New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #6,556 of 9,406
I have been using the current Tidal version since it was released with no issues... sounds like it may be a hardware issue for you. Have you tried downloading another APK app like Qobuz or Spotify? Just to see if you get the same issue...?

Sadly I cannot test any other APK because they all want to use the WiFi as part of their setup - which of course is not working. (see snap)

Before loading the Tidal 2.12.2 I checked its hash with 4 different sources (Yes, I am paranoid; the SHA256 has is e40f67fcbca2e468a7f71b37fe2fa8f9c458273df48cadff1182b2cc239a72b8) it is e40f67fcbca2e468a7f71b37fe2fa8f9c458273df48cadff1182b2cc239a72b8), so I know the APK was/is not corrupt.

The fact that you are using 2.12.2 without (more than the usual) trouble, is fantastic news though. It gives me a foundation to work with the local supplier. In Australia I am covered by consumer laws to have the product replaced, irrespective of whatever warranty (or lack thereof) A&K purports to have. The fact that A&K have a page describing how to sideload Tidal - and then attempt to deny any liability if anything goes wrong - does not hold any legal water here. At the same time, the local distributors are good guys and I don't want to cause them unnecessary grief. So I would prefer it if A&K resolved this without me having to insist on my legal rights...

I just want the ability to listen to lovely Tidal masters offline!!! Which is why I bought the SP1000. Though I must say it is audibly better than my AK320 - to my delight the sound stage is much crisper over my custom Noble Encore CIEMs.

THANK YOU for your advice and information; it really is appreciated

Attachments

• SP1000_no_wireless.jpg
    SP1000_no_wireless.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #6,557 of 9,406

Sadly I cannot test any other APK because they all want to use the WiFi as part of their setup - which of course is not working. (see snap)

Before loading the Tidal 2.12.2 I checked its hash with 4 different sources (Yes, I am paranoid; the SHA256 has is e40f67fcbca2e468a7f71b37fe2fa8f9c458273df48cadff1182b2cc239a72b8) it is e40f67fcbca2e468a7f71b37fe2fa8f9c458273df48cadff1182b2cc239a72b8), so I know the APK was/is not corrupt.

The fact that you are using 2.12.2 without (more than the usual) trouble, is fantastic news though. It gives me a foundation to work with the local supplier. In Australia I am covered by consumer laws to have the product replaced, irrespective of whatever warranty (or lack thereof) A&K purports to have. The fact that A&K have a page describing how to sideload Tidal - and then attempt to deny any liability if anything goes wrong - does not hold any legal water here. At the same time, the local distributors are good guys and I don't want to cause them unnecessary grief. So I would prefer it if A&K resolved this without me having to insist on my legal rights...

I just want the ability to listen to lovely Tidal masters offline!!! Which is why I bought the SP1000. Though I must say it is audibly better than my AK320 - to my delight the sound stage is much crisper over my custom Noble Encore CIEMs.

THANK YOU for your advice and information; it really is appreciated

I for the SP1000 for the same reason - I.e. A&K finally got around to Tidal offline and then Tidal Masters (well done AK by the way), and I was happy to be able to pick up one of their players for the first time since the old AK120 + Glove that I had some years ago (one of the best ever setups and perfect for hi res stuff that was loaded on from a computer).

I’m using 2.12.2 and it’s fine.

I do actually have an issue with mine which is that Bluetooth isn’t working properly (even after software reset etc), so I can only give it 3/5 for UI, even if the sound is great. Haven’t got round to exchanging mine yet because i don’t need BT that often, but it has been annoying a couple of times, so I will probably switch it for one that works properly.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #6,558 of 9,406
I just acquired the SP1000 to get access to the Tidal offline and MASTER capabilities. (Have an AK320) Sadly when I installed Tidal 2.12.2 APK WiFi stopped working after about an hour. Tried factory reset and clearing the machine nothing seemed to work to get it going again. Then a couple of hours later it decided to start working again. Reinstalled Tidal APK and worked fined with offline mode again. For about 3 hours then just stopped randomly. Deleted app and now faffing about seeing what combination of actions might get WiFi going again. I know A&K says they do not provide any warranty that the APK sideloads will actually work but this is really ridiculous.

Anybody else with a similar problem? Or can perhaps suggest an APK version which is stable for them and which I might try - once I somehow randomly get the WiFi running again. (Presuming I do!). Really do not want to reload all the audio files after another factory reset (which did not actually help first time I did it)

Any ideas appreciated
@RodLaird Sorry, just seeing this. We currently are running 2.12.1 on all our players in the office here. I have yet to update any of them to 2.12.2, but can confirm no issues with 2.12.1 on any of our players here. I would recommend a factory reset to clear out anything that could be left from a previous APK install and try installing 2.12.1. If you use APKPure to download the APK, at the bottom of the page, you can find previous versions. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 5, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #6,559 of 9,406
@RodLaird Sorry, just seeing this. We currently are running 2.12.1 on all our players in the office here. I have yet to update any of them to 2.12.2, but can confirm no issues with 2.12.1 on any of our players here. I would recommend a factory reset to clear out anything that could be left from a previous APK install and try installing 2.12.1. If you use APKPure to download the APK, at the bottom of the page, you can find previous versions. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Your information is most valuable and confirms my unit has a hardware glitch. The local distributors have replaced it with not fuss - as I would expect; they have always been excellent.

