NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3,137 of 4,019
go into your system settings and go to about device  under android version does it say 4.04?  Then you have ICS
size]

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,138 of 4,019
My NW-Z1070 arrived from Japan today. Not bad time. Ordered last Thursday, mailed Saturday via EMS and arrived in Brisbane at work today. 

Following the helpful info on this forum, setup to English was easy, and I was up and running in no time. Synced my music across via my Robocopy batch file to the already existing music folder on the Z. Took a while to update the database. Noticed a couple album art images missing. Will sort that out later. I played around with gingerbread for an hour or so, but comparing to my international Z which I updated to ICS as soon as I purchased it, I very quickly decided to update the 64 Z as well. That done, here's a few observations...

1. Clearly the space is the main advantage. Just plain dumb that in a DAP this level there is no microSD. 
  2. Very easy to change the default keyboard to a Qwerty. There's one installed. No need for a third party one.
  3. The provided NC earphones are definitely better than the international ones and pretty damn good actually. Instantly comfortable. The hybrid tips are very kind on your canals. Pretty easy to listen for hours.
  4. Listening to them right now, really quite nice. Maybe a little too forward in the upper mids and treble with just a hint of sibilance on some tracks I've listened to and may not be fast enough to keep up with some busy music. Noticed they got pretty messy on Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. Hurts Like Heaven challenges any earphone or headphone. Just A/Bd them to my W4Rs, and they have no trouble keeping up. And the snare isn't bashing your ears quite like the Sony's.
  5. Bass quality and quantity should suit all except the biggest bass fans. Tried them on a standard test track of Vaughn Williams "Landscape" from his Symphony No7, the Sinfonia Antarctica. At around 7mins 30secs, there's a very low frequency section that must be near the threshold of many phones because it is often almost inaudible. The Sony's had no problem with it.
  6. Tried out the noise cancelling, works pretty well in some home testing. Will give them a go on a plane flight Friday.
  7. There is definitely more volume available on the 64 WM-Z. But you should not damage your ears unless you have very low impedance phones and careless.
  8. Sound quality is as expected. With the phones I use as a reference, my HD25-IIs, the SQ is indistinguishable from the iNternational Z. I know some say that like many Japanese devices they have a bit more treble but gee it must be slight as I am having trouble picking it. But sound quality is very satisfying. 

All in all, I'm very happy I took the plunge. Sure the F is newer and snappier according to an earlier post today, but I like form factor of the Z. Just the right size to carry without being cumbersome and able to use its screen for much more than music alone. 

Happy to answer any specific questions anyone might have so long as it doesn't involve test gear which I don't have any of.

congratz on your new Z. btw I got the 32GB HK version that comes with ex300, does the NWNC33 performs significantly better in International Z than ex300 with all enhancements turned on except dynamic normalizer and surround sound off?
thanks..

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,139 of 4,019
How much does the F series go for now? 

Honestly as much as I love the Z WM, the thing is just too damn big when commuting.  I really miss the size and portability of my X1000 and it having hard fwd/rew buttons.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3,140 of 4,019
Most people carry bags, tablets and laptops around  so how come the size of the Z can be so troublesome 
size]
Well, unless you one of those youngster wearing skinny jeans down your ankles 
size]

But yes the F is probably more up your alley.
size]

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3,141 of 4,019
Quote:
My Walkman Z has gone a bit weird these couple days. There seems to be alot less volume coming out all of a sudden, i figured it may has something to do with the noise cancelling so I disabled it and then enabled it again and the issue is fixed. But this has never happened before. Is anyone else having the same problems?

I had a similar issue recently. I went into Settings > Sound > Volume...then I realized that Media's volume can be set independent of the Master volume somewhat. I moved its tab up to full, and used the Master Volume to set to my desired position. Hence, if the volume for your media is turned all the way down, then no matter how high you set the Master Volume, the sound through your headphones will always be low.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #3,142 of 4,019
Quote:
Most people carry bags, tablets and laptops around  so how come the size of the Z can be so troublesome 
size]
size]

size]

I just find it big, I usually carry my PMP in my coat or pant pocket.  The Z takes up my entire coat left pocket.  I think the sharp corners doesnt help when taking out/putting in. 

