'm glad I was able to buy the SP1000, I got the black version. I've been using CA Vega and the A&K T1P with it and have been nothing but impressed. I'm excited for the future with this DAP because I plan to buy a pair of full-sized on par with it, looking at the utopias, then eventually a good pair of CIEM and I know that the listening experience will only get better and better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back