New Steve Roach, Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces, now available for pre-order
Sep 9, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #61 of 69
just as a reference point - i tried several albums of Eno.. and i didn't really like it. i can love mellow music - but i was bored with him..

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #62 of 69
for-all-mankind.gif

Go our and either rent or buy the dvd of For All Mankind. That's the only Eno album I really like. Good stuff...

Sep 10, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
just as a reference point - i tried several albums of Eno.. and i didn't really like it. i can love mellow music - but i was bored with him..

Adam,

I'm a longtime Eno fan, but depending on which ones you tried, I can understand its posible for you to feel that way. Which albums did you listen to? There are a couple even I would consider boring.

JC

Sep 10, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #64 of 69
If you're crazy about Roach's didgeridoo, the first one you should get is Halcyon Days: delicately layered soundcape, terrific sound: but anyone who has a problem with the didgeridoo should steer clear of this album
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Roach's best purely "tribal" works are his two albums under the outfit Suspended Memories, which is a trio of musicians. I perfer their second release Earth Island

Sooner or later you'll hit upon his masterpieces Dreamtime Return (note: a remastered version is due next year under the label Projekt) and Well of Souls -- but these are not overtly "tribal" so these may not be what you're looking for right now. I also think Truth and Beauty, which is a compilation of rare tracks, offers a nice balance between various styles.

Sep 10, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
To throw another recommendation at you: Lustmord's Place Where the Black Stars Hang. I don't know if you have this already, but if you don't, you NEED it.

Absolutely terrifying. The soundtrack to an alien abduction. Strangely hypnotic, to boot.

- Chris

Well, now I really want this CD...of course it's out of print and there are no copies at Half.com or ebay...guess I will try and keep my eyes peeled.

John

Sep 10, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #66 of 69
Nightfall,
i can't remember names except Music for Airports (i think that was the name). i think i've heard another 2 albums that were kinda boring too (for me, sorry if you like it).. and "another green world" is a nice one in a totaly different direction, but this is another style completely..

FalconP,
thank you! Stephen Kent is a great player, i'm looking forward to hear that one! i have no problem with didgeridoos..i play them
tongue.gif

just to make clear.. for me, "tribal" ain't about going wild with rhythms and that's it.. what i look for are pieces that show the connection between calm and energetic, dark and lit, etc..
i look for a tribal essence and its various types of trance, to say more correct.

edit: just remembered i have an mp3 track of Kent- called "Halcyon days", and has no end! now that i listen, i rememebr i loved it, but didn't know where it was from. it's probably it. i'm buying this!

Sep 10, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #67 of 69
I love digeridoos. Thanks for the recommendations, FalconP; I'm gonna look for those Roach discs.

Another album with excellent digeridoo playing is the live album by Spacetime Continuum; masterful ambient techno played live. The only problem is it features Terence McKenna, the DMT guru, who has a very... uh .... "peculiar" voice. His monologues tend to grate on some people's ears.

- Chris

Sep 10, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
I loveAnother album with excellent digeridoo playing is the live album by Spacetime Continuum; masterful ambient techno played live. The only problem is it features Terence McKenna, the DMT guru, who has a very... uh .... "peculiar" voice. His monologues tend to grate on some people's ears.

i don't like it that much - i didn't find great depths in there, and Terence McKenna can annoy me.. though i love his approach, sometimes it shows that he has done too much DMT
smily_headphones1.gif
i don't think he passes through something solid and focused with his words, at least it ain't enough for me.
the music tend not to feel genuine a lot of times, and i don't think there's something special about Kents' didgeridoo playing in this album, to be honest.
but the story it cool (track 3?). well, no better then mine
very_evil_smiley.gif

anybody knows "Trance Spirits" ?

Oct 3, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #69 of 69
no comments about Trance Spirits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back