New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 21, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,261 of 9,414
Well, I am surprised, because people still transport SP1000 into Mojo for that Chord performances :wink: . Anyways, we are heading into a good future as I think it wouldn't be too long before we can really have an all in one DAP, a really powerful one
Well, I've yet to get my USB-C to Micro-USB adapter working, or I might try that combination for myself. :D

Jokes aside, it's quite a different flavor, between the Mojo and the SP1000. I guess if one's in the mood for the Mojo sound, using the SP1000 as a source may sound a little odd, but nonetheless, it still does the job well. For a DAP, the AK UI is tough to beat.

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #1,262 of 9,414
Stacking portable components is not all it's cracked up to be imho. You never get the sleek size and convenience of a DAP. Anyone who has tried to use a smartphone as a transport faces incompatibilities and limited storage space. For on the go, it is a major PITA carrying multiple pieces with multiple charges and multiple interconnects and silicon bands that cover important areas of the screen. And when you are putting all this together on a plane, you are likely to get some intense stares from the flight crew because it looks like you are wiring up an IED. For all these reasons, I found myself leaving these components behind and just taking my phone and BT headphone. Even the AKC380CU and Amp stack was too much to be truly portable imho. The SP1000 and Laylas are so good that I don't think twice about taking them everywhere I go and keep them in my work backpack. If I had to add my CDM to stack with the SP1000, you can bet I would go back to my phone and BT headphone.

My answer to "what's the best audio setup?" is "the one that I listen to the most". For now it is SP1000 and Laylas. However, Utopia keep tempting me, but I am making sure I don't fall into the trap of buying and leaving it at home. If only I had followed my own advice, I would have so much more money in my pocket right now.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #1,264 of 9,414
I just picked up the new copper SP1000 and have been struggling all weekend trying to connect an external SSD. I have the most current firmware and have tried various cables including a Belkin USB -C t USB-C, a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 and others. The External USB button lights up when I connect the 1TB portable Samsung SSD. But once I press the button after the swirling circle stops, I do not get any additional message. I have tried reversing the cables - still no luck. I tried resetting to factory settings - still no go. Can you suggest what might be wrong and how to correct it.
Any USB-C to USB-A 3.1 OTG adapter should be sufficient.

The function still is not "officially" supported, we are still in the process of testing with various brands of cables and drives.

Personally, I am using a cheap $5 OTG USB-C to USB 3.1 adapter I purchased from Amazon.com. The brand name is CableCreation.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,266 of 9,414
@JasonNYC
i have a question which may also concerns most of SP1000 owners : The films protector in the SP1000 box doesn't cover fully the screen glass of the DAP like what we had with the previous DAP. Is there any reason ? previous DAP had leather cover, but the Films protector fully covered the glass screen.
Second issue is that all supplier selling alternative (better quality) protector films and glass screen sell also covers and glass which cover the screen about only half (50%, 60%). I ordered many, and none of them could cover fully the screen.
Example : http://www.ebay.com/itm/iProtek-Ast...or-Not-Full-/292134108765?hash=item44048cbe5d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Back-Screen-Protector-Clear-Anti-Blue-Film-Astell-Kern-A-ultima-SP1000/122533559504?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Is there any reason ?

thanks
sam

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,267 of 9,414
Any USB-C to USB-A 3.1 OTG adapter should be sufficient.

The function still is not "officially" supported, we are still in the process of testing with various brands of cables and drives.

Personally, I am using a cheap $5 OTG USB-C to USB 3.1 adapter I purchased from Amazon.com. The brand name is CableCreation.

Hey Jason, I understand that the function is not "officially" supported; but, from what I have read in the forums, the cables I am using and the drive I am using are the ones that others have had success with. In fact, I tried the cable you are using as well. The SSD is recognized by a laptop running Windows 10 as well as a one running macOS. I thought that I needed to have a reasonable amount of data on the drive so I loaded about 50 GB of music on it and still no luck. So, if the cables I have been trying (all 6 or 7 of them) have had success for others and the SSD is recognized by my PCs and is the same one that others are using ( including you) and I am running the latest firmware on the SP1000; then, I am beginning to think there may be something wrong with the SP1000 . Please help. Thanks.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #1,268 of 9,414
For awhile, I actually had the Hugo 2 on preorder. In the end, after listening to the 2 in a brief comparison, I was convinced that the SP1000 was on a level sufficiently close to the Hugo 2. I love Chord's products, and the Hugo 2 is something I might still purchase in the future. However, my listening habits are mostly on-the-go, and thus, an all-in-one DAP would be more suited for my needs than a DAC + source combo. I paid a pretty penny, but I'm certain that I made the right choice with the SP1000. :)

yeah, I agree that SP1000 has the advantage being a DAP and its portability is nothing to be scoffed at considering its sonic performance being summit-fi level.

For me though, I don't mind strapping my phone to that Hugo 2 so long as I can still text my friends from time to time.

If I do care about size though, there's always the pocket and wallet(see what I did there?)-friendly Mojo as alternative. :D

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #1,269 of 9,414
Finally got the proper time to dedicate in auditioning this for more than 5 minutes...

This will be good...

P_20170822_143142.jpg

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,270 of 9,414
Any recommendation for the following cables: (1) Lightning - USB-C (for iPhone - SP1000Cu) and (2) USB-C to USB-C (for Samsung Galaxy S8+ / upcoming Note 8, or possibly the upcoming iPhone 8 to SP1000Cu)? Thanks.

