New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #2,311 of 9,409
Sorry for being noob guys, but whats the sound differences between ss & cu version?
To my ears, SS has crystal clean sharply resolving sound while CU is a bit more airy and musical. That was the reason why I chose Cu. But obviously, YMMV.
I know it is difficult but the best way is to audition both side by side.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,312 of 9,409
Sorry for being noob guys, but whats the sound differences between ss & cu version?

My two grain of salt for choosing between CU / SS:

If you only listen to acoustic music / vocal heavy music or all you want to vocal. Then you can go all-in and get CU.
If you listening to a large variety of music, you want detail from all the background instruments then SS is the safer pick.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,314 of 9,409
I wonder how do IEMS (and possibly cable type) play into the choice?
It's a completely different factor. When comparing SS vs Cu, we are talking about the source. And for comparison, we use the same setup (HPs/IEMs + cable) to understand the differences. IEMs themselves have their own sound signature and needs comparison between multiple of them using the same source.

Now, I assume you are asking about a matching between an IEM and a source (either SS or Cu, just leave out the cable issue now). Matching is a product of complicated interaction between the source and the HPs/IEMs. Even after selecting your best favorite source and IEMs, there is no guarantee that the particular combination works great. There are so many factors in play (e.g. output power, impedance, etc.).

Therefore, only advice I can make is to try out a specific combination you would like to have. That is the only way, unfortunately. Now I know that it is difficult or near impossible to test your IEMs on both SS and Cu side by side. Then buy one from a retailer offering a good return policy. Try it out for a week or two then decide. Even better buy both and compare and return one.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,316 of 9,409

If you only listen to acoustic music / vocal heavy music or all you want to vocal. Then you can go all-in and get CU.
If you listening to a large variety of music, you want detail from all the background instruments then SS is the safer pick.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I already know which to get:)

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,317 of 9,409

I fully agree. Good conclusion. However, the sound difference is quite small imho, and also smaller than that between AK380 and AK380Cu, for example (I have no comparison to AK380SS though).

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,318 of 9,409
I would like to as is it generally not good if I am charging while playing song on my SP1000? Or it is only a misconception.
I am using a standard Apple ipad 10W charger 5.1V -2.1A

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,319 of 9,409
I would like to as is it generally not good if I am charging while playing song on my SP1000? Or it is only a misconception.
I am using a standard Apple ipad 10W charger 5.1V -2.1A

I dont see any issue, it just get a little warmer. but I would not recommend to do it for 24/7.

how fast does it charge with the apple charger?

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #2,320 of 9,409
I bought the rapid charger through Amazon for $10-15 (Aukey) and it charges very quickly. However, if you want to listen to music while it charges, plug it into your computer's USB port. Slower charging but it seems happy.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,321 of 9,409
I got Layla 2 at the Black Friday special price!!
It's a great match with my SP1000Cu.
The sound is sublime... (sorry, @LouisArmstrong)

9936090_l.jpg

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #2,323 of 9,409
Hey guys, I just got my SP1000 and love it! I noticed that when I use DAC through my macbook pro the sound quality sounds a bit distorted. I was looking at wether or not I should use the balanced output. Would buying an adapter for my headphones work? I have a K10 and Campfire Andromeda with reference 8 cables.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,324 of 9,409
Hey guys, I just got my SP1000 and love it! I noticed that when I use DAC through my macbook pro the sound quality sounds a bit distorted. I was looking at wether or not I should use the balanced output. Would buying an adapter for my headphones work? I have a K10 and Campfire Andromeda with reference 8 cables.

If your cable doesn't have a balance plug don't try to connect to the balance output, you are going to ruin your sp1000.

Regarding the distortion, did you try different usb cables?

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #2,325 of 9,409
If your cable doesn't have a balance plug don't try to connect to the balance output, you are going to ruin your sp1000.

Regarding the distortion, did you try different usb cables?
Thanks for getting back to me. I used the cable that came with my device.

Also, I think I can still exchange my reference 8 for the balanced version. Would this solve my issues? What exactly does the balanced output mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back