New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 11, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #6,242 of 9,409
Have you tried feeding it through i2s? It makes a difference.
I am using Audioquest Coffee HDMI connected through i2s port.
CD transport i2s out to Termi i2s in.
I used Coax before this, I must say i2s is better in terms of cleaner, I think.
Used 1Z with dock out with USB to Termi : not as clean and detailing as CD transport i2s out to termi.
Sometimes, I need to compare i2s and coax again, through Utopia hp and 2 channel setup downstairs with Magnepsn 3.7i speakers.

May 11, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #6,243 of 9,409
I am using Audioquest Coffee HDMI connected through i2s port.
CD transport i2s out to Termi i2s in.
I used Coax before this, I must say i2s is better in terms of cleaner, I think.
Used 1Z with dock out with USB to Termi : not as clean and detailing as CD transport i2s out to termi.
Sometimes, I need to compare i2s and coax again, through Utopia hp and 2 channel setup downstairs with Magnepsn 3.7i speakers.
I am using coffee hdmi also.
MBP or AK SP1000> Singxer SU6> Terminator.
Like it very much.

May 11, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #6,246 of 9,409
No, the different amps will not change the sound signature. Please see Jason‘s post.

All depends on design implementation. Here you will be replacing internal opamps and filter caps with external ones inside of that SPK Amp module. There are other DAP designs with modular amps specifically for the purpose to change the sound coloring and soundstage expansion. Or you could just boost the output power and do it transparently.

Knowing how A&K is particular about their sound tuning, I wouldn't be surprised they will go for the latter one, but the only way to find out is through a/b comparison after a proper burn in :wink:

May 11, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #6,247 of 9,409
All depends on design implementation. Here you will be replacing internal opamps and filter caps with external ones inside of that SPK Amp module. There are other DAP designs with modular amps specifically for the purpose to change the sound coloring and soundstage expansion. Or you could just boost the output power and do it transparently.

Knowing how A&K is particular about their sound tuning, I wouldn't be surprised they will go for the latter one, but the only way to find out is through a/b comparison after a proper burn in :wink:
You’re right. I was talking about different sound signatures of copper etc.

May 11, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #6,249 of 9,409
I am still torn between getting the amp or upgrading to SP2000. Honestly I rarely use full size cans these days and the SP1000 is only used when I travel by air. SP1000Cu and Tia Fourte is still the best non-speaker setup sound I have ever heard, in some songs I feel that the combo is beating my full size can setup and is approaching the level of my previous BHSE-SR009 combo (but with bass).

Man, I just saw the SP2000. Do you know if there is going to be an upgrade program for people with the SP1000?

May 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #6,251 of 9,409
...Do you know if there is going to be an upgrade program for people with the SP1000?
That made me laugh. Thanks for that.
:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #6,253 of 9,409
Man, I just saw the SP2000. Do you know if there is going to be an upgrade program for people with the SP1000?
Yes, it's called head-fi For Sale forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back