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,271 of 9,414
Hey Jason, I understand that the function is not "officially" supported; but, from what I have read in the forums, the cables I am using and the drive I am using are the ones that others have had success with. In fact, I tried the cable you are using as well. The SSD is recognized by a laptop running Windows 10 as well as a one running macOS. I thought that I needed to have a reasonable amount of data on the drive so I loaded about 50 GB of music on it and still no luck. So, if the cables I have been trying (all 6 or 7 of them) have had success for others and the SSD is recognized by my PCs and is the same one that others are using ( including you) and I am running the latest firmware on the SP1000; then, I am beginning to think there may be something wrong with the SP1000 . Please help. Thanks.
Let me reach out to our development team and get more information for you. I only mention that it is still not officially supported in that we do not have much info in our US offices to troubleshoot OTG at the moment. We are doing our own testing and troubleshooting so we can help out customers until our development team officially certifies the function, but I should be able to get more info from the development team. If I need additional info from you, I will PM you.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 22, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,272 of 9,414
Stacking portable components is not all it's cracked up to be imho. You never get the sleek size and convenience of a DAP. Anyone who has tried to use a smartphone as a transport faces incompatibilities and limited storage space. For on the go, it is a major PITA carrying multiple pieces with multiple charges and multiple interconnects and silicon bands that cover important areas of the screen. And when you are putting all this together on a plane, you are likely to get some intense stares from the flight crew because it looks like you are wiring up an IED. For all these reasons, I found myself leaving these components behind and just taking my phone and BT headphone. Even the AKC380CU and Amp stack was too much to be truly portable imho. The SP1000 and Laylas are so good that I don't think twice about taking them everywhere I go and keep them in my work backpack. If I had to add my CDM to stack with the SP1000, you can bet I would go back to my phone and BT headphone.

My answer to "what's the best audio setup?" is "the one that I listen to the most". For now it is SP1000 and Laylas. However, Utopia keep tempting me, but I am making sure I don't fall into the trap of buying and leaving it at home. If only I had followed my own advice, I would have so much more money in my pocket right now.
Yep. I do occasionally like my stacks, but they are unwieldy, heavy and a little cumbersome. It's certainly not for everyone, and especially not for those who love to travel light.

There are times when I just want to grab a DAP and an IEM and go about my day. I carry a bag almost everywhere I go, but using stacks when I'm on the move usually limits my ability to do anything else. For example, when I'm using my usual duo of the AK380 and the Rx Mk3-B+, I'm unable (or unwilling) to take calls when I'm standing or walking, since there's no way I could pocket this combo. My wife is acutely aware of these times; I'll just give her a ring when I'm able to do so at a later time.

yeah, I agree that SP1000 has the advantage being a DAP and its portability is nothing to be scoffed at considering its sonic performance being summit-fi level.

For me though, I don't mind strapping my phone to that Hugo 2 so long as I can still text my friends from time to time.

If I do care about size though, there's always the pocket and wallet(see what I did there?)-friendly Mojo as alternative. :D
Dude, I sure would like to see you text your friends with your phone strapped to the Hugo 2. People would be thinking.. "Damn, that's a huge powerbank!" :joy:

Anyway, the Mojo is a mighty fine alternative, especially for the mobile audiophile. Sure, it's not as fantastic as the Hugo 2, but it comes pretty close in a smaller body, with a more palatable price tag.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,273 of 9,414
@JasonNYC
i have a question which may also concerns most of SP1000 owners : The films protector in the SP1000 box doesn't cover fully the screen glass of the DAP like what we had with the previous DAP. Is there any reason ? previous DAP had leather cover, but the Films protector fully covered the glass screen.
Second issue is that all supplier selling alternative (better quality) protector films and glass screen sell also covers and glass which cover the screen about only half (50%, 60%). I ordered many, and none of them could cover fully the screen.
Example : http://www.ebay.com/itm/iProtek-Ast...or-Not-Full-/292134108765?hash=item44048cbe5d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Back-Screen-Protector-Clear-Anti-Blue-Film-Astell-Kern-A-ultima-SP1000/122533559504?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
So the glass ones from i-protek do not also cover the full screen?

That's really odd, considering most of the SP1000's screen is flat. It wouldn't be difficult to produce a protective sheet that covers most of the actual screen, yes? Strange, indeed.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,274 of 9,414
So the glass ones from i-protek do not also cover the full screen?
That's really odd, considering most of the SP1000's screen is flat. It wouldn't be difficult to produce a protective sheet that covers most of the actual screen, yes? Strange, indeed.
I got two version of glass from I-protect : one said long and one short. and none of them cover successfully the screen like before with AK380 and other DAP.
I spent now about 100 EUR trying to find a good film/glass protector : no solution.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,275 of 9,414
Any recommendation for the following cables: (1) Lightning - USB-C (for iPhone - SP1000Cu) and (2) USB-C to USB-C (for Samsung Galaxy S8+ / upcoming Note 8, or possibly the upcoming iPhone 8 to SP1000Cu)? Thanks.

I don't think iPhone will connect to SP1000 unless AK adds a feature to disable charging. In DAC mode, the SP1000 does charge so that would greatly exceed the max current iPhone can support which is a measly 100 mA. @JasonNYC, that is another feature request if it can be done in firmware. The FIIO amp/DAC support disabling charging but don't know if that's hardware and/or firmware related. This would allow DAC mode for SP1000 with smartphones and tablets being transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back