New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 28, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #6,541 of 9,406
It does seem to get better and better. What iems or headphones do you use with yours?
Cosmic Ears CE6P with 8W copper cable, balanced, and Shure KSE1200 SE.

May 28, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #6,542 of 9,406
I know what you are talking about and as I said, you need to reinstall the extra Tidal via the same process as the initial install. Check the version on your app, then check the version on APKpure. If you need to update, then go through the download / drag and drop process with the DAP connected to your computer.

It’s a pain in the backside, but we were all pre-warned and at least we get Tidal offline etc at last.

@Samuel777 just wanted to close this off: I needed to upgrade the FW on my manual install Tidal, so went to APKpure.com or whatever it is, and searched for Tidal. Then downloaded the latest Tidal (and Spotify), connected SP1000 to laptop (USB to USB-C in my case) and dragged the downloads into the Android app (the green robot). Then unplugged the DAP and went to ‘Services’ and followed the install instructions. No need to restart the DAP.

I noticed that the old versions of Tidal and Spotify were still on the DAP, so I reconnected it to my laptop, opened the ‘green robot’ to see them, and dragged the old versions of Tidal and Spotify into the trash on my computer.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #6,546 of 9,406
I just acquired the SP1000 to get access to the Tidal offline and MASTER capabilities. (Have an AK320) Sadly when I installed Tidal 2.12.2 APK WiFi stopped working after about an hour. Tried factory reset and clearing the machine nothing seemed to work to get it going again. Then a couple of hours later it decided to start working again. Reinstalled Tidal APK and worked fined with offline mode again. For about 3 hours then just stopped randomly. Deleted app and now faffing about seeing what combination of actions might get WiFi going again. I know A&K says they do not provide any warranty that the APK sideloads will actually work but this is really ridiculous.

Anybody else with a similar problem? Or can perhaps suggest an APK version which is stable for them and which I might try - once I somehow randomly get the WiFi running again. (Presuming I do!). Really do not want to reload all the audio files after another factory reset (which did not actually help first time I did it)

Any ideas appreciated

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #6,547 of 9,406
I'm trying to decide if I want an SP2000 Copper or SS should I happen to sell my SP1000SS. The SP1000SS is wonderful, but I think the combination of my IEM and cable is making it a tad bit too bright. Does the copper sound good with music like heavy metal?

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #6,548 of 9,406
I'm trying to decide if I want an SP2000 Copper or SS should I happen to sell my SP1000SS. The SP1000SS is wonderful, but I think the combination of my IEM and cable is making it a tad bit too bright. Does the copper sound good with music like heavy metal?

Yes it does! Bass of the SP2000 is tighter und has more punch compared to the SP1000. Go for the copper version in your case.

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #6,550 of 9,406
I just acquired the SP1000 to get access to the Tidal offline and MASTER capabilities. (Have an AK320) Sadly when I installed Tidal 2.12.2 APK WiFi stopped working after about an hour. Tried factory reset and clearing the machine nothing seemed to work to get it going again. Then a couple of hours later it decided to start working again. Reinstalled Tidal APK and worked fined with offline mode again. For about 3 hours then just stopped randomly. Deleted app and now faffing about seeing what combination of actions might get WiFi going again. I know A&K says they do not provide any warranty that the APK sideloads will actually work but this is really ridiculous.

Anybody else with a similar problem? Or can perhaps suggest an APK version which is stable for them and which I might try - once I somehow randomly get the WiFi running again. (Presuming I do!). Really do not want to reload all the audio files after another factory reset (which did not actually help first time I did it)

Any ideas appreciated

Is the problem with WiFi or the Tidal App from OpenAPK? If it is a WiFi connection issue (the little icon shows no signal strength), then it has nothing to do with the Tidal App and has been discussed before. Try searching this thread for WiFi to see some things to try. If WiFi has a strong signal and you are getting Network errors in the Tidal App, it could be many things from the Tidal Servers through your ISP to your home WiFi router. It is possible to loose connection to the Internet and still have a strong WiFi signal. My SP1000 does have brief dropouts where the track stops playing, but by the time I pick the player up it will work again. You need to try and isolate the problem. If it stops with the OpenAPK app, will it work with the Native Tidal app? When it happens do other devices on your home network still connect via WiFi to the Internet?

