New to mac: A few questions!
Jul 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 41
^^ Hey Ozz,

I read up on CCC and it seemed like it would be perfect for my needs. Which is why I didn't read so much about time machine. CCC can make a bootable copy of the drive with all the applications and such, so that later on if I had issues with the drive, I can simply copy the carbon copy back to the internal drive. At least this is what I gathered from my readings. I don tknow if time machine can do that too? Make a bootable copy?

Hey Moocher - yup I just ran a dvd and did some things here and there. I guess that is as stressful as I can make this machine.

Edit: I guess my goal was to preserve the hdd in the state its in, in case something happens to the internal harddrive down the road. I have a lot of programs on my MBP and not all the discs with me, so I wanted to be sure preserve those somehow too. If time machine can do that, I am reading more!

Thanks guys for the advice! Keep them coming! I am still reading about harddrives.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 41
Time Machine keeps your disc the way it is right now. Also, it keeps pictures of your disc from a long time ago - depending on disc size. It comes in really handy for me.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Hey Ozz,

I read up on CCC and it seemed like it would be perfect for my needs. Which is why I didn't read so much about time machine. CCC can make a bootable copy of the drive with all the applications and such, so that later on if I had issues with the drive, I can simply copy the carbon copy back to the internal drive. At least this is what I gathered from my readings. I don tknow if time machine can do that too? Make a bootable copy?

Hey Moocher - yup I just ran a dvd and did some things here and there. I guess that is as stressful as I can make this machine.

Edit: I guess my goal was to preserve the hdd in the state its in, in case something happens to the internal hard-drive down the road. I have a lot of programs on my MBP and not all the discs with me, so I wanted to be sure preserve those somehow too. If time machine can do that, I am reading more!

Thanks guys for the advice! Keep them coming! I am still reading about harddrives.

I could be wrong but I think you have to use the start up dvd in combination
with time machine to be bootable as usual if I'm wrong someone will correct
me.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #19 of 41
You do have to use the startup dvd, but you don't have to reinstall or anything. It is extremely fast and, when I was unable to open any of my CCC backups, it proved invaluable.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #20 of 41
I just picked up one of these:
Untitled-5.jpg

Great unit. Quad system (USB2, eSata, FW400/800) very quiet, looks nice and is very solid. Also comes with enough cables to cover the cost of the case alone! I then picked up my own drive (Seagate 1TB).

I prefer to "roll my own" but if I were going with something complete I would go with:
G-Drive-3-4.jpg

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do have to use the startup dvd, but you don't have to reinstall or anything. It is extremely fast and, when I was unable to open any of my CCC backups, it proved invaluable.

eek.gif

Why couldn't you open your CCC backup? That seriously scares me.

Hmm I think I will look into time machine then. As long as my programs are preserved, that would be just great!

Zanth!! That is a really nice case!! I will defintely look into combining case and hdd if there were more enclosures that look like that. And I think as many ports as possible would be a good idea haha. Those cases look ideal.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #22 of 41
^^^ Don't know. They just wouldn't mount as a bootable drive. I could get the data, just no boot.

Here is how I had it > External Drive w/ one backup CCC as bootable > 10 disc images on same drive.

The external wouldn't boot the backup.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 41
Buy a Western Digital My Book Premium Edition II, 2TB. Run it in RAID 1 mode so you've got 1TB and a redundant drive. Connect via FW800.

Now you've got a fast HDD with a redundant copy, and easily swappable drives should anything go wrong.

For bootable disk image backups, I use SuperDuper!.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Don't know. They just wouldn't mount as a bootable drive. I could get the data, just no boot.

Here is how I had it > External Drive w/ one backup CCC as bootable > 10 disc images on same drive.

The external wouldn't boot the backup.

It's probably because of the partition map I mentioned before. Don't be afraid of CCC. It does its' job well from what I've heard. I use SuperDuper for the clean UI and added flexibility but that's shareware.

Time machine is great for versioned backups but it does not produce clones.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A semi decent eSata card would cost about 30 bucks so you may be able to save on an enclosure with usb fw400 and esata and use esata for speed when you need it and can have the card and FW400 other times.

Newegg.com - SATAII ExpressCard, Laptop Add-on Cards, Laptops & Accessories, PCs & Laptops

Any of the cards that are only one port wide (or two ports stacked on top of eachother like = not like --) should work fine in your macbook pro.

The last time I checked, a lot of these cards either had flakey leopard drivers or they didn't exist at all. Some of the more expensive ones the actually develop for Mac OS may be a safer bet but I'm not so sure now. It's been about 6 months since I checked.

Do you own one of the cheaper cards and does it run on Leopard? I would pick-up one myself.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Hey guys!

I am pretty noobish when it comes to the capabilities of apple computers, so I have a few questions...I hope you guys can help! I tried posting this in the appropriate mac forums, but they are truly disappointing. No one gives more unbiased and knowledgable advice than head-fiers!

Anyway, just a few questions:
1. I got my macbook pro used but in minty condition. I want to run some stress tests on it to make sure everything is working as beautifully as the outside reflects. Are there are any stress tests your reccommend? I don't have the protection plan yet so no tech tools for me. What do you guys suggest?

2. Do you guys have reccomendations for external harddrives? I don't plan on running time machine, but want to partition it to have one for carbon copy cloner, and the other partition for music and media. The drive won't just be a back up but will be actively accessed regularly/daily for these files (because my hdd is a small 120gb for my data). I want something in the 500gb-750gb area, and something pretty to round out my desktop.

