NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #2,717 of 4,019
Quote:
I am liking you more and more...
rolleyes.gif

cool.gif

How are walkmans holding on?

Between the Z and F which do you prefer?

I found myself abandoning the F due to its small size. I didnt have a 'James Bond' feel to it
ph34r.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2,718 of 4,019
:cool:

How is your walkman holding on?

Between the Z and F which do you prefer?

I found myself abandoning the F due to its small size. I didnt have a 'James Bond' feel to it (since Sony endorses 007 now.):ph34r:

Me?
Its holding well, I like them both, one for electronic the other for classical and vocals.

If I was forced to chose, I would take the F....

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,719 of 4,019
It's been mentioned but I wanted to make sure.  MOG and Spotify won't work on the Z Japan versions am I correct?  I wanted to make sure before taking a plunge for the 64 gig 1070 Japan version.  Thanks in advance to those willing to see.....I have no problem with rooting but it seems the new firmware won't root properly with the known method.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,720 of 4,019
Quote:
Me?
Its holding well, I like them both, one for electronic the other for classical and vocals.
If I was forced to chose, I would take the F....

Can I take it for granted that the Z is filled with electronic & F with classical and vocals?

I guess thats what it was (for me), I found the F less satisfying with electronic. It didnt occur to me to put vocals in it!

Turokrocks, every post of yours is a winner!
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,721 of 4,019
Well I know Spotify and MOG both have android apps (I run them on my S3), but I read from some past posts that maybe Japanese versions lock out the US Android market in some way so we can't install the apps.  Just trying to see if this is true and wanted existing Japanese Z owners to give it a whirl if possible.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2,722 of 4,019
Can I take it for granted that the Z is filled with electronic & F with classical and vocals?

I guess thats what it was (for me), I found the F less satisfying with electronic. It didnt occur to me to put vocals in it!

Turokrocks, every post of yours is a winner!:beerchug:

Spot on. I am here to serve...:beerchug:

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #2,724 of 4,019
Which brings me to the question, when are you going to get your Z????

I didn't get a tracking number.  I just found satisfaction in my portable amplifier after sleepless XX hours of tweaking, I'm so happy, finally some needed end-game feeling.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2,725 of 4,019
Quote:
Came across an NWZ-A844 for cheap... 8GB only but always wanted one of those and couldn't resist... With the Z, my trusty A818 and an NW-E507 that makes my fourth walkman... I think I caught some disease and didn't even notice... And to think I swore off Sony after my minidisc died... So much for that!

Since some may have A84X/A85X, here's a coupe of questions: it came with the WMC-NW010 cable which looks like an LOD, it goes from the Sony proprietary connector to a mini jack... But is it a LOD? The manual calls it an Audio Input Cable.

Question 2: the A844 came with noise cancelling headphones; would those work with the Z?

Here are my replies:

1) That WMC-NW010 is not a Line Out Dock (LOD) cable.  It is a line input cable.  This cable allows user to feed audio signal while using a noise reduction/cancelling function.  It is very useful for an in-flight entertainment.

2) Those noise cancelling headphones will only work with the Japanese Z as units from other regions do not come with noise canceling software.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,727 of 4,019
Quote:
I just bought Sony E472 earphones!!!! and a Sony cassette tape player, and some cool cassettes!!!!

Good night. ~

Great find.  I still have the E472 as well as E484.  Wonder if Sony will ever resume to make great sounding earbuds like the E484.  I was searching for a pair of E484 back 15 years ago...and it lead me to headwize.com .....and then headfi.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,728 of 4,019
Just wondering, has anyone have any experiences driving the harder to drive full sized cans like the HD 650, LCD-2, HD 800, or even one of the HiFiMAN orthos straight from the headphone out of a Z/F?  Was debating if I should grab an amp for my Z1050 16GB or perhaps look into grabbing the F807 64GB (if these things can drive those sorts of headphones really well) as I have to keep shuffling music off the Z due to limited space... Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #2,729 of 4,019
Quote:
Just wondering, has anyone have any experiences driving the harder to drive full sized cans like the HD 650, LCD-2, HD 800, or even one of the HiFiMAN orthos straight from the headphone out of a Z/F?  Was debating if I should grab an amp for my Z1050 16GB or perhaps look into grabbing the F807 64GB (if these things can drive those sorts of headphones really well) as I have to keep shuffling music off the Z due to limited space... Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

With both the Z or F, the HE-500  showed only 25-30% of what it is capable of, with max volume.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,730 of 4,019
I just bought Sony E472 earphones!!!! and a Sony cassette tape player, and some cool cassettes!!!!

Good night. ~

Great find.  I still have the E472 as well as E484.  Wonder if Sony will ever resume to make great sounding earbuds like the E484.  I was searching for a pair of E484 back 15 years ago...and it lead me to headwize.com .....and then headfi.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Since the portable audio niche is becoming more and more popular in Japan now (earphone otakus, or whatever), and even girls use them for fashion, the market sector is good, so you never know!  Sony may re-release some good earbuds, they acquired Aiwa too, so they should be able to re-release the Aiwa technology too.  I think they already did use an Aiwa technique in one modern earphone, but that's a secret. =]

I haven't heard the 'special' Sony earphones yet, but I have a collection of "standard" Sony earphones which I used my whole younger life, until I bought the Koss PortaPro (didn't like it very much), then the SA-5000 and a vintage amp, then I signed up on head-fi in 2010, to keep chasing sonic rainbows... little did I know, I wouldn't advance very much further than the SA5k, lol.  A friend of a friend told me it 'sucked', well people that like warm and natural sound think the Qualia sucks too.  Neutral and natural is so overrated, imho.  Why spend $2000+ on a flat, neutral sound which I hear every single day, for free, anyway? Lol!  Silly high-end meets "it sounds just like... nothingness!! I take it on and off, no difference!!  It's invisible!!".

The Qualia (and it's cousins) are like night-vision goggles, they will show you more than nothingness, like a tool to the music.  Likewise, many Audio Technicas have the label Art on them, for a reason.  The engineers know they don't measure neutral, lol, they also know they can't 'see' the voicing of Titanium and wood on their screen.  I'm so tired of the 'neutral' misconception all over this site, one reason I want to leave.

Anyway with the E472 and a cassette tape player, the Z1070, a few new top-top IEM's (aiming for some auditions if I have time, in Japan), and my awesome portable amps modifications (I discovered LT1363 yesterday, it's the detail I've always coveted for), I'll reach my end-game feeling soon, so I can focus more on music once more, not audio.  Currently, I only listen to the same music over and over and over and over, never anything new, since I only want to hear the 'audio' nuances and tones, not any new music, it's a little crazy in third-person perspective, for someone musical like me.

Sorry for the long story, now back to the Z hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back