New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 30, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,922 of 9,406
Is the stainless steel a lot more scratch resistant than the copper?

I saw some photos where the demo unit of the copper had a fair amount of dents.

I’d say yes based on my AK240SS, my AK380cu has to be babysat a little bit more and kept in a case to keep it looking good. I have to shine my AK380cu at least once a month to keep it looking fresh.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,923 of 9,406
Stainless steel has about 2x the hardness of copper using the Mohs scale. This also means ss is easier to buff out scratches.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,924 of 9,406
After some years as a returning A&K customer (AK100 -> AK120 -> AK70 mrk I) I decided to join the club of SP1000 owners about a week ago. I have been enjoying this beautiful "little" music player ever since. I am using it together with the Shure SE846 IEM and guess what my next upgrade will be targeted at...:smile_phones: I do however need to recover from the cash drain after SP1000 purchase.

I am listening to a lot of different music covering classical orchestra, opera, jazz, rock, pop etc. and I do think that this combination of player and earphone offer a very nice sounding combination. IMHO the sound quality of this player together with my trusted SE846 is no less than amazing - though I am sure improvements can be made.

I am also new to this forum and have a quick question that you might be able to answer for me. In my album view the player displays som albums double even though the album only is stored in one location on the player. An example of this is David Bowies - Let's Dance album where it will show up as "Let's Dance" and then again as a seperate album named "Letâ€(tm)s Dance". Unfortunately I am unable to upload images to the forum properly because I am a new member and this is my first post.

Some time a "initialize media scan" will cure the problem and the album will show once in the album view. Then after I have switched the player on and off a number of times the double display of albums in album view is back and a "ini..." will then solve the problem again. The "double" display of albums in album view does only seem to happen when the album title includes special characters such as "let's" in the David Bowie album title or the speciel danish characters "åæø".

Any advice on what can be done to overcome this problem would be highly appreciated.

Br - Brian
Welcome to the forum Brian.
You’re using my current mobile setup, it is indeed a good pairing for the most part.. although the SP1000 clearly outperforms the SE846 capabilities (especially in the treble region where the SP is a master of micro detailing and precision while the SE rolled-off treble is underwhelming to say the least..)

Regarding the double display of an album.. both folders have all the songs or you have half in one folder half in the other?
I had a similar problem for a free compilation album downloaded from Native DSD where DSD64 songs and DSD128 songs where displayed in two different albums..

Count me in as one who has sold off their complete desktop rig and sold my AK380CU for the SP1000 after listening to 64Audio U18.. waiting for my custom A18 to arrive. Honestly, the Shure SE846 sounds REALLY good and A18 sound AMAZING with the AK380cu. I’m done searching for a few years after this setup.
U18 + SP1000Cu is my "planned" mobile setup. :)
I had a brief audition of this combo and it was the closest thing to a "perfect mobile setup" I ever experienced.
It just lacked a little bit of sub-bass but it was minimal and maybe related more to my current state of mind than the U18.. It's reassuring to read a lot of people like this pairing.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,925 of 9,406
51632A85-1829-448D-A6F0-C6F7D93E6339.jpeg
92DE9187-4BEF-4B2B-8999-D60AB39F695E.jpeg
I REALLY enjoy my copper AK380 but I just can’t justify keeping it after purchasing the SP1000. So I’ve decided to sell my mint condition AK380cu if anyone is interested.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,926 of 9,406
Welcome to the forum Brian.
You’re using my current mobile setup, it is indeed a good pairing for the most part.. although the SP1000 clearly outperforms the SE846 capabilities (especially in the treble region where the SP is a master of micro detailing and precision while the SE rolled-off treble is underwhelming to say the least..)

Regarding the double display of an album.. both folders have all the songs or you have half in one folder half in the other?
I had a similar problem for a free compilation album downloaded from Native DSD where DSD64 songs and DSD128 songs where displayed in two different albums..

U18 + SP1000Cu is my "planned" mobile setup. :)
I had a brief audition of this combo and it was the closest thing to a "perfect mobile setup" I ever experienced.
It just lacked a little bit of sub-bass but it was minimal and maybe related more to my current state of mind than the U18.. It's reassuring to read a lot of people like this pairing.

I’m still really reluctant to go this route because boy oh boy is it an expensive combo. I’ve read the Tia Fourte has more sub base but that’s another 600 Bucks. I’m waiting for their Black Friday sale (hopefully 20% off=600 0ff) before pulling the trigger for my A18. Ear molds done and sent off, count down time.