I do not really use the OpenAPK Tidal app to stream music. If I want to stream I use the Astell & Kern provided Tidal app. I do use the OpenAPK Tidal app to download tracks, albums and playlists to my SP1000 and then listen to the downloaded versions.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #6,552 of 9,406
Is the problem with WiFi or the Tidal App from OpenAPK? If it is a WiFi connection issue (the little icon shows no signal strength), then it has nothing to do with the Tidal App and has been discussed before. Try searching this thread for WiFi to see some things to try. If WiFi has a strong signal and you are getting Network errors in the Tidal App, it could be many things from the Tidal Servers through your ISP to your home WiFi router. It is possible to loose connection to the Internet and still have a strong WiFi signal. My SP1000 does have brief dropouts where the track stops playing, but by the time I pick the player up it will work again. You need to try and isolate the problem. If it stops with the OpenAPK app, will it work with the Native Tidal app? When it happens do other devices on your home network still connect via WiFi to the Internet?

I do not really use the OpenAPK Tidal app to stream music. If I want to stream I use the Astell & Kern provided Tidal app. I do use the OpenAPK Tidal app to download tracks, albums and playlists to my SP1000 and then listen to the downloaded versions.

I may have been unclear, when I said the WiFi stopped working I mean it became completely non-functional and could not be turned on or off. The same for bluetooth. i.e. the entire wireless capability is effectively "dead". The first time this happened I did a factory reset and while that did not work immediately, when I came back at the end of the day, the wireless capability came back "on-line". Thinking this just a glitch I reloaded Tidal APK 2.12.2 it worked fine again for a day - and then disabled the wireless capabilities again. Since then I have had no luck with all manner of resets and running down the battery as far as it will go to see if I can get the hardware to do a full reset. (The system is however smart enough to not let the battery run down this far so that's not working!) The problem I think is that the RF section has received a command from the APK version which has shut it down in a way that the main A&K system cannot reset.

So in a partial sense the Tidal APK version has "bricked" my SP1000. Not happy at all. Have requested help from A&K and will see what they suggest. At this point I could not load a new version of the firmware because there is no WiFi. I realise there is a boot loader which can load it from an SD, but until there is a "fix" for this I suspect it is in the lap of the Gods as to whether the SP1000 spontaneously resets the WiFi module, as it did once, or not...

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #6,553 of 9,406
I may have been unclear, when I said the WiFi stopped working I mean it became completely non-functional and could not be turned on or off. The same for bluetooth. i.e. the entire wireless capability is effectively "dead". The first time this happened I did a factory reset and while that did not work immediately, when I came back at the end of the day, the wireless capability came back "on-line". Thinking this just a glitch I reloaded Tidal APK 2.12.2 it worked fine again for a day - and then disabled the wireless capabilities again. Since then I have had no luck with all manner of resets and running down the battery as far as it will go to see if I can get the hardware to do a full reset. (The system is however smart enough to not let the battery run down this far so that's not working!) The problem I think is that the RF section has received a command from the APK version which has shut it down in a way that the main A&K system cannot reset.

So in a partial sense the Tidal APK version has "bricked" my SP1000. Not happy at all. Have requested help from A&K and will see what they suggest. At this point I could not load a new version of the firmware because there is no WiFi. I realise there is a boot loader which can load it from an SD, but until there is a "fix" for this I suspect it is in the lap of the Gods as to whether the SP1000 spontaneously resets the WiFi module, as it did once, or not...

Can I ask a specific question of the forum - is ANYONE already using the Tidal APK version 2.12.2 without problems? If so, maybe my new SP1000 also has a hardware problem...

Alternatively, if you are not using that version, perhaps this is a warning to avoid it?!

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #6,554 of 9,406

I hope you find a solution to your problem. Good luck.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #6,555 of 9,406
Can I ask a specific question of the forum - is ANYONE already using the Tidal APK version 2.12.2 without problems? If so, maybe my new SP1000 also has a hardware problem...

Alternatively, if you are not using that version, perhaps this is a warning to avoid it?!

I have been using the current Tidal version since it was released with no issues... sounds like it may be a hardware issue for you. Have you tried downloading another APK app like Qobuz or Spotify? Just to see if you get the same issue...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back