New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,096 of 9,409
BTW, new 1.04 firmware is out.

has someone tested it already ?

From what I read on Facebook, the sound seems to be different back to the 1.01 original sound, and also the added some useful feature like the possibility to play a song directly from the "history list".

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,097 of 9,409

From what I read on Facebook, the sound seems to be different back to the 1.01 original sound, and also the added some useful feature like the possibility to play a song directly from the "history list".
I'll do an update later, although I'm not one to believe in drastic (or even minute) changes in sound with firmware updates. In fact, I haven't done a firmware update since I got my SP1000.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,098 of 9,409
I don't believe I've ever heard a change in sound with any of my 3 preivious AK DAP with any firmware updates, but there are some here that swear there is.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,099 of 9,409

I don't have the SP1000 but I don't have a single dap that he FW hasn't changed the sound. Sometimes very minor and sometimes for the better and sometimes not but FW affect the CPU and how it then processes and in turn the sound can be affected.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,100 of 9,409
Travel report:

My SP1000 and Layla combo has traveled more than 20K miles in the past 6 weeks. I cannot find a flaw in terms of the portability to quality ratio. Battery life is easily 12 hours. I created a EQ profile for some added low end for in-flight listening and it worked really well and is much easier to manage than tweaking my bass modules on the Layla. The UI and the new multi input wheel control works great. The only thing that I changed is to not use the leather case. I purchased a full body armor on eBay and it covers about 90% of the surfaces so I am going naked SP1000. It also fits easier in my pocket without the leather case. I do need to find a soft padded case for it to protect it when it's inside my backpack. Good news is that I never had an issues going through security and the general public assumed I was holding a smartphone. I even had a flight attendant tell me "make sure your phone is in flight mode." With my AK240 and AK380, it was "What is that?" 90% of the time.

I am going to try to make it to the SF Meet so I can listen to the CU out of curiosity. I may also look for a portable (must fold flat) full size headphone that pairs well.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,101 of 9,409

I messaged you on our Facebook page. Our software development team added the option in this firmware version to play back songs directly from play history based on your recommendation suggested here and on our Facebook page.

Firmware updates will never change the sound of our players. We may tweak the PRO EQ setting or add an EQ setting like we've done in the past with the AKT5p setting, but we will never change the base sound of a player with a firmware update. If an EQ setting was changed or updated, it would be listed in the change log.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 7, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #1,102 of 9,409
I messaged you on our Facebook page. Our software development team added the option in this firmware version to play back songs directly from play history based on your recommendation suggested here and on our Facebook page.

Firmware updates will never change the sound of our players. We may tweak the PRO EQ setting or add an EQ setting like we've done in the past with the AKT5p setting, but we will never change the base sound of a player with a firmware update. If an EQ setting was changed or updated, it would be listed in the change log.

Thanks a LOT for taking my previous suggestion into consideration. I am honored !

I will let people comments on Firmware sound change. I never experienced this myself, but others pretend they did...

My other suggestion was that in the album mode we could choose between the curent 2 columns display and a more dense 4 columns that will allow to display 4 time more album per screen to make fast scrolling easier when we have a BIG database (note that In the 4 Columns mode, the titles are not necessary if they can't fit).

Will it be in another update ?
1f609.png

Left : ACTUAL MODE and Right : SUGGESTED Optional 4 Columns MODE

Album mode 2 colums.jpg Album mode 4 colums.jpg

And may I suggest that you also use this cover art mosaique in the "Artist mode" ? Or at least add Covert art on each line (the first album of the artist)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #1,103 of 9,409
I would buy another SP1000 if they would sort "Artist" by Album Artist instead or at least give the option. Folder view helps, but not as nice as the full UI.

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,104 of 9,409
And hopefully they will get AK Connect fixed with Deezer.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,105 of 9,409
hai guys. I have tried the sp1000 as version and not yet tried cu. I am currently using ak380 with amp duralium model. considering on either buying another DAP like sp1000 ss or cu or ak380cu combo. Any recommendations please. I have thought about on selling the current ak380 combo and upgrading to ak380cu combo and then maybe later buy another dap.

overall looking to see what everyone recommends for improvements in sound quality. like the next upgrade. Thanks

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #1,106 of 9,409
Mm...recomend you just upgrade straight to SP 1000 and skip the 380 cu. No price difference (380 cu vs. sp1000 ss) and many improvements (improved ui, better SQ, larger screen etc.) over the 380 series.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #1,108 of 9,409
Thanks a LOT for taking my previous suggestion into consideration. I am honored !

I will let people comments on Firmware sound change. I never experienced this myself, but others pretend they did...

My other suggestion was that in the album mode we could choose between the curent 2 columns display and a more dense 4 columns that will allow to display 4 time more album per screen to make fast scrolling easier when we have a BIG database (note that In the 4 Columns mode, the titles are not necessary if they can't fit).

Will it be in another update ?
1f609.png

Left : ACTUAL MODE and Right : SUGGESTED Optional 4 Columns MODE

And may I suggest that you also use this cover art mosaique in the "Artist mode" ? Or at least add Covert art on each line (the first album of the artist)

+1 on this

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,109 of 9,409
Travel report:

My SP1000 and Layla combo has traveled more than 20K miles in the past 6 weeks. I cannot find a flaw in terms of the portability to quality ratio. Battery life is easily 12 hours. I created a EQ profile for some added low end for in-flight listening and it worked really well and is much easier to manage than tweaking my bass modules on the Layla. The UI and the new multi input wheel control works great. The only thing that I changed is to not use the leather case. I purchased a full body armor on eBay and it covers about 90% of the surfaces so I am going naked SP1000. It also fits easier in my pocket without the leather case. I do need to find a soft padded case for it to protect it when it's inside my backpack. Good news is that I never had an issues going through security and the general public assumed I was holding a smartphone. I even had a flight attendant tell me "make sure your phone is in flight mode." With my AK240 and AK380, it was "What is that?" 90% of the time.

I am going to try to make it to the SF Meet so I can listen to the CU out of curiosity. I may also look for a portable (must fold flat) full size headphone that pairs well.

I purchased a soft case from Dignis "Borsa Medium" fits like a glove. Had to get it shipped from Korea though.
http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=128&cate_no=85&display_group=1

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,110 of 9,409
I purchased a soft case from Dignis "Borsa Medium" fits like a glove. Had to get it shipped from Korea though.
http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=128&cate_no=85&display_group=1

I went with the Lowepro Portland 30. The SP1000 did fit very tightly at the begin but things are starting to become better after some "hand stretching". Lowepro's specs for inner dimensions are 8cm x 6cm x 13.50cm, enough for SP1000's dimensions, but as it ships it's a bit less than that. Now it fits like a glove.
The case allows me to store the player in its leather case and the Audeze LCDi4 stored in its plastic support (not stored in the Audeze leather case), with a Samsung QuickCharge charger in the front pocket (sadly no place for the USB cable, tough). it can't get smaller than this to bring these things around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back