NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Nov 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #2,746 of 4,019
Quote:
Just wondering, has anyone have any experiences driving the harder to drive full sized cans like the HD 650, LCD-2, HD 800, or even one of the HiFiMAN orthos straight from the headphone out of a Z/F?  Was debating if I should grab an amp for my Z1050 16GB or perhaps look into grabbing the F807 64GB (if these things can drive those sorts of headphones really well) as I have to keep shuffling music off the Z due to limited space... Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I drive AKG501s off of a Z1060. The Z is the first mp3 player I have heard that is capable of driving the notoriously hard-to-drive 501s to listenable levels. However, the 501s definitely called for some amplification, so I took a there-is-no-way-I-can-lose-at-this-price attitude and bought a Fiio E11 amp. Brilliant. No loss of fidelity, gained gobs of power. The combo just sounds really good. Obviously the Fiio is not a high-end headphone amp. It fails to cut the mustard when hooked up to the big rig in my lounge. But I lose nothing when it is hooked up to the Walkman Z; in fact, I can more clearly hear the Walkman's limitations once the Fiio is hooked up. Was of great benefit with my Shure SE425s too. The Sony Walkman Z-series with Fiio E11 is a highly recommended cost-effective combination.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2,747 of 4,019
I drive AKG501s off of a Z1060. The Z is the first mp3 player I have heard that is capable of driving the notoriously hard-to-drive 501s to listenable levels. However, the 501s definitely called for some amplification, so I took a there-is-no-way-I-can-lose-at-this-price attitude and bought a Fiio E11 amp. Brilliant. No loss of fidelity, gained gobs of power. The combo just sounds really good. Obviously the Fiio is not a high-end headphone amp. It fails to cut the mustard when hooked up to the big rig in my lounge. But I lose nothing when it is hooked up to the Walkman Z; in fact, I can more clearly hear the Walkman's limitations once the Fiio is hooked up. Was of great benefit with my Shure SE425s too. The Sony Walkman Z-series with Fiio E11 is a highly recommended cost-effective combination.

Interesting... I'm thinking of getting the E11, although more for the A844 with the ATH-M50... No harm in trying with the Z when I get it though...

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2,750 of 4,019
After downloading the update and restarting, its giving me "Failed to update the system software to version 1.10. (Error code: 11)" anyone facing this?

Japanese also F807

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,753 of 4,019
Quote:
Yeah it happened to me too. This happened a few times. I tried it again the next day and it suddenly worked though.  

I even downloaded the update manually directly to my PC and tried to update directly, but still the same!!!

What is your advice?

New FW version 2.00 for Z1000 series in Japanese

http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/Z1000/NW-Z1000_V2_00_0000.exe

New FW version 1.10 for F800 series in Japanese

http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/F800/NW-F800_V1_10_0000.exe

English updates should follow soon.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,754 of 4,019
I am still unable to update the F, but the Z has the 2.00 update now!!
Now I have Android 4.0.4 and full flac support on the Z

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2,756 of 4,019
Can anyone comment on how is the file handling and transferring experience?

I have mostly FLAC files that are not all that organized in terms of tagging.  I gather that I would have to use a 3rd party player like Winamp Pro to be able to play FLAC.  I see that Winamp allows wireless transfer of songs as well ~ BUT I have tried it on my older android phone several months ago and the experience was pretty crummy in terms of speed and reliability of the transfer.  This was done within a few feet of the router and source computer as well so connection strength should not have been an issue.

Would simple drag and drop of the files work OK?  Has anyone tried the winamp wireless transfer?  Does the unorganized tagging become a problem?  TIA!

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,757 of 4,019
Also to add, I've been using an iPod 7th Gen classic for a while now.  Mostly as my car stereo source.  It only plays mp3 as I haven't Rockboxed.  I end having to convert from FLAC to MP3 and input into iTunes which helps somewhat with the tagging (2cd sets are a PITA).  The headphone output is OK on the iPod but I gather the Sony should be better.  The file transfer experience with the iPod is much better than what I had to deal with when I had a Zune; I'd like to not lower the experience any worse than it is currently is probably my biggest concern.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,758 of 4,019
@Mr Sneis - I take it you have the US version of the Z walkman. A new driver/software (released today) is available to play Flac for the Z series sold in the US. It should be able to play Flac with the native player that came with it.

If you have the 32gb version, the update can be found below
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NWZZ1060BLK&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #2,760 of 4,019
Quote:
Nice!  Any idea how it handles mis-matched tagged files?

Like most player, you will have problems with it.  However, you can browse using folder option.

Just installed ICS update on the Z now.  Flac is now native with the Z walkman.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back