New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #8,252 of 9,406
Sorry for the delay in response as it was a holiday here in the US yesterday. I read all of the feedback over the past few days regarding software and updates. I will compile all the posts and share with our HQ teams.

We're glad to have you in this community, thank you!

May 28, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #8,256 of 9,406
Hi Folks just wanted to get a quick opinion if SP1000 is still a good buy compared to what is out there.
I was also looking at LP6K at a slightly lower price.

Both the SP1000 and the Lotoo PAW 6000 are great DAPs, I have both of them and I will tell you it's mainly a preference of sound signature that will make you decide.

The Ultima series from Astell&Kern all have pretty the same sound signature, a very balanced tuning that sounds a bit warm. The SP1000 specifically, has a pretty wide sound stage and decent imaging. Maybe a bit forgiving on poorer recordings. Very great DAP that you know can really "amplify" the music in your files almost everytime.

The Lotoo on the other hand like its bigger brother the PAW Gold Touch, has a cold analytical sound signature, it is truly a reference style DAP and the sound is closer to your ears compared to the SP1000. The DAP sounds very detailed but I would becareful about which IEMs to use with them because in your face very resolving IEMs like the Campfire Solaris in combination with the Lotoo P6K can sound harsh at times, almost as if there is way too much detail going into your ear canal.

I really love the Lotoo's sound signature because it has a very strong studio imaging in the sound and can make recordings in your music files sound as if they were playing it live as you listen. A very cool effect!

Not to mention the player has a custom OS that is lag free and the 5 second boot time and power off time.

I love both DAPs for their own reasons and if you were to choose either one just go with what sound signature you prefer.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #8,257 of 9,406
Both the SP1000 and the Lotoo PAW 6000 are great DAPs, I have both of them and I will tell you it's mainly a preference of sound signature that will make you decide.

The Ultima series from Astell&Kern all have pretty the same sound signature, a very balanced tuning that sounds a bit warm. The SP1000 specifically, has a pretty wide sound stage and decent imaging. Maybe a bit forgiving on poorer recordings. Very great DAP that you know can really "amplify" the music in your files almost everytime.

The Lotoo on the other hand like its bigger brother the PAW Gold Touch, has a cold analytical sound signature, it is truly a reference style DAP and the sound is closer to your ears compared to the SP1000. The DAP sounds very detailed but I would becareful about which IEMs to use with them because in your face very resolving IEMs like the Campfire Solaris in combination with the Lotoo P6K can sound harsh at times, almost as if there is way too much detail going into your ear canal.

I really love the Lotoo's sound signature because it has a very strong studio imaging in the sound and can make recordings in your music files sound as if they were playing it live as you listen. A very cool effect!

Not to mention the player has a custom OS that is lag free and the 5 second boot time and power off time.

I love both DAPs for their own reasons and if you were to choose either one just go with what sound signature you prefer.

In every sence a very balanced recap of ones impression. Cool. Thanks @DAPpower

May 28, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #8,258 of 9,406
Thanks for taking out your time to provide your feedback. This is very good insight of the two daps. Since I have Solaris SE and getting a good deal of SP1000 will get that. thanks again😊

May 28, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #8,260 of 9,406
Hey team,
Quick question: would it be possible to send audio from the SP1000 to my computer?
I tried to search this forum and it appears that I'd be able to do so with a OTG usb cable/adapter but I am not sure I got it right.
Thanks!

Yes, you can use the OTG Astell&Kern USB to USB-C cable to access the device's folders on the computer.

May 28, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #8,261 of 9,406
Hello, i have a Synology NAS. and I was trying to find out with my sp1000 how I can reach the music located in my NAS while I'm outside of my home, so not in connected to the same wifi.
Any help would be appreciated

May 29, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #8,262 of 9,406
Yes, you can use the OTG Astell&Kern USB to USB-C cable to access the device's folders on the computer.
Thanks for your answer. However, my issue is slightly different.
I'd like to "stream" a song from the SP1000 to the computer rather than using it to access the files that I have in my device.
Basically, I am trying to understand if I can use the SP1000 itself as a sound input. Is that possible at all?

May 29, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #8,263 of 9,406
Thanks for your answer. However, my issue is slightly different.
I'd like to "stream" a song from the SP1000 to the computer rather than using it to access the files that I have in my device.
Basically, I am trying to understand if I can use the SP1000 itself as a sound input. Is that possible at all?

Oh I see, the only other setup I can think of involving the computer is using the DAP as an external DAC via OTG cable, you can play a music file from the computer and input it through the DAP which then decodes the audio files as of they were on the DAP itself.

Was that what you meant?

May 29, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #8,264 of 9,406
Oh I see, the only other setup I can think of involving the computer is using the DAP as an external DAC via OTG cable, you can play a music file from the computer and input it through the DAP which then decodes the audio files as of they were on the DAP itself.

Was that what you meant?

That's very useful to know! But actually it's another problem that I am trying to solve. So, my mac is connected to an audio interface (Mackie), which I normally use for sound in and out. The Mackie, in turn, is connected to my speakers. Now, I want to use these speakers to play music that is on my DAP using the DAP’s DAC module. I know I could use a mixer but I don't have one here. So I was wondering if I could do something like this:
Mac sound input: SP1000
Mac sound output: audio interface

I seem to be able to set the SP1000 as sound output but not as sound input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back