3. How the heck do I uninstall programs permanently?!

Thanks guys. I know you will come through for this confused noob!

Fine, you got it used. What you must do, however, is call 1-800-MY-APPLE, tell them you want to get the Apple Care Plan. It costs $249 for the first 3 years from the date of purchase. Even if it is used, Apple will be able to tell by the serial number when it was first purchased, and the 3 year warranty will start from that date. Even if there is only 2 years left on the warranty, you must get it. For instance, I am new to Mac also. With the Apple Care Plan I can call technical support as many times as I want, for as long as I want for the full term of the warranty. I had problems with ripping from iTunes onto an external hard drive, and Apple was on the phone with me sometimes 6 hours a day. It is free and covered under the plan. Otherwise, Apple will charge you $49 for every issue you have. Plus, with the warranty, if tech support cannot fix it, you can make an appointment with the Genius bar and they will help you. Furthermore, I had a problem with my screen. Somehow moisture got trapped inside and burnt out a few pixels. Apple delivered a box to my house, I packed it up right in front of the DHL carrier and he whisked it away. I kid you not, a day and a half later, I got my computer back with a new screen free of charge. Otherwise it would have been a $600 repair. Number 1 priority; get the Apple Care Plan.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fine, you got it used. What you must do, however, is call 1-800-MY-APPLE, tell them you want to get the Apple Care Plan. It costs $249 for the first 3 years from the date of purchase. Even if it is used, Apple will be able to tell by the serial number when it was first purchased, and the 3 year warranty will start from that date. Even if there is only 2 years left on the warranty, you must get it. For instance, I am new to Mac also. With the Apple Care Plan I can call technical support as many times as I want, for as long as I want for the full term of the warranty. I had problems with ripping from iTunes onto an external hard drive, and Apple was on the phone with me sometimes 6 hours a day. It is free and covered under the plan. Otherwise, Apple will charge you $49 for every issue you have. Plus, with the warranty, if tech support cannot fix it, you can make an appointment with the Genius bar and they will help you. Furthermore, I had a problem with my screen. Somehow moisture got trapped inside and burnt out a few pixels. Apple delivered a box to my house, I packed it up right in front of the DHL carrier and he whisked it away. I kid you not, a day and a half later, I got my computer back with a new screen free of charge. Otherwise it would have been a $600 repair. Number 1 priority; get the Apple Care Plan.

I second that their customer care is second to none they already replaced
my battery once and helped me with a wireless printer issue.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a Western Digital My Book Premium Edition II, 2TB. Run it in RAID 1 mode so you've got 1TB and a redundant drive. Connect via FW800.

Now you've got a fast HDD with a redundant copy, and easily swappable drives should anything go wrong.

For bootable disk image backups, I use SuperDuper!.

2TB seems way huge for me haha. I fill about 250-270gb of data media wise at most, so after much consideration I think 500gb will have to do (don't have money after the MBP purchase haha). I heard good things about LaCie, so this drive seems like a good price, and has all the connections I could want.

So after all your helpful advice guys, I think the LaCie 500gb should do it, split into a 120gb (for CCC formated to HFS+ GUID?) and the remaining ~380gb formatted to Fat32 (with all my media files - I have a windows machine too, but not files over 32gb so I hope this works). Any advice against that plan?

As for time machine, I am still not sure if it will back up my applications as well, but I will take you guys's word for it. Will definitely scour the web to see if it is possible in the same regard as CCC.

@davidhunternyc: of course. I plan to get the Apple protection plan. But I just got this MBP and want to be sure everything is a-okay before I invest more money into it. Does that make sense? The complimentary year long care plan they give you when you first purchase the computer still allows you to call Apple for problems right? I certainly do know that the protection plan is a very good investment, especially after all the research I have done about the MBP.

Again, I just want to express my thanks to you guys. I learned a lot from your posts. Head-fi always comes through.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

2TB seems way huge for me haha. I fill about 250-270gb of data media wise at most, so after much consideration I think 500gb will have to do (don't have money after the MBP purchase haha). I heard good things about LaCie, so this drive seems like a good price, and has all the connections I could want.

So after all your helpful advice guys, I think the LaCie 500gb should do it, split into a 120gb (for CCC formated to HFS+ GUID?) and the remaining ~380gb formatted to Fat32 (with all my media files - I have a windows machine too, but not files over 32gb so I hope this works). Any advice against that plan?

As for time machine, I am still not sure if it will back up my applications as well, but I will take you guys's word for it. Will definitely scour the web to see if it is possible in the same regard as CCC.

@davidhunternyc: of course. I plan to get the Apple protection plan. But I just got this MBP and want to be sure everything is a-okay before I invest more money into it. Does that make sense? The complimentary year long care plan they give you when you first purchase the computer still allows you to call Apple for problems right? I certainly do know that the protection plan is a very good investment, especially after all the research I have done about the MBP.

Again, I just want to express my thanks to you guys. I learned a lot from your posts. Head-fi always comes through.

One year coverage is not enough. These machines are a lot more fragile and temperamental than what you think they would be. I do not know if the original 1 year warranty from the proof of purchase date will cover calling a technician or not. One way to find out is to call 1-800-MY-APPLE tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back