I note that with the APK browser add-in it is possible to download them directly from the Google play store, which pretty much guarantees their authenticity without further cross-checking and so that is the route I will be taking just to feel most secure in the future. :grimacing: (I am paranoid about software security)

Could not be more delighted with the acoustic performance of the SP1000 I have to say; the magnitude of the improvement over my older AK320 was totally unexpected and very welcome...

Again, I appreciate the trouble you have taken to share your experience.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #6,561 of 9,406
@JasonNYC
Hi Jason,
I've just received my SP1000m Gold which was rather difficult to find in Europe to discover when turning it on that there is one (not sure if it's only one, see picture below) dead pixel in the middle of the screen :frowning2:
To be honest that's very disappointing.
Would it be possible for A&K to change the unit ?
Thanks for your help and advice!

AKpixel.jpg

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #6,562 of 9,406
@JasonNYC
Hi Jason,
I've just received my SP1000m Gold which was rather difficult to find in Europe to discover when turning it on that there is one (not sure if it's only one, see picture below) dead pixel in the middle of the screen :frowning2:
To be honest that's very disappointing.
Would it be possible for A&K to change the unit ?
Thanks for your help and advice!

AKpixel.jpg

I sent you a PM with some more info.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 11, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6,563 of 9,406
I've had this player for just over a month and I know money does not equal quality all the time but in this case it really does. It just sounds so much better than my dx220 and lotoo paw gold touch i used to own. Incredible euphoric sound.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #6,564 of 9,406
I've had this player for just over a month and I know money does not equal quality all the time but in this case it really does. It just sounds so much better than my dx220 and lotoo paw gold touch i used to own. Incredible euphoric sound.

After teething troubles with a defective first unit (immediately replaced by the distributor), my SP1000 has performed flawlessly. I had ponied up the cash for the ability to stream and store offline Master quality material from Tidal and would have been happy with that as an extra capability relative to my old AK320. But as I have noted in a previous post and echoing your own experience, I have been blown away by the jump in the quality of the stereo imagery with my Noble Encore CIEMS. I thought they were fine on the AK320 - but lacked the crisp imagery and clear top and bottom end of my main stereo system; in short a bit "closed" in terms of imagery. I put this down to the nature of CIEMs. But the SP1000 transforms the performance of the Encores, delivering everything I had originally expected from their not inconsiderable investment. What a bonus! (Well, it did cost a lot...:ksc75smile:)

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #6,565 of 9,406
After teething troubles with a defective first unit (immediately replaced by the distributor), my SP1000 has performed flawlessly. I had ponied up the cash for the ability to stream and store offline Master quality material from Tidal and would have been happy with that as an extra capability relative to my old AK320. But as I have noted in a previous post and echoing your own experience, I have been blown away by the jump in the quality of the stereo imagery with my Noble Encore CIEMS. I thought they were fine on the AK320 - but lacked the crisp imagery and clear top and bottom end of my main stereo system; in short a bit "closed" in terms of imagery. I put this down to the nature of CIEMs. But the SP1000 transforms the performance of the Encores, delivering everything I had originally expected from their not inconsiderable investment. What a bonus! (Well, it did cost a lot...:ksc75smile:)

I couldn't agree with you more. I still have my old ak300. The sp1000 is much better in regards to imaging, soundstage and resolution with both my Khan and Solaris. The ak300 is great for use with my car stereo though.

What are you using in your main stereo system?

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #6,566 of 9,406
I have the AK CD ripper MK II which i use with the SP1000 and uses the Gracenote to retrieve the information for the cd off the Net. The trouble is about only half the time it gets the info with album cover etc. I understand that you will not get info for all albums, but is there a work around to improve to getting the full information ? Even cd's that were produced in 2019 it's not getting the info.

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #6,568 of 9,406
The time and labor involved in production of the gold is much more intensive than the aluminum SP1000M or Copper/Stainless SP1000 as brass is a soft metal and difficult to work with and the gold plating process is also a long process. We may do another run at some point if there is significant interest, but no plans at the moment.

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #6,569 of 9,406
The time and labor involved in production of the gold is much more intensive than the aluminum SP1000M or Copper/Stainless SP1000 as brass is a soft metal and difficult to work with and the gold plating process is also a long process. We may do another run at some point if there is significant interest, but no plans at the moment.

Jason,

Is the SP1000M gold back in production and available in UK and Europe?

The website has removed the out of production note.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back