New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 18, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #4,231 of 9,409
After FW upgrade I started noticing a glitch on my device.
If the SP1000Cu is turned off when I plug it in for fast charging it shows after a few minutes it is fully charged .. I then turn it on and it shows 100%, but after a few minutes of listening it quickly goes down to the real percentage.
This doesn't happen if I plug it in while the unit is turned on.

Anybody noticed the same glitch?
It happened two times now, let's see if it will happen a third time tomorrow..
Same here . I was about to post the same problem.
@JasonNYC

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #4,232 of 9,409
I don't hear any difference in bass between SP1000 SS and SP1000M. I just did yet another blind test during my lunch break. Using U18t with Leo II cable, balanced, playing the same song, volume matched with SS volume at 60 and M volume at 57 (M is slightly more efficient), and I hear nearly identical lows, mids, and treble, while the only giveaway is a more holographic staging of SS. With a few hours out of the box, M treble was smoother when paired up with U18t and compared to SP1000 SS. Now, I only hear a difference in soundstage. I was able to confirm the same using Andromeda and Mellianus iems. When tested with Mason v3, I do hear its pair up with M to yield a little smoother treble, so perhaps different IEM/headphone pair ups might yield some subtle difference in treble response, but it's not as drastic as I heard it out of the box before burn in. Btw, I have probably close to 160hrs on SP1000M now. Also, keep in mind, I'm comparing SP1000M to SP1000 SS, and not SP1000 CU.
Twister would it be fair then to say SP1000M is the better value player, with better portability? The extra 128GB and 1” larger screen seem like the main selling points of choosing the SP1000 instead.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #4,233 of 9,409
You a
Same here, my SP1000SS was about 8%, a few seconds after I pluged in the charging cable it was at 78% and after that it took the normal time to fully load. But it was in a few seconds from 8% to 78%.
You are not alone.
Mine show incorrect % battery twice, at 7% but shown 3% after plugin and 46% jump to 70%

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #4,234 of 9,409
Twister would it be fair then to say SP1000M is the better value player, with better portability? The extra 128GB and 1” larger screen seem like the main selling points of choosing the SP1000 instead.

Also, SP1000 has optical output for external dac/amp connection, while SPKM doesn't have it. So yeah, for a portable M-obile use :wink: M model is a better choice.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #4,235 of 9,409
I have a curious quality Tidal application both online/offline version on the ak player.

When you search some album you cannot see the duplicate album (Hi-Fi and Master) then you mark fav on those album and see the mark on the desktop application it’s will show this album is Master quality.

Example Coldplay Ghost Stories album.

When play through ak application it will show only Hi-Fi even if this album is Master.

Then I turn on AK connect on mobile set speaker on ak device ,player will show quality Master = 24bit. And Hi-Fi album = 16bit

So, Tidal on ak device cannot decode Master quality because they dont support MQA yet right?

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #4,236 of 9,409
I just spoke to our head of software development. They found out about the battery issue yesterday (Thursday Korea time). They are currently testing a fix and will release a updated firmware once they finish testing.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 19, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #4,238 of 9,409
Can anyone advise the exact settings I need to use to output via usb to a hugo 2? I don't seem to be getting any joy...
Both usb cable and toslink optical cable can be used well.
It is not hard to set a connection. So keep patience :p

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #4,239 of 9,409
Can anyone advise the exact settings I need to use to output via usb to a hugo 2? I don't seem to be getting any joy...

Once you have cable connected make sure to tap the usb button so it can sense the connection.

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #4,241 of 9,409
Does anyone use ZMF Auteur with SP1000? I'm an IEM guy, but I want to find an openback headphone that'll work.
I demoed my SP1000 copper with utopia and was disappointed with the absence of bass, LCD-X lacked clarity, LCD-2 or 3 (I can't remember) sounded pretty good. It was a hifi audio store near me, but I seriously doubt any one of the headphones or cables were broken in. I don't have a way to test the LCD-4 z/x variants yet. I also don't have a way to test auteur, but they were one of my favorites at Canjam RMAF.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,242 of 9,409
Does anyone use ZMF Auteur with SP1000? I'm an IEM guy, but I want to find an openback headphone that'll work.
I demoed my SP1000 copper with utopia and was disappointed with the absence of bass, LCD-X lacked clarity, LCD-2 or 3 (I can't remember) sounded pretty good. It was a hifi audio store near me, but I seriously doubt any one of the headphones or cables were broken in. I don't have a way to test the LCD-4 z/x variants yet. I also don't have a way to test auteur, but they were one of my favorites at Canjam RMAF.

When you were driving Utopia with SPK, did you use SE or BAL outputs? Because considering Utopia's 80ohm impedance and SPK's 2.2Vrms (SE) vs 3.9Vrms (BAL), very roughly speaking BAL output will have 3x as much power.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #4,243 of 9,409
When you were driving Utopia with SPK, did you use SE or BAL outputs? Because considering Utopia's 80ohm impedance and SPK's 2.2Vrms (SE) vs 3.9Vrms (BAL), very roughly speaking BAL output will have 3x as much power.

Power, as you know, is a function of Voltage and Current. Does anyone know what the output Current capability of the SPK is?

Also, The Utopia's impedance curve is far from flat and rises to over 300 Ohm at 50Hz, which is a far cry from the listed impedance of 80 Ohms at 1kHz (click the linked text to see the impedance measurement of the Utopia). Mind you, the higher the impedance then the less Current is required.... Uhg, it gets complicated.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #4,244 of 9,409
It was the 1/4" plug, with an adapter to 3.5. The cable was way too long. I had plenty of volume, just not nearly enough bass.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #4,245 of 9,409
Power, as you know, is a function of Voltage and Current. Does anyone know what the output Current capability of the SPK is?

Also, The Utopia's impedance curve is far from flat and rises to over 300 Ohm at 50Hz, which is a far cry from the listed impedance of 80 Ohms at 1kHz (click the linked text to see the impedance measurement of the Utopia). Mind you, the higher the impedance then the less Current is required.... Uhg, it gets complicated.
Someone tested BAL output has 45mw per channel with impedance 32 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back