New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 20, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #121 of 9,409
...The SP1000 has the potential to become the new flagship DAP. Its soundstage is larger compared to the AK380, with very good separation and positioning. The mids are simply great, the highs good too, but I could not hear much difference to the AK380 there. However, there is one major downside at this point of time. The displayed units of the SP1000 had some very audible bass distortion with many tracks at normal listening levels...
T4S Bernie! :beerchug:

I would be interested to know if A&K will finally allow the user to select the DAC's native "filter" options. The AK4490s also have user-selectable filters but as we know, A&K didn't give us the option with the AK3xx series...
Next question will be to figure out what AKM updated with their new AK4497...

Last but not least, will an ext. Amp be necessary given the boost for balanced-signal users... ? A&K's spec-sheet states 4V... pretty decent for all but the most demanding cans, me thinks...

...balance implementation is crucial. Sony's use of kimber is a sign of doing the right thing from a quality and implementation stand point.
AK use of ribbon in its balance implementation design is not what I would call high end and in my opinion it doesn't sound as good as the SE input...
I'd love to "read up" on this topic - can you please provide us with some source-material (be it in-house threads or external sources) - thx :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #123 of 9,409
hmm.. Not 10k player?.. So not totl yet..

Dissappointing.. Come back when you release 10k player..

And this is good contribution to the thread.

May 21, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #127 of 9,409
Mm..Tidal streaming is supported. No offline listening feature. No Tidal Masters.
Yes no Tidal off-line but how do you know that there is no Tidal Masters ?

May 21, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #128 of 9,409
Mm..Tidal Masters are only available on PC (Windows) and Macs (Mac OS) Tidal apps or webapps. iOS, Android and hybrid mobile OS version of Tidal are not yet supported for Tidal Masters streaming. Has something changed? I have not read of any.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #130 of 9,409
May be the models that are coming out later or in the future will have a different memory configuration as in bigger. What do you guys think?

May 21, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #131 of 9,409
With a headfier friend we went 3 days to Munich and we are back now.

We found that this was by far the A&K's best product:

Best A&K product.jpg

But... the 'revelation' of MUNICH's show was the new A&K ultima SP1000. It's a big BIG step Up compared to the AK380, expecially in terms of details.

We intensively tested the SS and CU version with a Shure KSE 1500 electrostatic in-ear.

I prefered the CU while my friend prefered the SS. He feels that he lossed some details with the CU. I could agere but still I prefered the added warms of the CU. Matter of taste ! :)

9946704.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #132 of 9,409
May 21, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #133 of 9,409
This is just a personal use case, but I have never use any bundle charger, so this is not a big deal for me. The question really boils down to SS vs. Cu, and I am leaning toward SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back