New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 16, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #77 of 9,406
Mm...same starting price as ak 380 cu. is the indicated price same for both copper and ss? High power with low distortion.......so, no need for add-on amp?? They kept the distinctive design language that the AK 240 pioneered.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #78 of 9,406
i heard there are more releases in the summer for AK and I do not think sp1000 is AK new flagship for 2017

Mm..source?

Edit: 'The SP1000 is the first model in the new A&ultima line of Astell&Kern players. The A&ultima line of players by Astell&Kernfeatures the latest technology and high-end audio performance available in a portable player."

So, is the SP 1000 the entry-level of the new line or the flagship of the new line? And the subsequent models will be???

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #81 of 9,406
Hoping it's not kapatid!

May 17, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #82 of 9,406
Besides low power output and the 256 Gb and 1 microSD slot (1/2 total capacity of KANN, and no more than my A&K 100 with 2 microSd slots !), the biggest disappointment is "NO TDIAL Off-Line" as A&K mentioned on facebook to me:

" Unfortunately, no TIDAL offline. We cannot offer TIDAL offline mode due to contractual agreements TIDAL has with the record labels. Offline mode is only available on TIDAL's native apps in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Offline mode is not allowed on third party hardware TIDAL applications per TIDAL's agreements with the record labels."

So I will go at MUNICH tomorow to the NIPRIME booth to see and listen to their OMNIA.

Omnia Package - 31-03-2017-02.png

These two working products will be showing at HIGH END Show, Hall 1 C05 in Munich, Germany from May 18 to 22.
Note that Omnia is sold together with the dock. MSRP has not been decided.
The Omnia media server and renderer are automatically started when the device is powered up. They are part of the system integrated with low level device API and firmware. In order to prevent users from "breaking" the device, we won't open up the Play store. If you want to use any Apps, we have to certify the app and then make it available for Omnia to download. Popular music services like Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc will be available on the device by default.

image.php

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #83 of 9,406

noticed the cellular signal icon?
no way on earth it could have cellular capabilities as that would be simply amazing

May 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #84 of 9,406
I do like the new album cover flow view, but still not convinced. Not saying that I won't buy one, because constantly upgrading and spending tons of $$ for marginal benefit is what two channel people do. Just not going to be an early adopter. Maybe this time next year. (you can also read this as I bought my AK380CU and amp in September and I am trying to mentally rationalize my purchase before jumping on the upgrade band wagon)

May 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #86 of 9,406
I do like the new album cover flow view, but still not convinced. Not saying that I won't buy one, because constantly upgrading and spending tons of $$ for marginal benefit is what two channel people do. Just not going to be an early adopter. Maybe this time next year. (you can also read this as I bought my AK380CU and amp in September and I am trying to mentally rationalize my purchase before jumping on the upgrade band wagon)

Mm..given that this is a new line for A&K and subsequent models have yet to be revealed, I am very hesitant to switch from the cu system. So, yes. Wait mode until next year as well.

May 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #87 of 9,406
I'm dead sure this SP1000 is not the real flagship since it's the same price with the AK380. It's just considered a new flagship for another line of their DAP.
Be prepared to see a close to $5000 real flagship AK4xx series.
Mark my words.

May 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #88 of 9,406
From Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/astellnker...1274494693248/837443829742974/?type=3&theater
"The 1st flagship emerged from A&ultima http://bit.ly/2rpxBX4"

From their website: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/sp1000/sp1000_feature01.asp
"The A&ultima SP1000 is a one-of-a-kind, high-end, powerful flagship high resolution music player equipped with the latest advanced features.

A true flagship high-resolution music player"

Seems to me they're pretty set on calling it a flagship. Plus with the AK300 series they announced the flagship AK380 first. I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed their new flagship.

May 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #89 of 9,406
On the back of the player can be seen the screw for additional amplifier and the pins at the buttom where it connects.
At least the difference in weight between the steel and copper version is in grams. :)
Seems like a flagship to me for 2017 and i think they purely focus on the dual AKM 4497 Eq DAC chip.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #90 of 9,406
What's with the new branding of "A&ultima"? What happen to Kern and why the lower case "u"? Also it looks like the person who designs the chassis is finally sober - 90 degree angles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back