NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,121 of 4,019
Do you know if your Aussie Z is volume limited and what Zout? The European Z has been measured at 27 Ohms 
eek.gif
 but somehow sound wonderful with the Sony XBA-40, which is only 12 Oms,reaching as low as 4 Ohms. The Japanese Z has been measure at ~4 Ohms

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3,122 of 4,019
I don't have the gear to measure it, and that's a great question. I thought I had read elsewhere here that only the Japanese models were not volume limited and if that comes down to output impedance, I would certainly prefer 4ohms to 27! I did see on Goldenears.net comparison of some DAPs that the Sony's they tested all seem to be 3-4ohms. Of course output volume is a combination of many things apart from impedance, but I can say that even with the highest impedance phones I have which are only 70ohms, the Aussie Z still drives them quite well. But even the Momentums which are only 18ohms seem to need as much volume to drive them as my DT1350s and HD25s. It'll be interesting to compare the two Zs when the 1070 arrives.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #3,123 of 4,019
Please do 
wink.gif

I have considered giving a go to the DX100 and AK100 but I just love the form factor, battery, sound and versatility of the Z so I am also considering getting a Japanese 64gb model.
The F is also tempting but the screen is just too small to be enjoyable with anything else than playing music.
Maybe I should just enjoy my Z and wait for their next model. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3,125 of 4,019
Quote:
Please do 
wink.gif

I have considered giving a go to the DX100 and AK100 but I just love the form factor, battery, sound and versatility of the Z so I am also considering getting a Japanese 64gb model.
The F is also tempting but the screen is just too small to be enjoyable with anything else than playing music.
Maybe I should just enjoy my Z and wait for their next model. 

FYI, the F walkman has snappier operation & feel than the Z.  It also charge faster and has better transfer rate.  The F-walkman is more of a complete products than the Z beside smaller screen and different sound quality.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3,126 of 4,019
Hi i have problem with my Sony Walkman Z. I Charget it for some time and when i back to it said the device is charged full. When i go to settings and battery it is charged only in 96 -98%. Dunno what to do, factory reset again?

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,127 of 4,019
Quote:
Hi i have problem with my Sony Walkman Z. I Charget it for some time and when i back to it said the device is charged full. When i go to settings and battery it is charged only in 96 -98%. Dunno what to do, factory reset again?

I don't know the specific let's say solution to the Walkman Z, but for some other Sony Android phone I've had, the generic solution to this miscalibration was charging the device all the way to 100%, then unplugging the charger and restart the device, then turning it up again and charge all the way to 100% again.

Try thay, it might be worth.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #3,128 of 4,019
I recently purchased a pair of f111's and they hiss like a rattlesnake on my walkman.
Is there a site where i can find the electrical specifications of the z series?
Does anyone happen to know the output impedance, and power output at 16ohms?
Sony states 5+5mW@16ohms, but this isn't particularly helpful.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #3,131 of 4,019
Quote:
FitEar 111, similar to TG!334, should be "mad" sensitive as mentioned by other fellow members

http://www.head-fi.org/t/599685/altmann-tera-player/900

http://www.head-fi.org/products/tralucent-audio-1plus2/reviews/8182

If your DAP / amp were not able to provide something like "black background" so to speak, then you will hear all that hissing because of the sensitivity.

I tried my TG!334 with Colorfly C4 Pro and that combo was hissing like crazy as well. Just be cautious when we pick something to pair with FitEar IEMs.

I've tried them out of the e17, and that's definitely a no-no. Fitear not releasing specs to go by, kinda scumbaggy.
I was thinking of finding some specifications to go by, hence my original post.

Tera player is definitely out of my budget at the moment.
So, the only solution i can see at the moment, is running a line out to an amp that produces low power.
Something like the Leckerton uha-4, 20mW/16ohms, would perhaps be low enough, but i probably won't jump on it until i out some kind of reference point to deduce the possible specs of the f111's.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,133 of 4,019

I don't know the specific let's say solution to the Walkman Z, but for some other Sony Android phone I've had, the generic solution to this miscalibration was charging the device all the way to 100%, then unplugging the charger and restart the device, then turning it up again and charge all the way to 100% again.

Try thay, it might be worth.

It works, thanks.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #3,134 of 4,019
My NW-Z1070 arrived from Japan today. Not bad time. Ordered last Thursday, mailed Saturday via EMS and arrived in Brisbane at work today. 

Following the helpful info on this forum, setup to English was easy, and I was up and running in no time. Synced my music across via my Robocopy batch file to the already existing music folder on the Z. Took a while to update the database. Noticed a couple album art images missing. Will sort that out later. I played around with gingerbread for an hour or so, but comparing to my international Z which I updated to ICS as soon as I purchased it, I very quickly decided to update the 64 Z as well. That done, here's a few observations...

