NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 16, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #3,421 of 4,019
Quote:
Other way around for me. Can't think of another small handheld device than my red Z with a similar feel of premium build quality and classy looks. Also the screen might not be top of it's class but it is definitely very good and movies look fantastic with excellent contrast and black levels. No chips on mine after more than a year of use...

I have Chinese devices with superior screens, the Z's only flaw imo is the screen.

It may have a low battery capacity but that was intended for quicker charging times, no need for 1800 mAh+ when you're not using cellular.

May 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #3,422 of 4,019
Quote:
I have Chinese devices with superior screens, the Z's only flaw imo is the screen.

It may have a low battery capacity but that was intended for quicker charging times, no need for 1800 mAh+ when you're not using cellular.

Technically the Z is also a Chinese built device(but with a Japanese feel to it!)

May 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #3,424 of 4,019
Quote:

Technically the Z is also a Chinese built device(but with a Japanese feel to it!)

Chinese as in Chinese design not manf country lol.  I purchase android based handheld consoles every so often, out of the ones I have owned none came in perfect working condition.

Like the JXD S7100, they skimped out on the capacitive screen.  After reconnecting the poorly inserted display cable, a light press to screen caused it to crack...

May 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3,425 of 4,019
That last update really revived my Z1060, it now flies through songs and all apps open snappily, where it struggled before. It is now a great music player and mini tablet. I don't recall seeing the equalizer settings available in the Play Music app before?? It has to be said we all sort of adapt to our tech, I had grown used to the sluggishness, all for the sound I guess. I wonder what was the roadblock that made it stumble.

Last night it took its first small fall, that PDAir silicone case saved the day.

I wish there was a similar way of reviving my Xperia Mini Pro, forever stuck in Gingerbread!

May 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,426 of 4,019
So SONY finally decided to update the broken link, WOOHOO!

Upon first impression I have noticed ICS is works smoothly on the dated hardware.  The RAM appears to be a bottleneck however, when after opening several links the system hangs briefly.

I noticed the music player gestures are less accurate on ICS, where it takes more effort and precision to swipe the corner to change the layout.

My system has more storage freed after ICS, roughly 1GB.

I appreciate the refined UI, though there are still quite a bit of bugs.  The indicator menu still is problematic, sometimes it will not feed the song information / controls.  The problem also extends into the Walkman classics app that was added.

Battery life seems to be improved while listening to music, though tends to drain faster while using the screen.

Anyone notice the sharper image after the ICS update?  The ppi settings on GB were not optimal, everything looked a bit blurry.  With the darker theme, the poor viewing angles are more difficult to distinguish.

The Walkman Z is very musical with my A900X, really enjoying it!

Wish I could find a fairly priced case / screen protector, not paying $30 for PDair quality...

May 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #3,428 of 4,019
guys, i got a question....

is there a need for me to backup my files if im gonna to update this new version ????
will there be a need to do a FACTORY RESET after this update?
or will there be any problems with the device after this new update ? (be it music SQ, laggy, UI,etc.. )

hope you guys can help me reply these questions.. much appreciated!

May 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3,429 of 4,019
Quote:
guys, i got a question....

is there a need for me to backup my files if im gonna to update this new version ????
will there be a need to do a FACTORY RESET after this update?
or will there be any problems with the device after this new update ? (be it music SQ, laggy, UI,etc.. )

hope you guys can help me reply these questions.. much appreciated!

no need to backup, if you want factory reset is recommended, and i have no problem after update (i didn't factory reset my Z)

May 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,430 of 4,019
Quote:
Do these things actually have that much better sound quality than getting a phone/music player combo.  I used to own a mp3 walkman but it just wasn't practical enough for me.

Depends on your phone.  If you're using a higher end phone, e.g GS3/4 you're probably going to have a hard time justifying the price and added bulk of the Z.

May 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,431 of 4,019
I skipped the first update and was running the original version all this time. Had problems with scanning music files when powering up. After installing the new update the scan works quicker & flawlessly. Also the player responds quicker. Music sounds the same to my ears. Maybe a bit clearer. I like the new icons from the original software.

May 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #3,432 of 4,019
Quote:
Depends on your phone.  If you're using a higher end phone, e.g GS3/4 you're probably going to have a hard time justifying the price and added bulk of the Z.

Quote:
Do these things actually have that much better sound quality than getting a phone/music player combo.  I used to own a mp3 walkman but it just wasn't practical enough for me.

I have a Sony Acro S. Best-sounding phone I have had, by a country mile. None of the brashness of the Xperia Mini Pro or the weediness of the Xperia P.

My Walkman Z is getting less use now, but is still my choice for when I really want to listen to music via good headphones and/or amp. Initially I thought the Acro S matched the Walkman, but as I got used to it, I realised that the Walkman retains the sound quality edge. The Acro S doesn't do anything wrong, but the Walkman gets it more right. With the Walkman I hear more rich detailed texture and a fuller, more musical sound.

Right away, reading my comments, you would have to suspect that this is due to a boost in the frequency response aroung the 60Hz mark. That is probably correct. But I am sure it is more than that. The Walkman just has more detailed music.

May 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,433 of 4,019
Quote:

I have a Sony Acro S. Best-sounding phone I have had, by a country mile. None of the brashness of the Xperia Mini Pro or the weediness of the Xperia P.

My Walkman Z is getting less use now, but is still my choice for when I really want to listen to music via good headphones and/or amp. Initially I thought the Acro S matched the Walkman, but as I got used to it, I realised that the Walkman retains the sound quality edge. The Acro S doesn't do anything wrong, but the Walkman gets it more right. With the Walkman I hear more rich detailed texture and a fuller, more musical sound.

Right away, reading my comments, you would have to suspect that this is due to a boost in the frequency response aroung the 60Hz mark. That is probably correct. But I am sure it is more than that. The Walkman just has more detailed music.

I have a Palm Pre 3 that sounds great with music.  Although not neutral the sound presents itself as if it were.

I have several devices that are arguably better than the Z, though none of them play FLAC :D

Its a shame the Z does not have a cheap silicone case or screen protector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back