New: Sunrise Sw-Xcape Ver 2
Mar 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #124 of 179
Got mine yesterday, been burning them in for about 10 hours. Upon arrival, they sound really bloated and thick (even to me who like a creamy mid signature.) 140 more hours to go? Burn in definitely changed the sound for the better.

I received the PL30 at the same time and I must say compared to them the XCapes need a higher volume for better performance. As of now, I prefer the cheaper PL30 after also 10 hours of burn in. The 30's sound more liquid to me, have a better left right sound-stage (more engaging) where as Xcape v2's are a bit muffled and muddy. Hope they burn in well. (I waited almost a month for them to come after selling my DBA's, curious about how v1 sounds like now.)

Everything that Clieos wrote came out to be true -  v2's have more body/texture, less clean, less detailed and a little too thick. Sub bass is a hint too much as well. If this is the case then it might sound similar to the PL11's. 

PS: Although the M50 has more bass and is less neutral, it is better controlled, tighter than these low mileage Xcapes. Wondering how they will come out.

Hope that helped, I've been reading this thread for a month. Now back to Calculus Midterm. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #125 of 179
I received my Xcape Version 2 yesterday from Singapore - 11 days from order to delivery.  Never had the V1 so can't compare. Still burning in.  Like them so far but haven't spent much time with them yet.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #126 of 179
I received the Sunrise Xcape V2 last week after deciding I wanted a backup just in case my RE0 break again. I didn't like that the cables are thinner on the Xcape V2 than my RE0s. Also I don't like the lack of cable relief on the plug. Surprisingly there doesn't appear to be a cable cinch above the y-split. The sound tube is covered with a very thin plastic mesh. I was surprised there was no replacements in case those are torn. The thinness of the mesh also may cause some ear wax to fall into the driver region. Microphonics are similar to the RE0s.

The sound out of the box was warmer than my RE0s which isn't surprising. I found the sound fuller and there was plenty of body and weight behind the midrange and bass, which was not there with the RE0s. The midrange sound like it was a bit veiled and thick. I agree that some say the sound is a bit bloated. Midrange is not that smooth or neutral, and slightly laid back. While the sound is not bad, it's sounds less refined than the RE0s at the moment.

I'm hoping these V2s improve once burned in to 150 hours. Especially I would like the sound to clean up and be more refined.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #127 of 179
Some pictures to show the diffference between Xcape V2 and RE0s. The cable while it doesn't appear much thinner than the RE0s, it feels softer and less sturdy. This gives the impression it is weaker. Both IEMs appear like they are from the same family.

The size of the IEMs are almost the same. Both very lightweight. The Sunrise tip is slightly larger which makes it fit my ear more comfortably.

The bulkier angled jack on the RE0 is preferred. There is minimal strain relief on the Xcape. Both IEMs have the same clip. Xcape doesn't have cable cinch above y-split.

The RE0 have replaceable felt mesh covering the sound tube. The Xcape has thin plastic mesh which Sunrise don't provide replaceables with the package. I think I will use the RE0 felt mesh if the plastic mesh rips, since it seems like it can fit the Xcape tube.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #128 of 179

Quote:
I found the sound fuller and there was plenty of body and weight behind the midrange and bass, which was not there with the RE0s. The midrange sound like it was a bit veiled and thick. I agree that some say the sound is a bit bloated. Midrange is not that smooth or neutral, and slightly laid back. 

Agreed. Rather disappointed as I was expecting lusher, up-front, grado-like mids. These headphones do a great job with smoothing down high frequencies though. Sounds that were to harsh to me before were found to be balanced, but sounds that weren't just became blunt. Guitar has bite.

Mine has been burning in for around 40 hours now, the sub bass is less prodding, but still not unnoticeable. After more hours of burn in, they have opened up a little better, compared to the PL30's, have better mids and highs now. The soundstage is still more narrow, (not that I complain, I like intimate IEMS), so rock sounds good. Preferred tips are the single stock ones, Biflanges give it too much bass I think.

The mid bass is the culprit here, making everything muffled and veiled. I was even considering cutting off the plastic mesh to open up the sound, but I'll keep burning it and see.

For people who are past the 150 hour mark, is the sub bass decrease noticeable? 

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #129 of 179
Mine kept improving after 60 hours till 150+. This surprized me as I was never a believer in long burn ins. They have opened up nicely now, but still not perfect, there is some 'muffling' in certain busy passages with a lot of mid bass. The sound is really pleasing to me 99% of the time, BUT....

Unfortunatly the sound on one of the drivers is cutting out due to a connection probelm at te jack. Cant say Im surprized considering the lack of strain relief on the jack!

Anyway, I guess I get to test the returns process at xcape.

Quote:

Agreed. Rather disappointed as I was expecting lusher, up-front, grado-like mids. These headphones do a great job with smoothing down high frequencies though. Sounds that were to harsh to me before were found to be balanced, but sounds that weren't just became blunt. Guitar has bite.

Mine has been burning in for around 40 hours now, the sub bass is less prodding, but still not unnoticeable. After more hours of burn in, they have opened up a little better, compared to the PL30's, have better mids and highs now. The soundstage is still more narrow, (not that I complain, I like intimate IEMS), so rock sounds good. Preferred tips are the single stock ones, Biflanges give it too much bass I think.

The mid bass is the culprit here, making everything muffled and veiled. I was even considering cutting off the plastic mesh to open up the sound, but I'll keep burning it and see.

For people who are past the 150 hour mark, is the sub bass decrease noticeable? 

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #130 of 179
I bought these about a month ago..

To be honest, after upgrading from RE2's I wasn't particularly impressed. I did about 40 hours of burn in and I do agree with a very clear and textured sound, but the soundstage and bass was not good at all. 

They are not a fun IEM to listen to. I was very dissapointed in the sound quality.

To top it off, they broke after being pulled out of my pocket. The right channel broke in half and the wire connecting the two is destroyed.

Sick.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #131 of 179
Yeah I also noticed that they were extremely fragile even when compared to cheaper IEMs. 
This is why I use the clamshell case every chance I get. 
But if the cables were thicker, there would be more cable noise so I guess this is the balance between cable noise and fragility that they chose. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back