New soundcard or amp...give me your opinion
Oct 2, 2006 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mortalcoil

1000+ Head-Fier
As the title of the thread suggests.Using a pair of Grados directly from my pc(ampless),via a sound balster live card.
Would I be better off upgrading my sound card or better to go for an amp?
If you could only pick one route (upgrade),which would it be?.Where do you think I would notice more of a difference in quality?

Feedback appreciated.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil
As the title of the thread suggests.Using a pair of Grados directly from my pc(ampless),via a sound balster live card.
Would I be better off upgrading my sound card or better to go for an amp?
If you could only pick one route (upgrade),which would it be?.Where do you think I would notice more of a difference in quality?

Feedback appreciated.

sound card.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 9
yes i also think you should upgrade your soundcard first, before amp.

I also have a question. I have a Creative Xfi Xtrememusic sound card, which I like for the gaming I do. Is this sufficient enough of a sound card for audio purposes? I know something else like the audigy2 zs or an emu would be better, but this should get the job done pretty well eh?

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Emu 1212m and reterminate the Grado RS2 to be balanced. All in probably under $200USD. Not going to get better than that $ for $.

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan
I know something else like the audigy2 zs or an emu would be better...

Not sure where you heard that. The X-Fi series is the first SoundBlaster line to be musicable, not a word but you get the picture. The Audigy series was resampling crap. X-Fi, Emu, RME, ESI, M-Audio, Lynx all good stuff.

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the input guys.

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Ever seen the Chaintech AV-710? its like 30 bucks. Since your phones are pretty high end, I suggest the offerings from Onkyo. They are very simple, use very choice components, and if you dont game or anything like that then the Onkyo SE-90 pci card would be awsome. Its loaded to boot with all the stuff you need, none of the junk you dont.

Edit:
I never really liked Creative's "mp3 better than studio quality" approach. Its pointless to get XFI unless you game, and even then only if you do, only very modern games tax your system enough for hardware 3d audio to actually help. The xfi eqs and dsps for music, for whatever its worth is really just a gimmick. Stick with the non-gaming cards like onkyo, e-mu, m-audio, esi juli@, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back