NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #3,152 of 4,019
Quote:
congratz on your new Z. btw I got the 32GB HK version that comes with ex300, does the NWNC33 performs significantly better in International Z than ex300 with all enhancements turned on except dynamic normalizer and surround sound off?
thanks..

Got home today. Just remembered your question.

the sound signature of these two earphones is very similar. The ex300 seems to require a notch or two more volume to sound the same level, but once there I really can't pick much if any difference. 

After my trip, I have to same the noise cancelling of the NW-NC33 is really very good. I flew back this morning in an Embraer 190 which even in row 3 are a very noisy plane. In most 737s I've used my B&W P5s, they've been adequate at isolating engine noise, but in the Embraer, there was still too much noise. Having tried the NW-NC33 on the way down yesterday, and being quite impressed, I changed over and they isolated almost as good as my Bose would have done IMO. I think it's neat how Sony have set the noise cancelling up giving three different environment options, Bus/Train, Plane or Office plus you can vary the NC effect +/- 15 levels. I guess that is in case you want to still hear some outside noises. 

In conclusion, without the NC software of the Japanese Z1000 I don't see any reason you'd buy them. They sound pretty good but in reality, there are heaps better IEMs and many isolate almost as well as these active models. I much prefer my W4r for example.

And I'm sure there are plenty less expensive ones than those that are superior, but for a stock accessory IEM these are the best sounding and most useful with the NC I've had.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #3,153 of 4,019
Quote:
hi can you help me what is the best USB AC charger output? 5V 1000mA because this the usual output of all usb AC adapter?

I'm using my iPhone and iPad chargers. Convenient because there are 4 in my household. The iPads 10w charger is quickest. If you want to buy an adapter, get a aftermarket iPhone/iPad one I guess. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #3,154 of 4,019
Will a Z Walkman (or any Walkman series for that matter) be a substantial upgrade in audio quality compared to my actual Xperia S, also from Sony?

I got both devices and I can tell you that Walkman Z blows Xperia S out of water in SQ and I'm definitely not an audiophile btw since I can't really distinguish between 320kbps MP3 CBR, 256kbps M4a VBR and FLAC, that maybe because I don't have awesome IEM like the EX1000/EX600 LOL.

Got home today. Just remembered your question.

the sound signature of these two earphones is very similar. The ex300 seems to require a notch or two more volume to sound the same level, but once there I really can't pick much if any difference. 

After my trip, I have to same the noise cancelling of the NW-NC33 is really very good. I flew back this morning in an Embraer 190 which even in row 3 are a very noisy plane. In most 737s I've used my B&W P5s, they've been adequate at isolating engine noise, but in the Embraer, there was still too much noise. Having tried the NW-NC33 on the way down yesterday, and being quite impressed, I changed over and they isolated almost as good as my Bose would have done IMO. I think it's neat how Sony have set the noise cancelling up giving three different environment options, Bus/Train, Plane or Office plus you can vary the NC effect +/- 15 levels. I guess that is in case you want to still hear some outside noises. 

In conclusion, without the NC software of the Japanese Z1000 I don't see any reason you'd buy them. They sound pretty good but in reality, there are heaps better IEMs and many isolate almost as well as these active models. I much prefer my W4r for example.

And I'm sure there are plenty less expensive ones than those that are superior, but for a stock accessory IEM these are the best sounding and most useful with the NC I've had.

thanks for your review bro, guess I'll stick to ex300 for now..

oh anyway, did anyone here managed to root ICS Walkman Z already?

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3,155 of 4,019
I got both devices and I can tell you that Walkman Z blows Xperia S out of water in SQ and I'm definitely not an audiophile btw since I can't really distinguish between 320kbps MP3 CBR, 256kbps M4a VBR and FLAC, that maybe because I don't have awesome IEM like the EX1000/EX600 LOL.

Yeah, I picked an A865 walkman, which has the same amp as the the Z, the so called S Master MX, so they share similarities in the sound quality, and you can really pick on the differences between the phone and the dedicated player. The sound is well more defined and refined on the walkman. Although I think the bundled phones (EX-300) are trash.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #3,157 of 4,019
After the update to ICS I didn't enjoy my Japanese Z as much anymore as before with Android 2.3. I perceived the difference in sound sig to be huge and not as small as some in this forum claim the difference to be: Harsher/piercing highs without the smooth bass and fatigueing to listen to in the long run.

For that reason alone I just had to buy myself another Z, will never update this unit to ICS!

Pretty amazed that this isn't mentioned more often in this thread as I remember the remarks made about the possibility of the sound turning for the worse just before the update came out last December!

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #3,158 of 4,019
Did you have to buy another one? Android is a bit more easier to downgrade to a previous firmware than let's say an Apple device.

Maybe on XDA Developers they could help you downgrade your device if you still have it with you.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,160 of 4,019
I went from the a864 walkman to the z and I noticed the difference in sound quality immediately.  The Z was more muddled and fatiguing, where the A was clean
crisp, and full with nice separation.  Kinda disappointing really since I heard they have the same digital amps in them.  I find with the z that less is more.  I turn off all
of the sound enhancements and maybe use the eq.  If I use any of the sound enhancements the eq changes dont seem to work.  I noticed this before the ics update,
that the eq just seemed to make things louder and not better.  That is, if I adjusted the treble I could hardly tell that I adjusted the treble, everything just seemed to be louder.
With the A if I adjusted the treble I could tell immediately the change.  If only I could find a large capacity a series then I would sell the z.  

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,162 of 4,019
aww man dont tell me that after I updated to ICS! :D

how can it be worse quality if it is allowing the playing of FLAC files?!

On that note, could someone please help me? Half of the FLAC files I put on my Z1060 dont work, and say 'unsupported' :/

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #3,163 of 4,019
I'm no expert on Flac but over on the iBasso DX100 thread there have been some similar issues raised and there is mention of improper tags and some suggestions of how to fix. Maybe worth you looking on this page...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-24-bit-for-bit-pg-1-reviews-impressions-downloads-video-new-firmware-1-3-7/10860#post_9207113

As far as ICS sound quality, I didn't use 2.3 for long at all, but I am quite satisfied with the SQ after updating. As I also have a DX100 to compare to, I personally can't complain about the Z. It may not have the dynamics or output to drive higher impedance HPs of the DX100 but it's not a mile behind either. There are similar variable opinions about the SQ of the various FW versions of 2.3 on the DX with some reverting back from the latest version 1 or 2 releases. I'm staying with the latest versions on both devices.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,164 of 4,019
aww man dont tell me that after I updated to ICS! :D

how can it be worse quality if it is allowing the playing of FLAC files?!

On that note, could someone please help me? Half of the FLAC files I put on my Z1060 dont work, and say 'unsupported' :/

I don't have the Walkman z, but I do have an Xperia S which happens to have the same Walkman software as the Z, and I also came across unsupported flacs, althouhg a bast minority of my collection. I think the issue is in the WALKMAN app itself, other apps like Neutron or any other app that supports flac files will play them with no issues.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,165 of 4,019
Hi guys,

This may have been asked previously but there are too many pages to go through.  Has anyone ordered a 64GB Z direct from Japan to the UK, and if so where from and how much did you pay for shipping and duty etc?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back