New to mac: A few questions!
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One year coverage is not enough. These machines are a lot more fragile and temperamental than what you think they would be. I do not know if the original 1 year warranty from the proof of purchase date will cover calling a technician or not. One way to find out is to call 1-800-MY-APPLE tomorrow!

I don't know if you understand. I just just just got this machine from ebay, and wanted to test it. What if there is something detrimentally wrong with it? I would need to test it to find out, so that if there is a problem, I would return it to the seller right? What if I bought apple care for it, and turns out something was wrong that wasn't covered by apple care. Not very smart to me to jump the gun on a used machine.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #33 of 41
time machine can restore your hd after a crash. just boot from the osc disc and go to utilities - restore system from backup. that's it. it's really easy.

get a fw400 or esata drive, i wouldn't bother with fw800 unless you're going to be doing some serious data transferring. by using it everyday doesn't mean serious data transferring. using it as a scratch disk for video editing would be serious data transferring.

i have all my music and movies on a fw400 drive and it's plenty fast.

also like everyone else said... appzapper. yeah it's not free but if you want to be able to uninstall programs super easily then that's what you have to pay.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you understand. I just just just got this machine from ebay, and wanted to test it. What if there is something detrimentally wrong with it? I would need to test it to find out, so that if there is a problem, I would return it to the seller right? What if I bought apple care for it, and turns out something was wrong that wasn't covered by apple care. Not very smart to me to jump the gun on a used machine.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oh now I understand. O.K. You still have to call 1-800-MY-APPLE tomorrow. Do "NOT" tell them you bought it off of ebay. They will ask you for the serial number. You can find this by clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner, then click on; "about this Mac", then click on; "get more info". When you talk to the customer service person about this computer, you will be able to find out when and if it has ever been sent in for repairs, when it was purchased, and who purchased it. Something you will need to know considering the person from ebay may not be the original purchaser. Also, if there have been any problems, you will know what they are. In addition, if the computer is still covered under the initial 1st year warranty, you should be able to make an appointment over the phone so you can take it to a Genius bar and they can run through your computer, clean it out, and find any faults. Once the computer is clean, you can then get Apple Care. You will need it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh now I understand. O.K. You still have to call 1-800-MY-APPLE tomorrow. Do "NOT" tell them you bought it off of ebay. They will ask you for the serial number. You can find this by clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner, then click on; "about this Mac", then click on; "get more info". When you talk to the customer service person about this computer, you will be able to find out when and if it has ever been sent in for repairs, when it was purchased, and who purchased it. Something you will need to know considering the person from ebay may not be the original purchaser. Also, if there have been any problems, you will know what they are. In addition, if the computer is still covered under the initial 1st year warranty, you should be able to make an appointment over the phone so you can take it to a Genius bar and they can run through your computer, clean it out, and find any faults. Once the computer is clean, you can then get Apple Care. You will need it.

haha, although I say I am a noob..I am not THAT much of a noob. This is my third apple computer (powerbook 12" G4, macbook CD). I know how to deal with apple support in the transferring of apple care department. But thanks for the extra tidbits (the genius bar thing - I will probably do that soon).

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #37 of 41
^^ Haha thanks. My noobness is really just in the capabilities of OSX, programs and you know, possibilities and such. I really appreciate the advice though. Apple Protection Plan is indeed and imperative, and I hope to hit up the genius bar soon.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #38 of 41
I may be paranoid, but I use time machine, CCC, and I put my data on dvds for off-site storage. Of course, I've been using computers for a long long time and crashes happen.

Mooch

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be paranoid, but I use time machine, CCC, and I put my data on dvds for off-site storage. Of course, I've been using computers for a long long time and crashes happen.

Mooch

Sounds like you will not lose your data to me.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a fw400 or esata drive, i wouldn't bother with fw800 unless you're going to be doing some serious data transferring. by using it everyday doesn't mean serious data transferring. using it as a scratch disk for video editing would be serious data transferring.

And 640KB of RAM is enough for anyone right? Seriously...when an enclosure with FW800 is available and not for much more money, why would anyone NOT want faster. Faster is better ALWAYS when it comes to computing. I use my drive to transfer terabytes of data back and forth between computers which are not hooked up to my network. FW800 = twice the speed at least (since FW400 never gets the top speeds nor does 800 but 800's throughput is more consistently approximate to its target than 400). If I had an eSATA pcmcia card I'd use eSATA instead of 800 but for now, 800 it is!

Quote:

i have all my music and movies on a fw400 drive and it's plenty fast.

Again, anecdotal. What works for you is good, no doubt, but certainly is not necessarily a sure fire win for anyone else. In my mind, locking in at 400/USB2-like speeds is like watching paint dry. 800 is still horribly slow for my needs but then again, it's better than anything but eSATA at the moment. Since modern MACs have 800 built in anyway, the 20 bucks extra one needs for 800 makes the decision to myself and many others as a clear no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back