New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp
Sep 11, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #196 of 319
hi , i just received this dac/amp today , i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong but i tried it with apple product , android product , computer , tv , low and high res files , low and high res streaming , and 3 headphones from £50 to £300 (32 to 200 ohms) and apart for a higher volume capability there's no sound improvement at all , in fact at same volume one would hardly notice any difference at all .
I read comments here about how the sound improvement is amazing , even in "professional" reviews saying its a "superb miniature piece of jewellery amp" .
Do i need to see an Otolaryngologist ? wait for this supposedly "run in" ? or send it back and look elsewhere ? as for right now its a huge disappointment , maybe i was expecting too much ...
Can someone help please ? 

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #197 of 319
  hi , i just received this dac/amp today , i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong but i tried it with apple product , android product , computer , tv , low and high res files , low and high res streaming , and 3 headphones from £50 to £300 (32 to 200 ohms) and apart for a higher volume capability there's no sound improvement at all , in fact at same volume one would hardly notice any difference at all .
I read comments here about how the sound improvement is amazing , even in "professional" reviews saying its a "superb miniature piece of jewellery amp" .
Do i need to see an Otolaryngologist ? wait for this supposedly "run in" ? or send it back and look elsewhere ? as for right now its a huge disappointment , maybe i was expecting too much ...
Can someone help please ? 

Return it if your not satisfied. Not sure what you need help with. I can't help you like it. Maybe you don't need it. It's a portable amd/dac under $200. It's well made and works with nearly any device. Most people are happy with the results. I would suggest giving it more than a day to render your decision, but that's up to you.

My experience is this. It only improves audio on cheap mobile devices which either lack a good DAC or are underpowered. Apple devices, particularly newer ones, have good DAC's and have ample power. Unless your using particularly power hungry headphones you won't really notice a difference. Some cheaper notebooks, like my Dell, have awful SNR. I can tell the TEAC is cleaner and fuller. Even so, I could only tell this difference on good quality, high bitrate files. You won't notice this from streaming services. I can definitely say that spending $200-300 on a larger desktop setup will garner better results in terms of audio quality. I have the TEAC UD-H01 on my desktop which sounds much better, but it's not fulfilling the same purpose.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #198 of 319
hi , thanx for the quick answer , as you said i will give it a good try for a few days and i'll keep you posted on my thoughts , i might completely have misunderstood the need/application for a portable amp/dac , but if it is only for "cheap devices which either lack a good dac or are underpowered" , then its useless if you only have recent "good" devices ? so what the point of a portable amp these days ?
sorry about questioning again but i was expecting so much  :frowning2:
anyway thank you very much , at least i know there's nothing wrong with the device .

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #199 of 319
  hi , thanx for the quick answer , as you said i will give it a good try for a few days and i'll keep you posted on my thoughts , i might completely have misunderstood the need/application for a portable amp/dac , but if it is only for "cheap devices which either lack a good dac or are underpowered" , then its useless if you only have recent "good" devices ? so what the point of a portable amp these days ?
sorry about questioning again but i was expecting so much  :frowning2:
anyway thank you very much , at least i know there's nothing wrong with the device .

To clarify, it will works on all devices, cheap or not. But to hear a significant improvement in audio besides just adding more volume, I would only set this expectation on "cheaper devices". If you don't need more volume from your existing devices, and they are modern good quality products, then I would find it hard to justify a portable amp like this. If your priority is audio fidelity you need to go bigger, in terms of size and budget. Also remember that returns in audio fidelity are higher per dollar spent on headphones than amps or dacs. I am assuming you already have some good headphones if your spending this much on an amp. People buy products that don't fit their needs all the time. That says more about them than the products themselves.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #200 of 319
  hi , i just received this dac/amp today , i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong but i tried it with apple product , android product , computer , tv , low and high res files , low and high res streaming , and 3 headphones from £50 to £300 (32 to 200 ohms) and apart for a higher volume capability there's no sound improvement at all , in fact at same volume one would hardly notice any difference at all . ...

a couple of questions...

- which Android device did you use as a player?

- how did you connect it to the Teac?

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #203 of 319
With the Streaming Extreme of Spotify I have very good quality.
Return it if your not satisfied. Not sure what you need help with. I can't help you like it. Maybe you don't need it. It's a portable amd/dac under $200. It's well made and works with nearly any device. Most people are happy with the results. I would suggest giving it more than a day to render your decision, but that's up to you.

My experience is this. It only improves audio on cheap mobile devices which either lack a good DAC or are underpowered. Apple devices, particularly newer ones, have good DAC's and have ample power. Unless your using particularly power hungry headphones you won't really notice a difference. Some cheaper notebooks, like my Dell, have awful SNR. I can tell the TEAC is cleaner and fuller. Even so, I could only tell this difference on good quality, high bitrate files. You won't notice this from streaming services. I can definitely say that spending $200-300 on a larger desktop setup will garner better results in terms of audio quality. I have the TEAC UD-H01 on my desktop which sounds much better, but it's not fulfilling the same purpose.

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #204 of 319
Looking at the HA-P50 specs, I am confused. TEAC website appears to suggest that a USB connection to an Android phone will only provide 16/44.1 playback compatibility. Is that right?

My Xperia Z3 will output hi-res and I'd like a headphone amp that will take full advantage of that.

Apologies if I am being dense.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #205 of 319
Looking at the HA-P50 specs, I am confused. TEAC website appears to suggest that a USB connection to an Android phone will only provide 16/44.1 playback compatibility. Is that right?

My Xperia Z3 will output hi-res and I'd like a headphone amp that will take full advantage of that.

Apologies if I am being dense.

It depends on the player, with the APP Onkyo HF designed for its brother Onkyo amp, and its unlock key, it reaches 96 KHz.
I use it with my Xperia Z1 compact

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #207 of 319
I am considering buying a Teac HA-P50 or Onkyo DAC-HA200 for listening music with my new iPod Touch.
Like to use the USB/lighting cable for best possible quality.

Can someone confirm that you can use Apple Music to play the music I download with DRM.

Hope somebody can test it and share his/her thoughts.

Edit: I finally bought the Onkyo and playing DRM files via Apple Music app is working fine.
wink_face.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #209 of 319
  It depends on the player, with the APP Onkyo HF designed for its brother Onkyo amp, and its unlock key, it reaches 96 KHz.
I use it with my Xperia Z1 compact

When you use the app in conjunction with the HA-P50 you actually don't need an unlock key. At least that is how it works on my phone.
Downside is that you can't listen to the music in the app when the HA-P50 is not connected...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back