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #1,927 of 9,406
Count me in as one who has sold off their complete desktop rig and sold my AK380CU for the SP1000 after listening to 64Audio U18.. waiting for my custom A18 to arrive. Honestly, the Shure SE846 sounds REALLY good and A18 sound AMAZING with the AK380cu. I’m done searching for a few years after this setup.

I still have my at home audio setup although it is only used to play TV sound while the TV is on...and all music is played through my mobile setup - I do really enjoy the sound and quality of the SP1000.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,929 of 9,406
I’m still really reluctant to go this route because boy oh boy is it an expensive combo. I’ve read the Tia Fourte has more sub base but that’s another 600 Bucks. I’m waiting for their Black Friday sale (hopefully 20% off=600 0ff) before pulling the trigger for my A18. Ear molds done and sent off, count down time.
I am still recovering from the purchase of the SP1000 and during recovery I will enjoy the SP1000 and SE846 combo.

All the files of the "double display" albums are FLAC 24bit/44,1KHz ripped from the original CDs and all files of the album are stored in one and the same folder as //music/artist name/album name. I do assume its because the player are getting "confused" when indexing albums with special characters in the album names - but this is my random guess...

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,930 of 9,406

I would get the Tia Fourte by all means. Tia Fourte together with SP1000Cu is so good that I actually reach out less and less to my HE1000v2 even when I am at home.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #1,931 of 9,406
I would get the Tia Fourte by all means. Tia Fourte together with SP1000Cu is so good that I actually reach out less and less to my HE1000v2 even when I am at home.

Mind if I asked what motivated you to take this route over the U18/A18 customs? I’ve been contemplating between the A18 / tia Fourte and keep thinking custom is the way to go at this price range because of versatility regarding the modules.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #1,932 of 9,406
Mind if I asked what motivated you to take this route over the U18/A18 customs? I’ve been contemplating between the A18 / tia Fourte and keep thinking custom is the way to go at this price range because of versatility regarding the modules.

I had a few customs like the UE18Pro, Westone 5 and Kaiser 10. IMO just because they are customs doesn't make them sound better. The only reason I bought those in custom was that they were only available as custom (K10U came out much later than when I ordered the K10). They all suffer from varying degrees of trouble, like fit problem, long repair time etc - bottom line is they seem much less durable than my universals in general. I try to refrain from them whenever I have the choice of picking universal instead.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,933 of 9,406
After some years as a returning A&K customer (AK100 -> AK120 -> AK70 mrk I) I decided to join the club of SP1000 owners about a week ago. I have been enjoying this beautiful "little" music player ever since. I am using it together with the Shure SE846 IEM and guess what my next upgrade will be targeted at...:smile_phones: I do however need to recover from the cash drain after SP1000 purchase.

I am listening to a lot of different music covering classical orchestra, opera, jazz, rock, pop etc. and I do think that this combination of player and earphone offer a very nice sounding combination. IMHO the sound quality of this player together with my trusted SE846 is no less than amazing - though I am sure improvements can be made.

I am also new to this forum and have a quick question that you might be able to answer for me. In my album view the player displays som albums double even though the album only is stored in one location on the player. An example of this is David Bowies - Let's Dance album where it will show up as "Let's Dance" and then again as a seperate album named "Letâ€(tm)s Dance". Unfortunately I am unable to upload images to the forum properly because I am a new member and this is my first post.

Some time a "initialize media scan" will cure the problem and the album will show once in the album view. Then after I have switched the player on and off a number of times the double display of albums in album view is back and a "ini..." will then solve the problem again. The "double" display of albums in album view does only seem to happen when the album title includes special characters such as "let's" in the David Bowie album title or the speciel danish characters "åæø".

Any advice on what can be done to overcome this problem would be highly appreciated.

Br - Brian
Welcome to the SP1000 club. I see the hole in your wallet. Sorry about that. :joy:

Anyway, I have yet to experience this issue on my SP1000 - I'm hoping other owners might be able to assist.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,934 of 9,406
For absolute comfort, I wouldn't choose anything but a custom.

However, a universal is much easier to use and maintain. Cleaning can be a PITA when it comes to customs. Moreover, with universals, you can freely share your IEMs. I'd still go with customs at the end of the day (if I had to choose between either), but it's no longer the simple and easy choice that I thought it was.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,935 of 9,406

Im really reluctant to try them but I’m going to test drive the Tia Fourte. I thought customs sounded better because they blow I out more background noise.

Also, do you happen to still have your AK380cu? If so, can you confirm if you hear a noticeable difference after the firmware update that was released yesterday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back