New to quality headphones, tried HD428s, need something different (detailed description inside)
Apr 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

burlak89

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for the wall of text, lol, I just kept writing and writing.

I'm very new to quality headphones, so please be gentle! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I've listened to music for far too long using cheapo earbuds that I've found here and there, never actually bought or spent time looking for a good pair. For several reasons now, I want to get a good pair of circumaural headphones. I've done quite a bit research but it seems I need to do more research into specifications and certain features of headphones. I bought the Sennheiser HD428s from Best Buy on a whim because I've been looking at the HD280Pro but they didn't have them in store. 
My requirements are the following:

- budget of $100 (give or take a bit)
- adequate bass, I love punchy and rumbling bass.. something you can feel in addition to hear. 
- sound must be good / balanced
- preferably detachable cord
- as little outside leakage as possible (I believe this is what closed cans try to do?) and as much noise isolation as possible
  - on this point, they do not HAVE to be noise canceling, but if I can find a pair with noise canceling within my budget, that would be perfect. I tried a pair of Able Planets and while the sound was total and utter crap, I instantly fell in love with the noise cancellation. I've never actually heard what it sounds like in person, and it's damn nice.
- also, collapsible/foldable would be a nice touch.
- and of course, comfortable.

Now, I know I may be asking too much for my budget, but I'm sure there's something out there that will fit this profile! So far, I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD280Pro, HD438, ATH-ANC7b, ATH-M50. Of course, I'd like a pair of Bose QC15's but I have no money for them.

After a couple of days of using the HD428s, these are my thoughts: the sound is pretty flat. The bass is not very good at all. I keep reading they have to be burnt in, but I know there are other models that advertise more bass right off the bat. The phones are kinda quiet. I listen to a lot of different music, and I really do mean quite a variety. This includes quite a bit of classical, alt. rock, hip-hop, r&b, dance, jazz, and a lot of soundtrack music. These headphones did not keep up with the more classical music at all, on the highest volume. I don't want to have to buy an amp when I know the Able Planets were able (no pun intended) to play back classical decently, albeit with NC on. Lastly, I found these headphones to be a little loose on my head. At first they feel very comfortable and right in place, but after a while of having them on, they feel like they don't clamp hard enough, and the ear cups could be a smidge smaller, as they feel they are a little too wide around my ears, but they're still very comfortable. (I've discovered also that my right ear is actually bigger than my left, because both headphones I've tried felt like there wasn't enough space for my right ear!)

Sooo.. any help would really be appreciated, and I hope this information was enough!! I am also open to other brands.

Thank you, audiophiles! :)

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 10
On the first post of this thread there are links to some buying guides.  One of them is this one that marks bass heavy cans with a red "B":

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Check it out and see if shapes what you might seriously consider.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, for a budget of $100 with deep base you might consider:

1. Beyer dt770's (used here for as low as$120)

2. Denon d1100 ($107 shipped from electronic expo) weakest sound signature of these

3. M-audio Q40 ($114 shipped from Amazon) earthquake bass-removable cable

As an economical alternative you could just order a pair of Pan htf-600's for $30 and be amazed at just how good a $30 set can sound :)

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 10
I've come across mentions of those Panasonic ones and seriously considered them. It's interesting that people boast them as being on par with other mid-range headphones but they are the price of low-end ones.. maybe that IS possible! Also, I'm currently listening to a pair of Sony MDR-NC40s, and they sound pretty damn good. My dad bought those to try out. Even though they're pretty uncomfortable for me, and I'm still looking at circumaural ones, but these sound extremely nice. I'm listening to the West Side Story soundtrack from Cinemix - one of my favorite internet radio stations.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 10
The htf-600's do have "mid-fi" sound signature to me. Where they falter is the stock pads. They can be replaced by the beyer velours and you'll get a nice comfortable phone for about $50 but it will sound like $150!!

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 10
That term means middle of the road. I would consider my d2k mid fi. The d7k would be hi fi or upper end...flagship model. I have beyer dt900 that I'd call mid fi and the T1 Beyer would be hi fi...

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 10
So I decided to purchase a set of V-Moda Crossfade LPs, which I got a really good deal for. They sound pretty darn amazing, the sound hardly leaks, and they have a good range - bass is excellent, mids and highs COULD be a bit more prominent, but it's no detraction. I hope they mold to my ears though. I wear glasses, and my left ear really started to ache after a while. Right ear is fine.

I'm also entertaining a pair of Sony MDR-V6, and I'll have the chance to stop by the Sony Store in NYC so I'll check them out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back