New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 8, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #8,298 of 9,409
I don't notice a crackling noise in the background when switching from MP3 tracks to FLAC or from MP3 to DSD64 maybe this is an issue with the files themselves since they're now on a more revealing player?

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #8,299 of 9,409
I don't notice a crackling noise in the background when switching from MP3 tracks to FLAC or from MP3 to DSD64 maybe this is an issue with the files themselves since they're now on a more revealing player?
In my case it wasn’t an issue with the files, believe me. I went back and forth on this already ad nauseam a few months back.
it was a very faint noise, and some people simply cannot hear it, in my opinion.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,300 of 9,409
In my case it wasn’t an issue with the files, believe me. I went back and forth on this already ad nauseam a few months back.
it was a very faint noise, and some people simply cannot hear it, in my opinion.

If there really is a faint cackle, I just wouldn't notice it if I'm listening casually through my playlists full of different files.

I realize this might bother some people though!

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #8,301 of 9,409
The DAP can make a faint noise when transitioning between different file types. I don't think that's what is being discussed here, though.

I have a 1000 and hear nothing between tracks.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #8,302 of 9,409
Well this sucks. It just happened while playing songs off it. Never have been dropped, never had contact with liquids, and kept in a dry cabinet.
9CCRuF9_d.jpg

Update on this:
I think it was shipped on October last year, they quoted me for the replacement screen and jacks (I don’t know why they’ll replace the jacks but they’re fully working when I dropped it off) on January, it’s being shipped to the distributor this week. I could’ve bought a used SR15 for the repair costs lol

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #8,303 of 9,409
? Huh why the jacks, also was your unit out of warranty?
Update on this:
I think it was shipped on October last year, they quoted me for the replacement screen and jacks (I don’t know why they’ll replace the jacks but they’re fully working when I dropped it off) on January, it’s being shipped to the distributor this week. I could’ve bought a used SR15 for the repair costs lol

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #8,304 of 9,409
? Huh why the jacks, also was your unit out of warranty?

Sadly out of warranty already. I don’t know about the jacks lol. That’s another 200usd if I’m not mistaken.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #8,305 of 9,409

Yes, I think is related to the low impedance of our Solaris.

In my case, I haven't tried with local files, only Tidal, and the sounds are very audible between tracks. Is like some kind of electromagnetic interference.

Edit: I've just tried with my se846 and some other lowfi earbuds and the sounds are not audible.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #8,306 of 9,409

In my case, I haven't tried with local files, only Tidal, and the sounds are very audible between tracks. Is like some kind of electromagnetic interference.

Edit: I've just tried with my se846 and some other lowfi earbuds and the sounds are not audible.

Im sure you're right! FWIW I own a Sony WM series walkman and a Cayin N8, and none of that happens in either one, wether I'm using SE or balanced.

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #8,307 of 9,409

Isn’t the impedance of the Shure’s lower than the Solaris ?

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #8,308 of 9,409
Isn’t the impedance of the Shure’s lower than the Solaris ?

Solaris 2020 94db 15.5ohm.
SE846 114db 9ohm.

Based on this, Solaris should be harder to drive than SEs, but I can tell than I need around 30% less power with Solaris. Maybe the impedance graphs tells a different history compared to the specs of both, dunno.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #8,309 of 9,409
The AK is more revealing. And the 846, while not "lowfi," doesn't have a lot of treble. I don't think it's impedance.

I have one of the most revealing IEMs ever made (Zeus) and with the 1000 there is no such sound between tracks. Maybe the M is different.

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #8,310 of 9,409
The AK is more revealing. And the 846, while not "lowfi," doesn't have a lot of treble. I don't think it's impedance.

I have one of the most revealing IEMs ever made (Zeus) and with the 1000 there is no such sound between tracks. Maybe the M is different.
I have no such sound either with the sp1000m and im using Moondrop S8 and Shure Se846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back