New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #1,982 of 9,411
What's wrong with the standard case? Mine is holding up quite well. If it's a matter of esthetics, well then that's a different story. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.
IMO for astell&kern costs : esthetic ans resistance are important, if not a simple cloth could protect the DAP :)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,984 of 9,411
If only ak380cu doesnt get tarnished.. i would have kept it forver.

Does sp1000cu get tarnished also?

Will we see an amp for sp1000?

How is the knob is loose?

I have finally decided to upgrade. But it is going to be final. If sp1000cu get tarnished easily i will go with sp1000ss.

Thanks
Does sp1000cu get tarnished also?
No one knows yet - the oldest Cu units are only 2-3 months old. I think we should give it another few more months before we can report any changes. So far so good, though.

Will we see an amp for sp1000?
Probably. I expect to see an amp soon, in fact. It's just conjecture for now, but I don't think A&K would pass up this opportunity.

How is the knob is loose?
Nope, not at all.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,985 of 9,411
It does.

I agree. Every scratch, scuff, and dent shows some history of my ownership. And they are the proof of protecting the unit itself, which is the purpose of the case. Actually, I like how it looks...

9935827_l.jpg
Scars of war, eh? :wink:

All of my leather cases are like this. They get easily damaged due to knocks, fingerprint marks, and even water stains. With my old AK240, I accidentally held the case while my hand was a little wet, and the moisture marks became camouflage patterns for life.

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,986 of 9,411
With my old AK240, I accidentally held the case while my hand was a little wet, and the moisture marks became camouflage patterns for life.
I did the same with my SP1000Cu. But the moisture marks did not make permanent marks.
From the scars of war perspective, I wish I got some camouflage patterns on it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,987 of 9,411
Okay great. Ak380cu would have been my last dap only if it wasnt really a full time job of care....

I hope sp1000 amp comes with a case also... would really make a lot of senses...

Cant wait to order.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,990 of 9,411
Overheating SP1000Cu

It started overheating while playing a few tracks.. (just a few minutes of playback) so I wanted to turn it off but was completely unable to perform any operation with it. Now the screen is off and the unit is so hot I cannot keep it in my hands.. and I have the feeling it is gettig hotter and hotter.

I suppose nobody had a similar experience.. ? What do I do???!!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,991 of 9,411
Overheating SP1000Cu

It started overheating while playing a few tracks.. (just a few minutes of playback) so I wanted to turn it off but was completely unable to perform any operation with it. Now the screen is off and the unit is so hot I cannot keep it in my hands.. and I have the feeling it is gettig hotter and hotter.

I suppose nobody had a similar experience.. ? What do I do???!!
Take it outside. You don't want the battery to possibly go bad with the unit in the house. Do a long power button press to see if that will shut it down.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,992 of 9,411
Take it outside. You don't want the battery to possibly go bad with the unit in the house. Do a long power button press to see if that will shut it down.
I live in Dubai, outside is warmer than inside. :)

Tried a long button press (7 seconds for a forced shutdown as per AK manual..), the AK logo showed up for a few seconds and than again darkness, but it seems the unit is not getting cooler at all..

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,993 of 9,411
I live in Dubai, outside is warmer than inside. :)

Tried a long button press (7 seconds for a forced shutdown as per AK manual..), the AK logo showed up for a few seconds and than again darkness, but it seems the unit is not getting cooler at all..
The reason I suggested outside is because if there is something wrong with the battery and it ignites, you don't want it inside. I have had this happen and the battery gets extremely hot, burns and smokes a lot. Not with a AK player but with another one. I burnt my fingers taking the player outside as I didn't know it was getting ready to flame.

Try a longer hold for the forced shutdown.

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,994 of 9,411
The reason I suggested outside is because if there is something wrong with the battery and it ignites, you don't want it inside. I have had this happen and the battery gets extremely hot, burns and smokes a lot. Not with a AK player but with another one. I burnt my fingers taking the player outside as I didn't know it was getting ready to flame.

Try a longer hold for the forced shutdown.
Hehe, was just kidding man, thnx for trying to help!

I have a good news and a bad news: my SP1000Cu stopped overheating, most probably because it is dead.
Will pass by my AK dealer tomorrow..

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,995 of 9,411
I have received my AK380SS from repair service form Germany today. (The battery didn't charge). And I'm so happy! It's so much smaller than Ultima, which is closer to having AK380+AMP in my pocket, and so easy to carry around in comparison. But what's more important, it's also more euphonic and smooth, darker, smoother, has fuller mids and... just sounds different. It complements greatly my SP1000 Cu, which is more transparent, airy, clinical and perfect, and obviously a step up in pure SQ, but still I need a second device for a change, from time to time, and was quite unhappy for the two weeks I had only Ultima as a source, nevertheless a perfect one. I also had my Hugo2, but it is quite similar to Ultima, so I felt like having one device only, and AK380SS is really something else.

At the beginning, few months ago I was angry at AK that they introduced a new flagship so quickly after AK380SS, and with a lower price. I was furious. But now I'm happy I didn't sell it. I would even buy it back today, if I did sell it. During these two weeks of AK380SS absence I even almost bought WM1Z to have something else to listen to for a change.

I'm also unhappy that the Cu material is so soft. After dropping Ultima a few times accidentally (from small heights, nothing serious!) I already have a few dents... And SS is indestructible. I regret not buying another SS unit and if anyone would like to switch to an imperfect Cu version with some $ from me for the dents, I'd be happy to.

Some of you asked how well does Shure KSE1500 pair with Ultima. Well, I wrote already: It sounds like PERFECTION, yes, with all caps. It's almost like carrying a closed version of a WELL DRIVEN (!) pair of Stax SR-009. (Note, that SR-009 in A/B comparison is still a better headphone, a competitor to Orpheus if well driven). BUT I do recommend strongly to change the eartips to Comply Comfort (the round ball ones) which make Shure sound much more natural, with a bit less highs. I tested thoroughly many times and Comply win all the time. (Even though they may lose on other headphones! They do complement KSE1500 though). And use multiple-core silver mini-jack interconnect from Lavricables. Don't use the crappy stock one, throw it in your trash bin. With AK380SS, my KSE1500 sound clearly worse, it's not perfection anymore, but it is still a beautiful and satisfying sound. KSE1500 show which one of these devices have an ojectively better DAC on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back