New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #5,626 of 9,406
Our players will support up to 2TB cards as long as the cards follow the current microSD card standards. The new 1TB cards announced should work without issue. We recommend formatting all cards as FAT32 for best results.

Thanks!

Oh, can I just insert the card in that DAP and format it that way?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #5,627 of 9,406
The reason other DAPs (N8, LPGT, etc) include BT Rx mode because they don't have native streaming and need to be paired up with a smartphone to "run" apps. The latest batch of A&K DAPs, and their fw updates, allow apk sideloading so you can run streaming apps right from your DAP. Kind of defeats the purpose of BT Rx mode since it will be redundant to pair up A&K with your smatphone, unless if you want to run some blacklisted app which can't be sideloaded.
Thanks.

My situation is that I travel to work on the London underground. Sometimes I want to watch a movie etc on the phone without having it directly connected to the DAP/headphones as the tube gets very busy and lots of cables are a real pain.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #5,628 of 9,406
My SP1000 CU isn't reliably shutting down after 30 minutes of inactivity. Under the below settings I assume the device should automatically shutdown after the music has stopped playing and 30 minutes has lapsed. Does anyone have advice? I'm running the latest 1.17cm version.

Timer settings
Auto Power off-30 minutes
Screen timeout-1 minute
Sleep Timer-Always turn on

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #5,630 of 9,406
My player is overheating. It won’t turn on yet the battery is very hot. I was on the metro going home listening to music when it became too hot to hold. I turned it off and it stayed hot. Now I’m at home, the player of off and won’t turn on but it’s still getting hotter. What can I do?
Unfortunately, it sounds like it will need to be sent into your local service center to be checked out and serviced. I will PM you for more info.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #5,631 of 9,406
Roon is here! LOL but it works
0F2DF179-D5FB-454E-82C7-D7176B3BF150.jpeg

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #5,632 of 9,406
With such a small collection of DSD music in the genre that I mostly enjoy. I purchased a Sony PSH-X500 turntable, this allows me to rip vinyl to DSD and play them back accordingly. The internal A/D converter supports native conversion from analog to DSD 2.8 MHz or 5.6 MHz digital.
The vinyl versions of the music in comparison do sound different, better to my ears, and I wanted to persevere those difference via DSD. I have been ripping all the new Rush re-issues from 2015 remastered. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Like anything in this hobby, it's a labor of love. I am having fun listening to them on my SP1000 stainless, converted and enjoy the difference I hear, its there

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #5,633 of 9,406
The battery in my SPK is very hot.

I was on the metro and it started getting too hot to hold. Now it’s off but he battery is still very hot. If I try Turing it on I see the low battery icon.
I just got but it won’t charge, turn on, and my PC can’t see it when plugged in. How do I reset or what can I do so the player doesn’t melt?
I had the same problem with my SPKCu last year.. sent it to A&K (through my dealer) and they replaced the power management IC.
The whole process was quite fast although the unit had to be shipped to South Korea.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #5,634 of 9,406
My SP1000 CU isn't reliably shutting down after 30 minutes of inactivity. Under the below settings I assume the device should automatically shutdown after the music has stopped playing and 30 minutes has lapsed. Does anyone have advice? I'm running the latest 1.17cm version.

Timer settings
Auto Power off-30 minutes
Screen timeout-1 minute
Sleep Timer-Always turn on
I’m not sure but it seems like you should turn off that sleep timer

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #5,636 of 9,406
I use "Exclusive", "Integer", and "DoP" settings on both Audirvana and Roon. On SPK side, I always set to DoP. This setting affects only incoming DSD signal, nothing to do with PCM. If you choose PCM option, DSD signal will be converted to PCM on SPK.
Discussion about DSD vs PCM is off topic and controversial.

I also have another question: When I enable MQA on the SP1000SS in the USB settings, my Audivarna shows "No MQA device detected" , any idea why that is?

Also, when you say you enable DoP settings in Audivarna, are you referring to the native DSD compatibility, and are you setting it to DSD over PCM 1.1?

Finally, do you prefer Roon over Audivarna? I hear people tend to prefer it.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #5,638 of 9,406
I also have another question: When I enable MQA on the SP1000SS in the USB settings, my Audivarna shows "No MQA device detected" , any idea why that is?

Also, when you say you enable DoP settings in Audivarna, are you referring to the native DSD compatibility, and are you setting it to DSD over PCM 1.1?

SP1000 is not a MQA renderer (when used as external USB DAC), that is why Audirvana shows "No MQA device detected". It means SP1000 cannot fully unfold MQA encoded file.
You can play with MQA Renderer/Decoder setting. The first unfold will be done by software - Audirvana, but SP1000 cannot unfold the file to its original.

I think SP1000 can fully unfold the MQA encoded file if you have it stored on the device (I am not sure about Tidal streaming MQA file) - correct me if I am wrong.

See my screenshot below:
Original file is 24bit 352.8kHz (see top right corner)
On the left top corner you can see that Audirvana unfold it to 24bit 88.2kHz (Audirvana did first unfold, SP1000 cannot unfold it to original 24/352.8)
Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 22.13.08.png

Regarding second question - yes DoP settings are related with Native DSD Capability. I have got it set to DSD over PCM standard 1.1.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #5,639 of 9,406
SP1000 is not a MQA renderer (when used as external USB DAC), that is why Audirvana shows "No MQA device detected". It means SP1000 cannot fully unfold MQA encoded file.
You can play with MQA Renderer/Decoder setting. The first unfold will be done by software - Audirvana, but SP1000 cannot unfold the file to its original.

I think SP1000 can fully unfold the MQA encoded file if you have it stored on the device (I am not sure about Tidal streaming MQA file) - correct me if I am wrong.

See my screenshot below:
On the left top corner you can see that Audirvana unfold it to 24bit 88.2kHz (Audirvana did first unfold, SP1000 cannot unfold it to original 24/352.8)

Regarding second question - yes DoP settings are related with Native DSD Capability. I have got it set to DSD over PCM standard 1.1.
I’ve found if you use a program such as mConnect to stream to SP1000 a Tidal MQA file, then it shows it completely decoded.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #5,640 of 9,406

See my screenshot below:

Awesome man, I really appreciate the help. I know I asked many questions, but i'm somewhat new to the HiFi game, so i'm still learning the ropes. What kind of settings have you found to work well with your device on the Audio Filters page? Do you use any upsampling?

Also, i've been thinking of switching over to Roon. What do you think of Roon compared to Audivarna? I hear many people prefer Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back