NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jun 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #3,496 of 4,019
getting me two new toys for my WM-Z to play with... a Neco Soundlab V3 amp, I've bought the upgrade version so I'm expecting it to come with 'bells' attached... I'm also expecting to get my mitts on a pair of KEF M500's in the next week or so (funds, man, funds... my wallet has gone all aboriginal & gone on a 'walkabout' said it'll be home soon), hopefully this will satisfy my needs.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #3,500 of 4,019
Quote:
Quick question, but are the Sony Walkman players still a good portable to buy for sound quality?

Latest one on the Sony Store Canada is

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666470151

I walked by a Sony Store few days ago and saw quite a lot of old series walkman player in store, just wondering if anyone would still buy all these outdated player at full price.
size]

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #3,503 of 4,019
At the risk of starting a flame war, I could not tell any difference, but then I couldn't hear any difference in ICS over GB. My hearing is just not sensitive enough. I admire those of you whose hearing is so acute and memory so sharp that you can tell differences from one FW version to another without a direct a/b comparison.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #3,504 of 4,019
Quote:
At the risk of starting a flame war, I could not tell any difference, but then I couldn't hear any difference in ICS over GB. My hearing is just not sensitive enough. I admire those of you whose hearing is so acute and memory so sharp that you can tell differences from one FW version to another without a direct a/b comparison.

It is very difficult to discern the difference between before and after upgrade unless the improvement is huge.  I'm the same way and usually prefer a/b comparison.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,505 of 4,019
Quote:
getting me two new toys for my WM-Z to play with... a Neco Soundlab V3 amp, I've bought the upgrade version so I'm expecting it to come with 'bells' attached... I'm also expecting to get my mitts on a pair of KEF M500's in the next week or so (funds, man, funds... my wallet has gone all aboriginal & gone on a 'walkabout' said it'll be home soon), hopefully this will satisfy my needs.

Ever considered turning pro?  Hire yourself out to burn in other peoples' rigs.  Might keep your wallet happy.

Have Walkman   Will Travel

wink_face.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #3,506 of 4,019
I wish it was that easy but... it doesnt help.
Do you have the google search engine box on the top of the main screen? If I swipe the screen left & right, I am able to remove it to bin. But from the main screen it doesnt have that option. I dont use the internet on it (only for update), so its kind of annoying seeing that box everytime.
Quote:
Hold the widget, drag it to the remove bin.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,507 of 4,019
Quote:
Do you have the google search engine box on the top of the main screen? If I swipe the screen left & right, I am able to remove it to bin. But from the main screen it doesnt have that option. I dont use the internet on it (only for update), so its kind of annoying seeing that box everytime.

Ah, you're on ICS then XD
Sorry, without a root you can't...

Annoying for me too, hate the bugs on Android as well.

Have a Nexus 7 and an HP Touchpad, although the Touchpad has dated hardware I use it far more often.  Android is the plague, similar to Windows Mobile 5.x/6.x

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #3,508 of 4,019

Go to Settings, scroll down to Apps, there you'll find a menu with Downloaded apps, running apps, and if you swipe to the left it will bring "All" apps menu out.

There is a list of all existing aplications on the device, look down for "Google Search", click it and it'll show several options, one of them being Stop, and the other being disable. Click both and it will disable the search widget.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3,509 of 4,019
Quote:

I do remember quite a drastic change between the GB and ICS. My memory is getting blurry so take it with a grain of salt. But I think that the GB sounded sharper and had more sparkle (especially in the highs), while the ICS sounded softer/smoother in note with a bigger soundstage.
Quote:
The recent update has a bass distortion fix.

Ah, thanks. The distortion in the mid bass always bothered me a little. It's great that Sony it's continually updating their software for their new products.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #3,510 of 4,019
Quote:
Does anybody knows how the Z compares to the X in terms of sound quality? For me the X is the best sounding Sony DAP ever. But I haven't listen to the Z yet.

I know it is a long thread but many have compared the Z to the X, and the majority have preferred the Z, F, and new A86x over the X.  I have all four Sony DAPs including the X1060, Z1070 (JPN), A867 (JPN) and F807 (JPN), and the X finished last for me.  Still it is a very good sounding DAP and has the best built/finish next to the special "gun metal grey" edition F walkman.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back