Lately ive just been using it around the house and havent been taking it out.  I used to have the x1000 and much prefer that size, it was super compact i could wear it in a shirt pocket and miss the hard fwd/rew buttons.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,143 of 4,019
Quote:

So you have absolutely no hiss with the f111's through the leckerton?
I think i might have found my cheaper solution.

Hi i can't say for sure as my leckerton and f111 are not with me right now. I have sent my f111 to stage93 for them to custom make the fitear socket and i've exchanged my leckerton for vorzuge pure(temporary). But as far as i remember it does not hiss much, but maybe i'm not that sensitive to hiss

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #3,144 of 4,019
Quote:
I just find it big, I usually carry my PMP in my coat or pant pocket.  The Z takes up my entire coat left pocket.  I think the sharp corners doesnt help when taking out/putting in. 

Lately ive just been using it around the house and havent been taking it out.  I used to have the x1000 and much prefer that size, it was super compact i could wear it in a shirt pocket and miss the hard fwd/rew buttons.

The F has a perfect form factor IMO.  You can try to find the A865 or A866 if you love the size of the X1060.  I find the F's size to much more manageable than the Z.  

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3,145 of 4,019
Quote:
size]
size]

size]

I never understood complaints about size either, when dealing with any media player. People used to complain about the Archos Generation 4 and 5 players being huge, but now everyone carries around a brick-sized smartphone around with them.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3,146 of 4,019
Quote:
I never understood complaints about size either, when dealing with any media player. People used to complain about the Archos Generation 4 and 5 players being huge, but now everyone carries around a brick-sized smartphone around with them.

You betya... Look at the size of the new Xperia Z. Now that's a BRICK! But I would agree that the WM-Z is as big as I'd want. 

For portability I found a nice leather Krussel pouch with a neck cable and pocket just the right size for the Z. I hang it on my neck while walking. It's a pocket saver and protects at the same time. Even came with a carabiner to attach to a pant belt loop too. Quality and stylish unit.

izal.. I'm away for a couple days. I'll try to remember to test that for you and get back to you.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3,147 of 4,019
Quote:
I had a similar issue recently. I went into Settings > Sound > Volume...then I realized that Media's volume can be set independent of the Master volume somewhat. I moved its tab up to full, and used the Master Volume to set to my desired position. Hence, if the volume for your media is turned all the way down, then no matter how high you set the Master Volume, the sound through your headphones will always be low.

Ah, thanks. When it first happened I thought there was a problem with the new earphones I brought because everything was fine then then suddenly the volume just dropped.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #3,148 of 4,019
Yeah, it happened again to me today. My hunch is that it does this when the battery is extremely low or when playing games. Could be totally off base though..

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3,149 of 4,019
Quote:
The F has a perfect form factor IMO.  You can try to find the A865 or A866 if you love the size of the X1060.  I find the F's size to much more manageable than the Z.  

Im just waiting for a good price on the F series.  Is the A series you listed the same?  Whats the difference?  Size is a huge factor to me  and why I loved the x1000 so much.  I dont watch videos or use wifi on my PMP, all I use it for is music so i dont need a 5" screen.  its nice but id sacrifice that for more compact form.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3,150 of 4,019
Quote:
Im just waiting for a good price on the F series.  Is the A series you listed the same?  Whats the difference?  Size is a huge factor to me  and why I loved the x1000 so much.  I dont watch videos or use wifi on my PMP, all I use it for is music so i dont need a 5" screen.  its nice but id sacrifice that for more compact form.

The NWZ-A86X is identical in size to the X.  Not as luxurious but sound noticeably better to my ears.  It's sound signature is closer to the Z and is a joy to use.  No wifi or Andriod, just a perfect standard walkman.  Sadly the US version maxed out at 16GB.  Try locating a Southasia 32GB version is your best bet.  Stay away from the Euro as it suffers from a volume cap and inferior sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back