New Steve Roach, Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces, now available for pre-order
May 21, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 69
I've only listened to it once. I ended up liking Darkest Before Dawn better, but I still like it. For some reason, I kept expecting Yes' "Close to the Edge" to start -- I think maybe he's often using the same type of chord as opens that track.

My criticism of it is purely personal: I prefer minor chords. (I'm Russian, it's in the blood.)

That said, I'll still listen to it a lot more. The last disk, in particular, is probably my favourite.

You really should check out Chris Meloche, though, if you want to see how it's done masterfully. I have all of these, and can recommend any of them: Recurring Dreams of the Urban Myth, Urban Myth 2, Distant Rituals.

May 21, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #33 of 69
hey, thanks again guys, once again I go and pry open the wallet for some music that I've never heard before, but based on this thread alone and the musical preferences of the people participating in the thread I don't think I'll be disappointed.

May 22, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I've only listened to it once. I ended up liking Darkest Before Dawn better, but I still like it. For some reason, I kept expecting Yes' "Close to the Edge" to start -- I think maybe he's often using the same type of chord as opens that track.

My criticism of it is purely personal: I prefer minor chords. (I'm Russian, it's in the blood.)

That said, I'll still listen to it a lot more. The last disk, in particular, is probably my favourite.

You really should check out Chris Meloche, though, if you want to see how it's done masterfully. I have all of these, and can recommend any of them: Recurring Dreams of the Urban Myth, Urban Myth 2, Distant Rituals.

I absolutely love Darkest Before Dawn as well. It's a near-perfect work of deep-ambient drift, but it's (intrinsically and intentionally) rather... monochromatic. MS&SS, by comparison, is much more varied in mood, color, tone, and dynamics. The canvas is bigger, and he uses every inch of it.

I will definitely look up your Chris Meloche recommendations, they sound very intriguing.

May 23, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #35 of 69
"monochromatic" is a choice word to use in the context, you're not the first person to tell me that is something I like.

May 23, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by tortoise
I absolutely love Darkest Before Dawn as well. It's a near-perfect work of deep-ambient drift, but it's (intrinsically and intentionally) rather... monochromatic. MS&SS, by comparison, is much more varied in mood, color, tone, and dynamics. The canvas is bigger, and he uses every inch of it.

I will definitely look up your Chris Meloche recommendations, they sound very intriguing.

To throw another recommendation at you: Lustmord's Place Where the Black Stars Hang. I don't know if you have this already, but if you don't, you NEED it.

Absolutely terrifying. The soundtrack to an alien abduction. Strangely hypnotic, to boot.

- Chris

May 23, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
To throw another recommendation at you: Lustmord's Place Where the Black Stars Hang. I don't know if you have this already, but if you don't, you NEED it.

Absolutely terrifying. The soundtrack to an alien abduction. Strangely hypnotic, to boot.

- Chris

I think I have it.

(I know, I know, I should be embarassed -- I don't even know what I have and what I don't -- what can I say? I suck. I was going through the tail end of my marriage/beginning of my divorce, and large parts of the 90's I have just "filed away". But then I remember the weirdest things, too...but I digress...I'm pretty sure I have several Lustmord recordings [considering he's on Soleilmoon], and I'm sure I have the Arecibo.)

May 23, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

I think I have it.

Dusty, knowing your music tastes, trust me when I tell you that it is an essential album that you must own.

- Chris

May 23, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #39 of 69
I bought it a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. Another masterpiece to add to my ambient/space collection!

May 23, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

"monochromatic" is a choice word to use in the context, you're not the first person to tell me that is something I like.

And I'm happy that you took it in the spirit in which it was intended, as it was not a knock on DBD. I think even Steve wouldn't object to the monochromatic label being affixed to that record.

I think the hour+ ambient pieces need to be at least somewhat monochromatic. Like I said before, those pieces are all about creating a sustained atmosphere.

May 23, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

- Chris

I agree completely, it is an essential album. It took a while to grow on me, though, probably because I was hoping for Heresy 2. Now, though, I find myself listening to TPWTBSH far more often than Heresy. I just love the painfully slow buildup of tension.

Another dark ambient essential: Biosphere's Substrata. Not quite as dark and disturbing as Lustmord, and much more varied in tone and style.

May 23, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Another dark ambient essential: Biosphere's Substrata. Not quite as dark and disturbing as Lustmord, and much more varied in tone and style.

Wonderful arctic-circle ambience -- the sense of perishing cold is almost palpable. There seems to be a 2-CD sequal to Substrata but I've yet to come by it.

Pretty much in the same vein is an album called True North by Mathias Grassow and Amir Baghiri

Quote:

My favorite Rich release is actually a compilation of his compilation cuts and other "rarities," aptly titled A Troubled Resting Place

Quote:

Originally posted by archosman

Fissures with Alio De is probably my favorite

Both are top class material, beautiful cover art too. It's a shame that the label Fathom (or for that matter, Hearts of Space?) is now defunct.

Aother Robert Rich compilation Below Zero is more "industrial" and experimental (quite different from the usual R Rich) but beautiful in its own way.

Don't like Lustmord much personally,

May 23, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
Wonderful arctic-circle ambience -- the sense of perishing cold is almost palpable. There seems to be a 2-CD sequal to Substrata but I've yet to come by it.

Not much of a sequel, actually, just a reissue. It includes the tracks from the Japanese edition on the first disc (a couple dancier tracks) and the second disc is Geir Jenssen's soundtrack to The Man with the Movie Camera.

As far as Substrata goes, I too like it very much, but a couple of the tracks are so god damn out of place I just can't stand to listen to them. The ones with guitar and voice - UGH. They make me ill. Besides those couple stinkers, the album is amazing.

- Chris

May 23, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #44 of 69
By the way, if you folks want punishingly-chilly ambience, try Thomas Köner. Far more isolating than Biosphere could ever hope to be. He's brilliant.

- Chris

May 23, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #45 of 69
This is such a great thread! Quote:

By the way, if you folks want punishingly-chilly ambience, try Thomas Köner. Far more isolating than Biosphere could ever hope to be. He's brilliant.

Yup, just recently got into him, have ZYKLOP and DAIKAN. I like the latter a bit more.

Keep 'em coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back