New to IEMs. Am I doing this right?
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

h6pham8

New Head-Fier
I recently bought my first pair of IEM (Vsonic gr06). Unlike others that I have had, (skull candy), these ones insert quite deep into my ear canal, making me feel quite... invaded. I'd feel more comfortable if you guys can tell me if this is normal of IEMs? 

Thank you head-fiers!

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 9
Yeap that's right, try other tips to see if it is more comfortable. Also because it forms an air tight seal there is an air pressure difference which some can find annoying, open and close your mouth and see if that helps

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
i get very nice seals with almost all the tips, but the iems feel like its going very deep into my ear canal. is this common?

It *feels* like it because it is, the triple flange is far too long for me so i cut them. from what my audiologist said the  normal ear canal is about 2.5 cm (1 inch) long and those tips probably insert halfway or a little more over half way into your ear.

If you don't like the fit (which some people can't stand) then switch over to earbuds or ear canalphones

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 9
yes. the higher quality iems go nice and deep (for the most part). they seal better and stay in better this way. skullcandies and cheaper sony's and other cheap brands are very casual fitting in comparison.

try to get used to it. thats how you get a good seal. just keep everything clean

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 9
most higher end iems i believe need a deep insert in order to get them to their full potential.

I personally use a TDK BA200 and the only included tips are 2 pairs of complys and 2 pairs of biflanges.

complys are comfortable but they muffle up a bit of the detail.

while biflanges opens up to detail but were extremely uncomfortable at first (my first time using multiflange tips) but after a week of patience and playing with the seals, i finally got used to the fit.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Yep, you'll get used to it. My first time using IEMs went somewhat along those lines as well. It felt weird and invasive, what kept them in my ears though was the marvelous isolation and sound quality relative to the earbuds I used before. Both were cheap 'phones, too, Skullcandy and Sony I believe. They were my friends and for the entire class I just kept them in my ears. I've used IEMs here and there for a couple years and now i'm here, no real issues with the fit. Maybe the slight pain after LONG term use but i'm still experimenting with the tips I have. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back