NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,108 of 4,019
Considering purchasing Z1070, Japanese model to get the 64gb of storage. From the bits I can make out the default language is Japanese obviously, but after changing to english, does the device stay in English? And to update to ICS, do I have to find the Japanese download or can I use our local Australian firmware for Z1050/1060?

Some guidance from a Z1070 owner appreciated. Thanks 

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #3,110 of 4,019
My Walkman Z has gone a bit weird these couple days. There seems to be alot less volume coming out all of a sudden, i figured it may has something to do with the noise cancelling so I disabled it and then enabled it again and the issue is fixed. But this has never happened before. Is anyone else having the same problems?

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3,111 of 4,019
Quote:

walkman Z definitely better than xperia S in audio quality

That really puts me into a spot. Spending 300€ for an outdated hardware (2011), but for excellent SQ, or selling my Xperia S, plus some more money to get me the Xperia Z, hoping it will improve SQ over the S.

If the Z Walkman wasn't an Android device... It would be an easier choice, but I hate buying outdated hardware at premium prices.

How about the SQ of the lower end of the Walkmans? E Series? 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #3,112 of 4,019
Newer doesn't always mean better. I bought a Walkman Z to use as an alternate to my iBasso DX when I walk and to use for wifi streams. The DX has poor wifi. The Z is not a mile back in SQ from the DX and certainly better than my iPhone 5 which is a work device so I'm limited to how I use it.

Unfortunately the Z is only a 16gb model and I want more space. I thought of waiting for the Xperia Z but seems the audio chip is not as good as the Walkman. Besides its too big and I don't need a phone. The only plus is the MicroSD slot. So I've decided to get a 64gb Z1070 from Japan and sell the 1050. 

The thing is... I think it's wise to buy a device for its primary purpose. Walkman/Sansa/DX/Cowon etc for music and Xperia/Galaxy/iPhone etc for phone. Convergent devices are always a compromise of sorts and the attention to detail and performance should be on their primary purpose. I had various phone PDAs in the early days of Windows Mobile and they weren't good phones because they were seen as PDAs first. At least iPhone updates were always better phones than their predecessors. My view is the Walkman Z is a well sorted device for most media usage. I chose it over the F because I think it still has some sorting out to do. The Z is nice to carry in a little neck pouch without looking dorky with a nice responsive UI and recently updated to ICS. Might be like a car, the first run of a new model invariably has issues. It's the latter runs that are sorted. I know this all too well from being an early adopter which I've now let others do. Look at the issues with iRiver and their AK100 as an example. Nice DAP but with issues. And the DX is just now getting sorted. The Walkman Z is sorted.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3,113 of 4,019
Quote:
Considering purchasing Z1070, Japanese model to get the 64gb of storage. From the bits I can make out the default language is Japanese obviously, but after changing to english, does the device stay in English? And to update to ICS, do I have to find the Japanese download or can I use our local Australian firmware for Z1050/1060?

Once you change the language to English everything stays that way when you update. You might need to download a new on-screen keyboard to replace the standard one, but that's only due to the layout not the language.
Also you will have to use the Japanese firmware, as the Australian will not work.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,115 of 4,019
Quote:

You might want to read thru the posts in the thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603440/sony-walkman-nw-z1070-japan-version-help-for-dummies-thread

It was a work-in-progress type of thing, so some early ideas didn't quite pan out, but we eventually made some progress.  Be aware that some of the bundled software in your new Z won't load onto English Windows.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3,116 of 4,019
Thanks for the heads up and yes I have read through that thread. It did seem to get bogged down on those Japanese apps too much. I use Media Monkey to manage my music and a batch file uses Robocopy to sync my music to my DAPs so Media Go is unneeded. 

With all this forum's helpful threads and elsewhere, I have satisfied myself that I am getting what I want most without any real drawbacks and that is decent storage. I wouldn't even needed the 1070 if Sony weren't so lousy and out a microSD slot in the damn things. They've done that clearly to make us pay for memory but then restrict the opportunity to purchase by selling only the 16gb now in Australia and at most 32gb elsewhere. I just don't get it. There is a limited market for PMPs with so many smartphones doing the job for many. And Apple's iPod Touch comes in a 64gb available everywhere. So the only audience for the Z are going to be people like us who in all probability have large libraries of music and want to carry it with us. I would have bought a Cowon Z2 or something else with a SD slot if I didn't believe the WM-Z was so much better. And I'm not talking SQ... I have a DX100 for pure music pleasure. It's the decent wifi for streaming, lightweight yet robust build quality, well sorted apps, FM radio for when there's no wifi, DLNA capability, and perfect size... Not too large and not too small for me.

End of rant.... Watch the FS forum for my 16gb Z in a few weeks if anyone's interested. Happy to take EOI early. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3,118 of 4,019
My wife has an Xperia Arc and it's not bad but not as good as the Walkman Z IMO. Nor is the player up to the WM-Z in features etc...

I think I've read conflicting reports about Xperia Z's DAC. Surely we need to wait until the reviews and some member's comments come in before judging though. I was interested in the Xperia Z but the size has put me off...

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,119 of 4,019
Quote:
My wife has an Xperia Arc and it's not bad but not as good as the Walkman Z IMO. Nor is the player up to the WM-Z in features etc...

I think I've read conflicting reports about Xperia Z's DAC. Surely we need to wait until the reviews and some member's comments come in before judging though. I was interested in the Xperia Z but the size has put me off...

Why too big? 

I guess its pretty hard to find a current phone out that matches the Z for SQ hey?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #3,120 of 4,019
I've really gotten used to iPhones the past few years and as a phone, the iPhone 5 just seems ideal to me. Nice in the hand and pocket. But SQ is ordinary after you've heard a iBasso DX100 or even the WM-Z. I am just thinking that a 5inch screen in the Xperia Z is going to be too big but I know there seems to be a trend towards them. I will still look at them closely in case I feel I could use one instead of an iPad or iPad mini when it comes time to hand my work iPad in next year. I didn't like Android early on but now I've spent some time with it, I am starting to come around to its more flexible IU than Apple's. 

Anyhow, my Japanese WM-Z should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the subtle differences compare with my local Aussie 16gb one. I'll soon know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back