New to IEMs - Need Advice - Budget $1300
May 5, 2021 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

squeakez

100+ Head-Fier
I have been into headphones since I joined Head-fi 10 years ago. I know nothing about iems. I have been having jaw problems and my over-ears are irritating my jaw so I thought I would get some iems. I listen primarily to EDM - Afrobeats, House, Electro, Trance. I love deep, rumbly subbass and forward mids with some sparkle in the highs. I am also a huge fan of excellent imaging. I had thought the IER-Z1R would work but would love to hear some suggestions from those that are familiar with all things iem. Thanks for any help you can give.

May 7, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 20
My honest advice? Start with trying out with a few cheaper IEMs from various makers. If you don't know what you like, spending over a grand on a single purchase won't really tell you a lot about what you need or prefer, unless you happen to pick the perfect IEM for your taste, since it's only one sound/fit.

May 7, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 20
Pretty obscure, but my current personal favorite is the AAW x TCA Project 4+2. ~$750. Dual dynamic drivers in an isobaric setup for the low end (with swappable bass tuning modules) 3 FIBAE BA drivers handling the mids and highs, and a single NOVA BA for the top. Smooth, neutral to bass heavy depending on the module and tips used, great for your genres and just all around.

May 7, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 20
Pretty obscure, but my current personal favorite is the AAW x TCA Project 4+2. ~$750. Dual dynamic drivers in an isobaric setup for the low end (with swappable bass tuning modules) 3 FIBAE BA drivers handling the mids and highs, and a single NOVA BA for the top. Smooth, neutral to bass heavy depending on the module and tips used, great for your genres and just all around.
They sound very interesting! I am going to check them out. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

May 8, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 20
I listen primarily to EDM - Afrobeats, House, Electro, Trance. I love deep, rumbly subbass and forward mids with some sparkle in the highs.
I don’t think you can go wrong with the Sony IER-Z1R or ThieAudio Monarch. If you want massive bass, consider the Empire Ears Bravado Mk.2. If you want a custom IEM, consider the Ultimate Ears UE6 or Bravado 2.

Since you‘re new to IEMs, before buying any expensive items, I would go ahead and buy the KZ ZAX now. It is available on Amazon (so easy returns if needed). It‘s quite an amazing introductory IEM, that would fit your music tastes really well. It may be hard to believe, but it may be all the IEM you need.

May 8, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 20
My honest advice? Start with trying out with a few cheaper IEMs from various makers. If you don't know what you like, spending over a grand on a single purchase won't really tell you a lot about what you need or prefer, unless you happen to pick the perfect IEM for your taste, since it's only one sound/fit.
I agree with this...you hafta figure out if you can stand IEMs in your ears. There are many who cannot. One of my best friends, due to his eczema, cannot have IEMs in for long due to the irritation. So get a cheap pair, and see if you like em.

May 8, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 20
I don’t think you can go wrong with the Sony IER-Z1R or ThieAudio Monarch. If you want massive bass, consider the Empire Ears Bravado Mk.2. If you want a custom IEM, consider the Ultimate Ears UE6 or Bravado 2.

Since you‘re new to IEMs, before buying any expensive items, I would go ahead and buy the KZ ZAX now. It is available on Amazon (so easy returns if needed). It‘s quite an amazing introductory IEM, that would fit your music tastes really well. It may be hard to believe, but it may be all the IEM you need.
Thanks for this advice. I will definitely try the KZ ZAX iem. I am a believer that spending more money does not necessarily give you the best audio experience. My favorite headphone cost $425 (used), but I have purchased many flagship level headphones that were very disappointing (looking at you Ether 2).

May 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 20
I agree with this...you hafta figure out if you can stand IEMs in your ears. There are many who cannot. One of my best friends, due to his eczema, cannot have IEMs in for long due to the irritation. So get a cheap pair, and see if you like em.
This is very good advice. I sleep for 7 hours each night with an iem listening to a sleep CD since my wife snores loudly. The iem is designed for sleep so is not a serious music contender. It is one of the reasons that I have not used iems for music - since I spend so much time with them stuffed in my ears. But with this new jaw problem, it just makes sense to use iems so I don't aggravate the problem further.

May 8, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 20
Thanks for this advice. I will definitely try the KZ ZAX iem. I am a believer that spending more money does not necessarily give you the best audio experience. My favorite headphone cost $425 (used), but I have purchased many flagship level headphones that were very disappointing (looking at you Ether 2).
BTW, where in GA do you live, and is it GA, USA? If you ever have some spare time, perhaps you could make your way to Norcross, GA to check out the Empire Ears HQ.

May 8, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 20
BTW, where in GA do you live, and is it GA, USA? If you ever have some spare time, perhaps you could make your way to Norcross, GA to check out the Empire Ears HQ.
I live in Gainesville but have been to Norcross many times. Funny you should mention Empire Ears. One of my head-fi buddies sent me a PM and recommended I try the EE Hero since I can't afford the Legend. I am seriously considering this. It might be interesting to try the Hero and the KZ ZAX and see how they compare.

May 8, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 20
I live in Gainesville but have been to Norcross many times. Funny you should mention Empire Ears. One of my head-fi buddies sent me a PM and recommended I try the EE Hero since I can't afford the Legend. I am seriously considering this. It might be interesting to try the Hero and the KZ ZAX and see how they compare.
The EE IEMs to try if you can, are the Hero and the Bravado Mk.2. While there, might as well try the Odin and Legend X, unless you have no self control :ksc75smile:.

May 8, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 20
The UM MEST Mk1, Campfire Solaris and 64 Audio Nio are 3 great choices....you can't go wrong with the IER Z1R either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back