• Clearly the space is the main advantage. Just plain dumb that in a DAP this level there is no microSD. 
  • Very easy to change the default keyboard to a Qwerty. There's one installed. No need for a third party one.
  • The provided NC earphones are definitely better than the international ones and pretty damn good actually. Instantly comfortable. The hybrid tips are very kind on your canals. Pretty easy to listen for hours.
  • Listening to them right now, really quite nice. Maybe a little too forward in the upper mids and treble with just a hint of sibilance on some tracks I've listened to and may not be fast enough to keep up with some busy music. Noticed they got pretty messy on Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. Hurts Like Heaven challenges any earphone or headphone. Just A/Bd them to my W4Rs, and they have no trouble keeping up. And the snare isn't bashing your ears quite like the Sony's.
  • Bass quality and quantity should suit all except the biggest bass fans. Tried them on a standard test track of Vaughn Williams "Landscape" from his Symphony No7, the Sinfonia Antarctica. At around 7mins 30secs, there's a very low frequency section that must be near the threshold of many phones because it is often almost inaudible. The Sony's had no problem with it.
  • Tried out the noise cancelling, works pretty well in some home testing. Will give them a go on a plane flight Friday.
  • There is definitely more volume available on the 64 WM-Z. But you should not damage your ears unless you have very low impedance phones and careless.
  • Sound quality is as expected. With the phones I use as a reference, my HD25-IIs, the SQ is indistinguishable from the iNternational Z. I know some say that like many Japanese devices they have a bit more treble but gee it must be slight as I am having trouble picking it. But sound quality is very satisfying. 

All in all, I'm very happy I took the plunge. Sure the F is newer and snappier according to an earlier post today, but I like form factor of the Z. Just the right size to carry without being cumbersome and able to use its screen for much more than music alone. 

Happy to answer any specific questions anyone might have so long as it doesn't involve test gear which I don't have any of.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,135 of 4,019
Quote:
My NW-Z1070 arrived from Japan today. Not bad time. Ordered last Thursday, mailed Saturday via EMS and arrived in Brisbane at work today. 

Following the helpful info on this forum, setup to English was easy, and I was up and running in no time. Synced my music across via my Robocopy batch file to the already existing music folder on the Z. Took a while to update the database. Noticed a couple album art images missing. Will sort that out later. I played around with gingerbread for an hour or so, but comparing to my international Z which I updated to ICS as soon as I purchased it, I very quickly decided to update the 64 Z as well. That done, here's a few observations...

• Clearly the space is the main advantage. Just plain dumb that in a DAP this level there is no microSD. 
  • Very easy to change the default keyboard to a Qwerty. There's one installed. No need for a third party one.
  • The provided NC earphones are definitely better than the international ones and pretty damn good actually. Instantly comfortable. The hybrid tips are very kind on your canals. Pretty easy to listen for hours.
  • Listening to them right now, really quite nice. Maybe a little too forward in the upper mids and treble with just a hint of sibilance on some tracks I've listened to and may not be fast enough to keep up with some busy music. Noticed they got pretty messy on Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. Hurts Like Heaven challenges any earphone or headphone. Just A/Bd them to my W4Rs, and they have no trouble keeping up. And the snare isn't bashing your ears quite like the Sony's.
  • Bass quality and quantity should suit all except the biggest bass fans. Tried them on a standard test track of Vaughn Williams "Landscape" from his Symphony No7, the Sinfonia Antarctica. At around 7mins 30secs, there's a very low frequency section that must be near the threshold of many phones because it is often almost inaudible. The Sony's had no problem with it.
  • Tried out the noise cancelling, works pretty well in some home testing. Will give them a go on a plane flight Friday.
  • There is definitely more volume available on the 64 WM-Z. But you should not damage your ears unless you have very low impedance phones and careless.
  • Sound quality is as expected. With the phones I use as a reference, my HD25-IIs, the SQ is indistinguishable from the iNternational Z. I know some say that like many Japanese devices they have a bit more treble but gee it must be slight as I am having trouble picking it. But sound quality is very satisfying. 

All in all, I'm very happy I took the plunge. Sure the F is newer and snappier according to an earlier post today, but I like form factor of the Z. Just the right size to carry without being cumbersome and able to use its screen for much more than music alone. 

Happy to answer any specific questions anyone might have so long as it doesn't involve test gear which I don't have any of.

Congrats on your Z and thanks for your impression.  Despite what I said about the F over the Z in term of operation, I love my Z1070 as well and agree with you on the lack of storage expansion via microSD slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back